Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jay Leno bids farewell to his 'Tonight Show'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Never could understand the heat he took when he was chosen over Letterman when Carson left, I cant stomach Dave.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/emotional-jay-l...ector.html

He would be a perfect for FOX IMO.

Edit: Here is the video of him thanking the fans,staff, tv audience.

http://youtu.be/BM9T1oO_umM

The sad part is, it was his last show and I still wanted to watch Jimmy Kimmell.  It was the follow up to the Matt Damon thing. 

I fell asleep before both.

Quote:The sad part is, it was his last show and I still wanted to watch Jimmy Kimmell.  It was the follow up to the Matt Damon thing. 

I fell asleep before both.

Agree.

I would just DVR both shows because its easy for me to forget to watch either one of the shows.

Quote:Never could understand the heat he took when he was chosen over Letterman when Carson left, I cant stomach Dave.

You'll be shocked to know I've been a Letterman fan since the days of his morning show.

That Jay got The Tonight Show job didn't bother me too much, because I like Jay and Dave, and could always watch both via the magic of VCR/DVRs. I've been a fan, to the point of nerd-dom, of talk shows since I was a kid staying up later than allowed watching Johnny Carson from New York City. Those we special shows, 1.5 (originally 1.75) hours long, the guests often already deep into happy hour. Everyone stayed, just moved down the couch. More than once a surprise guest would show up, and there would be no room left for Ed McMahon.

Leno has been irrelevant to me for many years now.  He phones it in and is often just not funny.    He had a great run - and I enjoy his show on car collecting - but he just stopped being funny a long time ago to me. 

On a personal note - I'm happy the new tonight show will be in NYC and that two of my colleagues landed great gigs working on the new show. 

I don't find any of the late night people to be funny besides Craig Ferguson, then again I'm not even usually up at that time. 

meh I haven't seen 11:30 in a long time, I'm struggling to keep the eyes open at 9:00 most of the time.

I always liked Leno.  I felt he was one of the few late night show hosts who didn't seem to side too heavily with either side of the aisle with politics where his jokes were concerned.  Then again, I didn't grow up with Johnny Carson.  He retired well before I was allowed to stay up late.  

Wonder how long it will be before NBC gives him the job back though.  Or will it finally be final?

I've always been a Leno fan and watched this lastnight.

I'm also a big fan of Jimmy Fallon now and am looking forward to his show being on earlier now.
I was fortunate to get to go to a Leno Tonight show about 6 years. Great fun. Jay comes out about 15-20 minutes before the show in his jeans and says hi to everybody and tells everybody what to expect. He then goes back to his dressing room to change into his suit and finish with makeup, etc.

Quote:You'll be shocked to know I've been a Letterman fan since the days of his morning show.

That Jay got The Tonight Show job didn't bother me too much, because I like Jay and Dave, and could always watch both via the magic of VCR/DVRs. I've been a fan, to the point of nerd-dom, of talk shows since I was a kid staying up later than allowed watching Johnny Carson from New York City. Those we special shows, 1.5 (originally 1.75) hours long, the guests often already deep into happy hour. Everyone stayed, just moved down the couch. More than once a surprise guest would show up, and there would be no room left for Ed McMahon.

That's what got me hooked on Leno. All the guests seemed very comfortable with him. In watching old clips of Carson, I could get a feel for him as well, but I thought he never really warmed up to the crowd. Leno on the other hand was the exact opposite, he mingled with the first few rows of his crowd. And that carried over to his J-Walking skit.

Quote:Leno has been irrelevant to me for many years now.  He phones it in and is often just not funny.    He had a great run - and I enjoy his show on car collecting - but he just stopped being funny a long time ago to me. 

On a personal note - I'm happy the new tonight show will be in NYC and that two of my colleagues landed great gigs working on the new show. 

When I was in California last month I dismissed it as a rumor when people was telling me the show could move back east.

For the first few years, its going to feel weird seeing the Tonight Show being filmed in NYC. It was most definitely a staple out there.

Quote:I always liked Leno.  I felt he was one of the few late night show hosts who didn't seem to side too heavily with either side of the aisle with politics where his jokes were concerned.  Then again, I didn't grow up with Johnny Carson.  He retired well before I was allowed to stay up late.  

Wonder how long it will be before NBC gives him the job back though.  Or will it finally be final?

That's the exact thing makes me a fan of Leno. He pokes fun at all races, gender, political affiliations without turning the show political.

During the last few years of former President Bush's presidency, Letterman dedicated about 15-20 minutes of his show to diatribes about Bush. I already was a lukewarm fan of his,but it just became a turn off. Either do what Leno did, or stay out of the political arena altogether. 

I think it will be final. Like NYC said above, its time for fresh talent.

Quote:I've always been a Leno fan and watched this lastnight.

I'm also a big fan of Jimmy Fallon now and am looking forward to his show being on earlier now.

Same here, for some reason I think this will boost Fallon's star even higher.
Quote:I was fortunate to get to go to a Leno Tonight show about 6 years. Great fun. Jay comes out about 15-20 minutes before the show in his jeans and says hi to everybody and tells everybody what to expect. He then goes back to his dressing room to change into his suit and finish with makeup, etc.

That's why I was so ticked off I couldn't get tickets last month. 
Looking forward to seeing more of Fallon. He does more re music than Letterman or Leno.

Anyone who can do Neil Young is a genius in my book.

Didn't even know Leno was still around.. Guess i need to watch more TV..
Quote:That's what got me hooked on Leno. All the guests seemed very comfortable with him. In watching old clips of Carson, I could get a feel for him as well, but I thought he never really warmed up to the crowd. Leno on the other hand was the exact opposite, he mingled with the first few rows of his crowd. And that carried over to his J-Walking skit.

When I was in California last month I dismissed it as a rumor when people was telling me the show could move back east.

For the first few years, its going to feel weird seeing the Tonight Show being filmed in NYC. It was most definitely a staple out there.

That's the exact thing makes me a fan of Leno. He pokes fun at all races, gender, political affiliations without turning the show political.

During the last few years of former President Bush's presidency, Letterman dedicated about 15-20 minutes of his show to diatribes about Bush. I already was a lukewarm fan of his,but it just became a turn off. Either do what Leno did, or stay out of the political arena altogether. 

I think it will be final. Like NYC said above, its time for fresh talent.

Same here, for some reason I think this will boost Fallon's star even higher.

Fallon and Letterman in NYC together will be interesting. To me, it's a better location for a talk show with the city being right outside the studios.

The monologue from Dave the first night his show returned after 9/11 won him a lot of hearts in NY.

There was a classic moment on The Tonight Show, maybe my favorite single talk show moment ever. Comedian George Gobel was his guest, and the previous guest, Dean Martin, was beside Gobel on the couch. Both Gobel and Martin had beverages in styrofoam cups (obviously not coffee), Gobel holding his in his right hand as he was turned towards Johnny, telling some joke. As he was turned away, Dean Martin would flick the ashes from his cigarette into Gobel's cup. Carson could see him do it, and barely controlled his laughter. After he finished the long joke, Gobels, who had a slow, dead pan delivery and style, proceeded to drink from the cup, Carson and Martin nearly hit the floor laughing, Gobels feigning ignorance the whole time. Such a simple, yet hilarious, moment.