Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags scoring less under Hackett than Olson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
In 7 games this year under Olson, the Jags averaged 19.85 points per game.  We keep hearing about how much better things are under Hackett, yet under Hackett I show us scoring 16.83 points a game. 

That's because the original problem is still leading the team.

Gus isn't good enough but he's had bad coordinator choices his entire time here. Caldwell hasn't been good enough either but I have a hard time placing a lot of blame on him when the coaching staff is this bad.

Caldwell certainly deserves some of the blame however.
But less bonehead decisions.

Still some, but less.

Quote:In 7 games this year under Olson, the Jags averaged 19.85 points per game.  We keep hearing about how much better things are under Hackett, yet under Hackett I show us scoring 16.83 points a game. 

Probably because the Jaguars got the easier teams on the schedule out of the way early in the season. They've been facing the hard part the last few games.
If there is a clear scoring difference from one OC to the next and all else is equal, it is pretty obvious who to point your finger at.

But not all else is equal. TOP is different every week. So is the quality of our opponent. You also can't ignore the injury reports.

Quote:In 7 games this year under Olson, the Jags averaged 19.85 points per game.  We keep hearing about how much better things are under Hackett, yet under Hackett I show us scoring 16.83 points a game.

The OC was never really the problem, so this isn't a huge shock. Someone had to fall on their sword.
OC firing was a scapegoat tactic. 

To be fair, we have played the Broncos, Vikings, texans, Chiefs and tacks under Hackett. All pretty good defenses.
Quote:OC firing was a scapegoat tactic. 

Of course it was. Gus is the one that needs to go, and Dave might need to be going right with him.
Also the closer the game is the less we score.
well, we do find ourselves in Garbage time alot less under hacket, we're actually in the game ....losing but still in the game.

It doesn't mean a thing though, gus and his clowns will be gone soon.

Quote:well, we do find ourselves in Garbage time alot less under hacket, we're actually in the game ....losing but still in the game.

It doesn't mean a thing though, gus and his clowns will be gone soon.
The offense isn't keeping this team in the games. That's all on the defense. They're keeping things close and creating opportunities that the offense and special teams repeatedly squander.

I think most have come to the conclusion that nothing is going to get fixed until we finish the next 3 games. Then the real work of righting the ship quickly will begin. I think that for the first time under Bradley, the team is more talented than the record reflects. The right coach/staff can get things on track, and it won't require another full rebuild.
Quote:well, we do find ourselves in Garbage time a lot less under Hackett, we're actually in the game ....losing but still in the game.

It doesn't mean a thing though, Gus and his clowns will be gone soon.

It means more than one thing that we are losing by smaller point margins under Hackett. Less garbage time is always good.
Quote:The offense isn't keeping this team in the games. That's all on the defense. They're keeping things close and creating opportunities that the offense and special teams repeatedly squander.

I think most have come to the conclusion that nothing is going to get fixed until we finish the next 3 games. Then the real work of righting the ship quickly will begin. I think that for the first time under Bradley, the team is more talented than the record reflects. The right coach/staff can get things on track, and it won't require another full rebuild.

So why wasn't the defense keeping us in games earlier this season?
The OC firing was largely symbolic, but Hackett is still a better play caller IMO.

If you actually watch the games it's clear to see the Hackett is giving the offense a bit more chance to succeed, but Blake is squandering many of those opportunities. 

Doesn't matter.  There will be a new OC, HC, and probably competition at QB in May 2017. 

Quote:So why wasn't the defense keeping us in games earlier this season?

Gosh, I don't know. Maybe it took some time for some of the young talent and the new acquisitions to gel as a unit? It's not rocket science.
Quote:Gosh, I don't know. Maybe it took some time for some of the young talent and the new acquisitions to gel as a unit? It's not rocket science.

This 100%
I could care less what the stats say, this offense is clearly more effective under Hackett, they're actually sustaining drives. This offense has looked just fine under Hackett while matching up with 3 of the better defenses (KC, Den, Minn) in the league, with competent QB play this team is likely 3-0 in that stretch.

Quote:Gosh, I don't know. Maybe it took some time for some of the young talent and the new acquisitions to gel as a unit? It's not rocket science.

These offenses aren't as good as the early season ones. IT's garbage time for the defense too.

My point is the defense has nothing to do with Hackett helping the offense not play in garbage time. You have no argument against Hackett.
Pages: 1 2 3