Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Roster Shakedown And Breakdown
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Player by player evaluation going forward:

Brandon Allen - Under contract. See how he does during the offseason and preseason 2017.

Tyson Alualu - This may be an unpopular position, but I would like to see the team keep the guy. He is not overly expensive, and does a respectable job.

Prince Amukamara - I would like to see the team try to extend the guy if the price is not too steep. He has been respectable also.

Kelvin Beachum - No brainer here. Pick up the option because the guy can play.

Arrelious Benn - Not sure of the contract status, but he is quality depth at WR.

Michael Bennett - Will have to have a strong showing to make the team next year.

Blake Bortles - He is still under rookie contract. One more offseason to see if he is the 2015 guy or 2016 guy.

Luke Bowanko - It will be interesting to see if he can earn a starting spot or at least reserve spot next year. The guy allegedly knows all OL positions.

A.J. Cann - Still under rookie contract. Has been ok, but needs to be better or else he won't be long for this team.

Aaron Colvin - I believe he is up for at least RFA. The team needs to lock him up for a while longer.

Johnathon Cyprien - Has improved this year, but needs to be challenged or replaced. If he's a FA, I would be inclined to let him walk unless he took a min. contract.

Sheldon Day - The jury is still out on the guy. He's a rookie. Let's see how he looks next year.

Alex Ellis - Makes far too many mistakes. If he doesn't improve drastically by next year, see ya.

Dante Fowler Jr - Essentially his rookie year. Did some boneheaded things, but has flashed at times also. A healthy offseason may be beneficial.

Tashaun Gipson - Haven't been overly impressed with his play. It's not terrible, but it's not what he's being paid to be. Possibly a surprise cut next preseason.

Corey Grant - Don't expect to see him here in 2017.

Rashad Greene - Needs to really step it up. Possible cut next preseason.

Chad Henne - I think it's all but a consensus that he's gone after this season.

Bronson Hill - Just a guy. See ya.

Jordan Hill - See above.

Davon House - Likely gone. He should be.

Allen Hurns - New contract. He may be asked to take a pay cut if his play doesn't return to 2015 standards.

Chris Ivory - Hasn't been healthy all season. I expect him to be here and much improved next season.

Myles Jack - The future at LB.

Malik Jackson - Plays really well, but not 90 million dollars well. Will be here for another year or two.

Luke Joeckel - I see him moving on.

Josh Johnson - Will have to earn his spot next season. He likely won't.

Abry Jones - Good DT. He should be around. Not sure of his contract status.

Ben Koyack - Developing well. Will be here next year and has the arrow pointing up.

Marqise Lee - Starting #1 WR next year most likely.

Marcedes Lewis - May retire. I would like to see him back.

Brandon Linder -  Best OL. May be due for a contract extension. Lock him up.

Sen'Derrick Marks - Has been unhappy with playing time. He makes the most of his time on the field. Will likely come down to what the new coaches think of him.

Roy Miller - Bad injury to come back from. He may be released.

Jason Myers - He'll be here next year. Improving by leaps and bounds this season.

Yannick Ngakoue - Can't wait to see what he does next season. Arrow pointed way up.

Brad Nortman - Has earned every penny of his contract so far. A couple blunders, but very few.

Jared Odrick - likely released.

Patrick Omameh - May be back as a backup.

Jeremy Parnell - I think the team will try to upgrade the RT. He may stick around as a backup, likely contingent upon a pay cut. Likely gone though.

Sean Porter - Just a guy. Bye bye.

Paul Posluszny - Most will not agree, but I think he stays and plays in 2017. I don't see him going anywhere.

Jeremiah Poutasi - Adios

Hayes Pullard - Adios

Jalen Ramsey - Best secondary player already.

Chris Reed - Likely gone.

Allen Robinson - Needs to get back to 2015 play if he wants his payday.

Denard Robinson - It's a coin flip. The right coach could possibly do good things with him.

James Sample - Never healthy. Probably gone.

Tyler Shatley - Good backup. Probably comes back.

Dan Skuta - Gonzo if he doesn't take a pay cut. That may not save him either.

Chris Smith - Don't think he'll be here next year.

Telvin Smith - He's due for his big payday, and has earned every penny.

Neal Sterling - Has handled the position change well. Will have to earn his spot next year though. No guarantee.

Julius Thomas - As good as gone. Has not lived up to expectations whatsoever.

Peyton Thompson - Coin flip.

Carson Tinker - Could be replaced by someone younger and cheaper. Hard to say.

Bryan Walters - Guy is a very dependable WR. I hope he is here next season.

Josh Wells - Will have to earn his spot.

Jarrod Wilson - Just a guy. See ya.

Shane Wynn - Adios

TJ Yeldon - I really don't know. Could go either way.

That's about it for the squad. So much can change depending upon coaching and management changes, but as of today, these are my guesses and feelings.

Agree with most of this. Gosh I feel for Lewis who's been through these new regimes that promise so much and offer so little. I hope he doesn't retire.

The 2015 player I'm most worried about is Yeldon, he needs to develop faster. He has flashes but he just doesn't seem fast to me, he's yet to break off a big run.

I go back and forth on Cyprien

House/Skuta/Parnell need to go.

We are using Thomas incorrectly, but I wouldn't be opposed to him leaving.
Quote:Agree with most of this. Gosh I feel for Lewis who's been through these new regimes that promise so much and offer so little. I hope he doesn't retire.

The 2015 player I'm most worried about is Yeldon, he needs to develop faster. He has flashes but he just doesn't seem fast to me, he's yet to break off a big run.

I feel the same way about Odrick. I don't think he has been healthy for most of the year. I think he can still play. I think he's gone, but it wouldn't break my heart if he stayed either.
Just remember if a player leaves, for whatever reason, they will have to be replaced somehow.
Quote:Agree with most of this. Gosh I feel for Lewis who's been through these new regimes that promise so much and offer so little. I hope he doesn't retire.

Agree'd with pretty much of everything in the original post as well.

Odrick has definitely been playing hurt this season and is a good keep on the roster, however money will determine that. We aren't hurting for cash, but we'll see how they determine his contract in the off season/next year.

As for Yeldon, hes never been a burner and wont ever be. He's at the very least, a very solid all around RB though. If we can get better run blocking, he'll look much better.

He isn't the type to reverse field and turn a no gain into a 70 yard TD, but he can definitely turn a no gain/less of yards into a 2-4 yard gain. Give him some better run blocking, with some more holes and he'll be a good RB in this league.
Quote:Agree'd with pretty much of everything in the original post as well.

Odrick has definitely been playing hurt this season and is a good keep on the roster, however money will determine that. We aren't hurting for cash, but we'll see how they determine his contract in the off season/next year.

As for Yeldon, hes never been a burner and wont ever be. He's at the very least, a very solid all around RB though. If we can get better run blocking, he'll look much better.

He isn't the type to reverse field and turn a no gain into a 70 yard TD, but he can definitely turn a no gain/less of yards into a 2-4 yard gain. Give him some better run blocking, with some more holes and he'll be a good RB in this league.
With a better O-line, he may do some good things. On the other hand, it is incumbent upon the player to make the most of what there is. Would MJD or Freddy look as pedestrian with this line?
I think Malik has been worth every penny. We just need an outside pass rusher who can take advantage of him blowing up the middle of the pocket.
Great post. I decided to try my own and split it into 4 categories.

1) Unknown: alot of these guys are bottom of the roster types or players we haven't seen much of.

Brandon Allen

Luke Bowanko

Sheldon Day

Bronson Hill

Josh Johnson

Sean Porter

Poutasi

James Sample

Peyton Thompson

Josh Wells

Jarrod Wilson

Shane Wynn

2) Core Players: These are guys we need to keep. The future of our team.

Myles Jack

Malik

Marqise Lee

Linder

Myers (I'm sold)

Yannick

Jalen Ramsey

Telvin

Hurns

3) Decent players: your run of the mill NFL player. Good starters, good depth players, guys we should keep but can be replaced eventually.

Prince

Beachum

Cann

Colvin

Ivory

Abry Jones

Koyack

Marks

Miller

Nortman

Omameh

Poz

A-Rob

Shoelace

Shatley

Neal Sterling

Tinker

Walters

Yeldon

4) Trash: self explanatory. Unfortunately, the bulk of our roster falls in this category. These are bad football players that keep us from winning games, draft busts, or overpriced underperformers. Get rid of these guys ASAP

Alualu

Benn

Michael Bennett

Biff Bortles

Cyprien

Alex Ellis

Fowler

Gipson

Corey Grant

Greene

Henne

House

Luke Joeck Strap

Marcedes

Odrick

Parnell

Pullard

Skuta

Chris Smith

Julius
I don't think oline is the problem.
Quote:With a better O-line, he may do some good things. On the other hand, it is incumbent upon the player to make the most of what there is. Would MJD or Freddy look as pedestrian with this line?
Well Freddy should be in the HoF and MJD was a machine. Both had break away speed, which Yeldon doesn't have. There was also a lot more focus on running the ball in those days.
Where does Allen Robinson fit in your equations?

Edit: belay my last. Need to learn to read.

Quote:Great post. I decided to try my own and split it into 4 categories.

1) Unknown: alot of these guys are bottom of the roster types or players we haven't seen much of.

Brandon Allen

Luke Bowanko

Sheldon Day

Bronson Hill

Josh Johnson

Sean Porter

Poutasi

James Sample

Peyton Thompson

Josh Wells

Jarrod Wilson

Shane Wynn

2) Core Players: These are guys we need to keep. The future of our team.

Myles Jack

Malik

Marqise Lee

Linder

Myers (I'm sold)

Yannick

Jalen Ramsey

Telvin

Hurns

3) Decent players: your run of the mill NFL player. Good starters, good depth players, guys we should keep but can be replaced eventually.

Prince

Beachum

Cann

Colvin

Ivory

Abry Jones

Koyack

Marks

Miller

Nortman

Omameh

Poz

A-Rob

Shoelace

Shatley

Neal Sterling

Tinker

Walters

Yeldon

4) Trash: self explanatory. Unfortunately, the bulk of our roster falls in this category. These are bad football players that keep us from winning games, draft busts, or overpriced underperformers. Get rid of these guys ASAP

Alualu

Benn

Michael Bennett

Biff Bortles

Cyprien

Alex Ellis

Fowler

Gipson

Corey Grant

Greene

Henne

House

Luke Joeck Strap

Marcedes

Odrick

Parnell

Pullard

Skuta

Chris Smith

Julius
I think the only ones I disagreed with were Jerrod Wilson, Chris Reed, and Shane Wynn.

Here are the guys that either due to contract/cap hit or good play are IMO guaranteed to be on this team next year in some capacity. Barring some weird trade scenario or a new GM cleaning house:

Bortles, Blake  Ivory, Chris  Yeldon, T.J.  Robinson, Allen  Hurns, Allen  Lee, Marqise  Linder, Brandon  Cann, A.J.  Ngakoue, Yannick  Fowler Jr., Dante  Jackson, Malik  Smith, Telvin  Jack, Myles  Ramsey, Jalen  Colvin, Aaron  Gipson, Tashaun 

This next group are FAs who I hope the Jaguars find a way to keep, and none of these guys deserve a monster contract, although I could buy them paying Amukamara as a starting NFL CB.

Alualu, Tyson Jones, Abry  Amukamara, Prince 

Next is the group of guys who IMO are guaranteed not to be on this roster next year (will be cut) either due to poor play or poor contract or both:

Henne, Chad  Thomas, Julius  Odrick, Jared  Marks, Sen'Derrick  Skuta, Dan  House, Davon 

Lastly and most importantly, these are the guys they REALLY need to evaluate these last few games and in the offseason. Some may need restructured contracts in order to stick around which will play a part in their decision making I'm sure.

Lewis, Marcedes  Beachum, Kelvin  Parnell, Jermey  Posluszny, Paul  Myers, Jason  Nortman, Brad

Miller, Roy

Cyprien, Johnathan