Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Augie Debiase - Home Schooled Athletes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK -- Is this really what high school athletics has come down to?

8th Grade - Augie shows up out of the blue at Landrum Middle School (8th).  He's 15 years old, most of the players are 13 years old.

9th Grade - Augie decides not to go to Ponte Vedra HS because they would not guarantee him a starting QB position as a Freshman.  Augie players for Neaase in 9th grade.

10th Grade - Augie Transfers to Providence HS

11th Grade (next year) - Augie will be playing for Fletcher HS

This is a Joke  !!!!  It's totally ridiculous that the FHSAA would allow home schooled players to transfer from school to school.  I'm sure they are circumventing the system by renting out an apt for the year or something but there needs to be some kind of controls put in place for these Home Schooled kids that never even show up to 1 single class.  

Quote:OK -- Is this really what high school athletics has come down to?

8th Grade - Augie shows up out of the blue at Landrum Middle School (8th).  He's 15 years old, most of the players are 13 years old.

9th Grade - Augie decides not to go to Ponte Vedra HS because they would not guarantee him a starting QB position as a Freshman.  Augie players for Neaase in 9th grade.

10th Grade - Augie Transfers to Providence HS

11th Grade (next year) - Augie will be playing for Fletcher HS

This is a Joke  !!!!  It's totally ridiculous that the FHSAA would allow home schooled players to transfer from school to school.  I'm sure they are circumventing the system by renting out an apt for the year or something but there needs to be some kind of controls put in place for these Home Schooled kids that never even show up to 1 single class.  
I am a HS coach and this has what it has come down too for sure. Kids will look at other schools and see where they have a shot to play as early as possible. Fletcher graduates their QB who isn't bad himself (a coach's son).

This practice is becoming more and more common. Both the age thing (holding kids back) and transferring. You can't just rent an apartment and say, "Hey, we live in the school district, we are good.". You have to actually live there. The FHSAA can make regular visits to see this is being done. I have seen it happen before.

The FHSAA has started to reign in the age thing though. It use to by 19 years and 9 months, they just lowered it to 19 years, which competitively makes much more sense.

Where I am at we have lost kids because there were guys ahead of them who were better. They'd transfer out to play immediately else where.

I am torn. Part of me says to stay and tough it out. Eventually, if you are good enough, the cream will rise. Another part of me says that the kid and parents should be free to transfer (legally) if it means a better shot for their kid to get college paid for.
I'm all about school choice and vouchers for everyone, not just home schooled kids. IMO schools should have to compete for students, forcing them to improve in all areas, academics, athletics and so on.

Do I like that the home school kid seems to have an advantage getting to pick and chose where he wants to play, no. The problem is bigger then this one kid or situation.