Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Man who built his home next to an airport is SHOCKED to discover air traffic over his home
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
DALLAS, Texas (CBS 11 NEWS) – Brian Wilk moved into his new house just down the street from Dallas Love Field last summer.  “I knew we were close to the airport, but I knew when we built, they had a voluntary noise program in effect.  As soon as we moved in, we quickly discovered those rules aren’t enforced or not well-enforced.”

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/01/15/resid...-of-noise/

If you actually read the article, the guy is making a pretty reasonable point.  

Except when he built his house the program was VOLUNTARY. Even he admitted it. Voluntary doesn't mean they have to or will do it at all. Maybe he should have spent some time out there at night before deciding to build his house next to an airport.
I know people who bought a home near the railroad tracks, and they went to CSX and complained about the train whistles at 3AM.   That seems like the same thing this guy is doing. 

Quote:I know people who bought a home near the railroad tracks, and they went to CSX and complained about the train whistles at 3AM.   That seems like the same thing this guy is doing.
That's why you don't buy houses near tracks or airports.
Quote:That's why you don't buy houses near tracks or airports.

^^This^^
He couldn't have just spent a day parked on his lot to see what it would be like before he threw a house on it?  

Quote:He couldn't have just spent a day parked on his lot to see what it would be like before he threw a house on it?  

Pretty simple solution. 
What's that over there?  Is that an airport? 
Here's what the article said: 

"During construction at the airport last spring, he and others complained planes big and small were using the runway near Lemmon Avenue on the airport’s east side and flying over their homes while they sleep.

This even though since 1981, the city has had a voluntary program asking pilots to use the west side runway closest to Denton Drive between 9:00 pm and 6:00 am.

Records show between October 1 and December 31 of last year, there were 889 take-offs and landings on the Lemmon Avenue runway between 9:00 pm and 6:00 am.

That’s more than a third of the 2,511 flights here at night during the time period.

1622 flights used the runway near Denton Drive at night.

On Wednesday, Wilk told the Dallas City Council the city could ask the FAA for permission to shut down the Lemmon Avenue runway during those hours."

That's the article.  The thread title has nothing to do with the actual facts of the case. 

Nowhere does it say he was shocked to discover air traffic over his house.   What it says is, at night, the he wants this airport to use the runway that doesn't send planes over people's houses.   It's worth a try.  Apparently since they had a voluntary program in the past, it is possible to use the other runway at night. 

I don't see anything wrong with what the guy is doing.   He'll probably lose, but he'd be crazy not to try. 
Dog bites man? No story.

Man bits dog? Story.