Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: RIP Pete Seeger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Legendary folk singer/songwriter and social activist Pete Seeger passed.away yesterday. He was 94. Seeger wrote or co-wrote many songs now considered standards, including If I Had a Hammer and a song made famous by The Byrds, Turn, Turn, Turn.

RIP Pete Seeger, an enduring symbol of a remarkable generation and era.

In the 1960s, Pete Seeger hosted a TV show that ran for one season called Rainbow Quest, from which clips and episodes can be viewed on Youtube. In this one, Pete joins in with Judy Collins as she sings Turn, Turn, Turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHarJn1Bjh0

Wow.  94.  He was an icon.   Rest well, Mr. Seeger. 

This photo of <span>Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Pete Seeger, Charis Horton, Rosa Parks, and Ralph Abernathy was taken </span>at the Highlander Center in 1957, which was located at that time near Monteagle, TN, about 15 miles from where I live. The Highlander School, as locals referred to it when I was young, was  something of a social activism think tank. One of their programs trained activists on non-violent protest techniques. Rosa Parks was "trained" there, so to speak. They were also involved in organizing unions, and were the target of violent attacks instigated by local coal mining interests.

[Image: king-seeger-horton-parks-abernathy.jpg]

Just got my Rolling Stone and they have a tremendous article about the life of Seeger.  Truly amazing individual.  People who are not familiar with Seeger, or those who are, should all check it out.

Quote:Just got my Rolling Stone and they have a tremendous article about the life of Seeger.  Truly amazing individual.  People who are not familiar with Seeger, or those who are, should all check it out.

An amazing life indeed. Kind of the last link to the old-style leftists who were pro Soviet Union (before they found out what Stalin was really all about), pro union, pro civil rights - sort of libertarian, sort of Frank Capra we're from the government and we're here to help you.

A true passing of an era.