Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jacksonville to get snow next week
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Forecast models are showing a dusting to up to 3 inches of snow in the Jacksonville area around the next Wednseday/ Thursday time frame. 

When is the last time Jacksonville had any measurable snowfall? 1989?

we had snow in St. Augustine in 97ish? I was in the 7th grade I think?

3 inches that's a lot of snow? Are they saying it's going to stay on the ground and not melt this time?

The same system is supposed to whallop coastal South & North Carolina with 6-12 inches of snow. 

'89 is the last time I remember decent snowfall, if you could call it that.
if they get 3 inches of snow I'm taking the kids up there to see it, I've never seen actual real snow on the ground myself.

I remember 1989. We were sledding down a neighbor's yard on cardboard. Pretty cool.

Quote:I remember 1989. We were sledding down a neighbor's yard on cardboard. Pretty cool.

You mean there is a hill somewhere in Florida? I've seen slight declines at best, unless it was headed into a retention pond.
All the reports I see as of now have us getting 50-55 degree high temps. So if by chance we get snow I don't think it'll be around long. The low temps are below freezing, but it guess it depends on what time we get precipitation? Idk. I'm not going to hold my breath.
Quote:All the reports I see as of now have us getting 50-55 degree high temps. So if by chance we get snow I don't think it'll be around long. The low temps are below freezing, but it guess it depends on what time we get precipitation? Idk. I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm going by the forecast computer models of the ECMWF and the Canadian. The GFS is slowly coming around too. 
Quote:I remember 1989. We were sledding down a neighbor's yard on cardboard. Pretty cool.

We used baking pan and had socks for gloves. Lol, It was crazy.
Didn't the 1989 snow come on Christmas Eve? I left for vacation the morning before it came, and the weather at my destination, Tennessee, was better than in Jacksonville.

I had two roommates at that time. One called me after I arrived and said the other one had gone with his girlfriend to her house to get her pets inside. On route they wrecked into the back of a JTA bus that was stranded on the southbound side of the Ortega Bridge. They were only going 35 mph but there was too much ice and too little warning to stop. It messed both of them up pretty bad.

If we get snow I'm definitely going to revert back to one of my favorite activities growing up in the north.

..... sit inside and drink.

Quote:You mean there is a hill somewhere in Florida? I've seen slight declines at best, unless it was headed into a retention pond.
The neighborhood I grew up in had a spot with a little elevation change. This house's slope was actually pretty steep. A good 20-25 yards too.

We were able to slide down, onto the street and into our yard.

You dag gone right!
Ha, feel my pain Floridians!
Please...snow...and enough to cancel work!

There were briefly flurries at the stadium, i believe 3 years ago?  I was out of town and missed the game but my tailgate buds sent me pics.  Of course i'll be out of town next week as well.  I remember that '89 cold front, i lived down south and woke up to legit ice cycles on all the trees in my neighborhood.  Couldn't believe it.

I remember the '89 snow.  The Dames Point Bridge had just opened a few months prior.  It (like most of the bridges) was closed that day - so my brother and I grabbed a couple of boogie boards and hiked about halfway up the southern slope of it and did some impromptu sledding!  (december 23, 1989 - I was 15 years old)

BTW  - here's my car on tuesday night before I dug it out. 

[Image: 1zqfytf.jpg]

Quote:Didn't the 1989 snow come on Christmas Eve? I left for vacation the morning before it came, and the weather at my destination, Tennessee, was better than in Jacksonville.

I had two roommates at that time. One called me after I arrived and said the other one had gone with his girlfriend to her house to get her pets inside. On route they wrecked into the back of a JTA bus that was stranded on the southbound side of the Ortega Bridge. They were only going 35 mph but there was too much ice and too little warning to stop. It messed both of them up pretty bad.

Yep...we had a white Christmas that year. I was thrilled because I worked at Iveys in the Orange Park mall and I wasn't able to get to work the day after Christmas and deal with all the returns and crap that you usually have after Xmas.
Quote:I remember the '89 snow.  The Dames Point Bridge had just opened a few months prior.  It (like most of the bridges) was closed that day - so my brother and I grabbed a couple of boogie boards and hiked about halfway up the southern slope of it and did some impromptu sledding!  (december 23, 1989)

BTW  - here's my car on tuesday night before I dug it out. 

[Image: 1zqfytf.jpg]

Screw that
Pages: 1 2 3