Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Did they ever finish the 295 loop around Jacksonville?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Just a question from an out of stater to those that know the area best. I remember last time I was in Jacksonville, which was about 10 years ago....the loop was not yet complete for 295. 

It's complete. Been done for some time now.
A wonderful thing.

I found out the hard way that 295 just goes in a circle.
Quote:A wonderful thing.

Oh, no, you didn't...
Quote:I found out the hard way that 295 just goes in a circle.

I remember the first time I did that haha
This was a long time before I-295 was anywhere near a complete loop, but in the 70s my grandmother was visiting us when we lived in Riverside. She was going down Riverside Avenue, headed to the Sears downtown store (yes, there was a Sears downtown). She got stuck in the turn lane that forced you to go across the old Acosta Bridge. Not knowing how to find her way back, she ended up going on I-95. She remembered that my dad taught in Orange Park, so she exited onto I-295 when she saw that it led to Orange Park. After crossing the Buckman Bridge (only one span completed), she recognized Blanding Blvd., because she remembered that my dad's school was at the corner of Blanding and Kingsley Ave. After exiting, she saw Orange Park Mall, and...Sears.

The first thing she did when she got into the mall was find a pay phone to call my dad. He later told me her first question was "Why did you tell me Sears was just a few minutes away?!?!".

How many years ago did this finally get completed?

Don't make me post it.

Bout a year now I would guess, but it's been there for ten or more years the eastern half wasjust called 9A.
Quote:Bout a year now I would guess, but it's been there for ten or more years the eastern half wasjust called 9A.

Huh?....So the road was there the whole time? I thought it was under construction. 
Quote:Huh?....So the road was there the whole time? I thought it was under construction.

The under construction part was connecting to two roads together. They were two separate roads.
I still call the eastern part of it 9A
Quote:I still call the eastern part of it 9A

Rebel.
Quote:Rebel.

Or to stupid to know when to change lol
Quote:Or to stupid to know when to change lol

According to Wikipedia, which I found by *shocker* Googling, that stretch of road still carries a hidden designation as SR 9A.
Quote:According to Wikipedia, which I found by *shocker* Googling, that stretch of road still carries a hidden designation as SR 9A.

Before they finished the loop didn't it end at the naval base? Or am I not remembering that right?
Which end, and which base?

Quote:Before they finished the loop didn't it end at the naval base? Or am I not remembering that right?

Don't think you are remembering it right. 9a went from the Northside to the Southside...no bases at either end.
Quote:Don't think you are remembering it right. 9a went from the Northside to the Southside...no bases at either end.

What road used to dead end into may port then? I remember ending up there by accident one time
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5