Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Roy Miller
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is this guy the "X" factor for the Jags when it comes to drafting a DT, or even upgrading it somehow? The guy didn't have a stellar year, but by all accounts, he was a medical wreck. That leaves the question, what do the Jags have with the guy? Does he come back healthy and become a viable DT for the Jags, or is he just another name to come and go?

I really don't have a feel for the guy. The eyeball test says he won't be the answer. However, over the past season, I heard snippets from guys like Lageman about how he has basically played with one arm. If that's the case, what's his ceiling when healthy? I know Caldwell was pretty high on the guy.

I think he's one of the turnkeys of the draft and free agent strategy. He could either solidify a position, or prove that there's a gaping hole.

I wish I knew the answer.

He would be best used in a rotation. He's an ok player but very upgradeable.
Turnaround candidate. He wasn't good last year but he was good in the years before that, he's young, and he was fighting a serious injury. A 2-down run-stuffing NT isn't a premium position that you have to plan long-term for so I expect he'll be the starter this year. If he's good, sign him for a couple more years. If he's bad, let him go and find someone next year. The most I see them doing is drafting a guy on the 3rd day as a backup and potential replacement.
It seems our defensive line has gotten better under Bradley. Miller wasn't great but he wasn't bad. He doesnt get the stats but his role isn't going to show on the stat sheet. Id like to see him take another step after spending the off season healthy. Here's hoping, for the team and fans
If Miller is healthy he will be a big plus especially in run D.  I still wouldnt mind getting Daniel McCullers in the mid rounds.  With Dave's coaching and player development I think he can be special.

For Roy Miller, see Marcedes Lewis, Uche Nwarnari, Paul Posluszny.

Aging vet players, unlikely to get any better, a replacement/someone to push them would be nice, but we have several positions with a much more urgent need of upgrade and it wont make or brake the season to have all of them starting week 1.

Bring in some competition.

He needs to earn his place like everyone else.

Yeah. he's just a veteran guy. hope he can improve his play when healthy this year
He's just another vet guy. He could play better, but is fine in his role.  I expect him to do better next season. He seems like a really cool guy.

Quote:For Roy Miller, see Marcedes Lewis, Uche Nwarnari, Paul Posluszny.

Aging vet players, unlikely to get any better, a replacement/someone to push them would be nice, but we have several positions with a much more urgent need of upgrade and it wont make or brake the season to have all of them starting week 1.
26 is a "aging vet player"?  You want your whole team to be 25 and under?

Roy Miller played well at TB. He played injured this year, and is a decent player when healthy. If he is healthy, there are other starting needs. If not healthy, a replacement is needed. There are quite a few options in the draft for a run-plugging NT-type.
Quote:26 is a "aging vet player"?  You want your whole team to be 25 and under?

Is he that young? I thought he was a bit older. Either way, 26 years old, 5th year in the league. He is what he is.
It's not out of the relm of possibility that Miller plays a bit better if he's 100% healthy next season.  

That said  - he only has 1 year remaining on his contract - so I don't think his presence will influence them taking a DT in the draft if they really like a guy.  
I still would like to see what we have with a 100% guy in Miller in this scheme. It could be little more than we've already seen, or it could be significantly improved. Also, we may find that a healthy Miller is a pipe-dream too.

At least it's something to kick around. It's not like there is a overload of Jag news as of late.