Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Fulham close to relegation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://espnfc.com/tables/_/league/eng.1/...ue?cc=5901

Our boy Shad is having a rough time with his teams.

for those of us clueless about soccer what is relegation? I've tried to keep a casual eye on the Fulham team but I'm just ignorant about everything in soccer.

Quote:for those of us clueless about soccer what is relegation? I've tried to keep a casual eye on the Fulham team but I'm just ignorant about everything in soccer.
It means the 3 teams that finish at the bottom of the Premier League go back to the lower league (Championship? League) and the top 3 teams in that league move up to the Premier League.  
Quote:It means the 3 teams that finish at the bottom of the Premier League go back to the lower league (Championship? League) and the top 3 teams in that league move up to the Premier League.  

Ok so the goal is to graduate to the top league, are they the only ones that play for the championships? world cup I think it is?

I knew there was different leagues, didn't know they moved in and out of those leagues.
Quote:http://espnfc.com/tables/_/league/eng.1/...ue?cc=5901

Our boy Shad is having a rough time with his teams.

Relax, he inherited their problems so none of this is on him. 

(Am I doing this right?)
Fulham has actually improved its position over the last 4-6 weeks by moving out of the relegation zone and into the top 17 albeit by only a single point.

Pray that West Ham U, Sunderland and Cardiff City continue to lose. We want Shad happy.

We need an update from one of our UK fans- how many matches are left and against who, etc

Fulham falls apart in the second half.
Quote:Ok so the goal is to graduate to the top league, are they the only ones that play for the championships? world cup I think it is?

I knew there was different leagues, didn't know they moved in and out of those leagues.

world cup is for countries.

Yea think of it like major league baseball, AAA, AA, etc... except the teams in the minors arent feeder teams.  The goal for teams is to get promoted from the lesser leagues up to the Premier.  And once you are there, you try not to get relegated back down.  

The top teams in the Premier League play in competitions called Champions League and a second tier one called uefa cup.  Imagine if Mexico and Canada and other countries had their own NFL which was somewhat comparable to ours.  We'd send our champion to play theirs.  
Also, teams that are relegated lose sponsorship money and a host of other resources.  Being relegated can spell eventual doom for a team if they don't climb back out soon.

One of our UK members once said that once a team is relegated, it is extremely difficult to get (what would the proper word be in UK speak?) "elevated" back into the Premier League. Relegation is a big (and bad) deal.

Quote:One of our UK members once said that once a team is relegated, it is extremely difficult to get (what would the proper word be in UK speak?) "elevated" back into the Premier League. Relegation is a big (and bad) deal.
It's hard but not extremely difficult. The hurt is more in the long term, relegation would mean losing out on a large part of the EPL revenues. That in turn means having to cut down on the payroll by selling off your most expensive (and usually best) players. So not only are you making less money you're also dealing with a weakened team. If you then make it back to the top flight you still don't have the funds to get back the same level of talent you sold off when you were relegated.

In a way it's like getting stuck in salary cap hell.
Quote:Relax, he inherited their problems so none of this is on him. 

(Am I doing this right?)

It's totally different to NFL. There is no parity/draft, it is hard to attract top players to Fulham unless he throws crazy money at them.
Quote:It's totally different to NFL. There is no parity/draft, it is hard to attract top players to Fulham unless he throws crazy money at them.

Please don't feed the troll.
Quote:It means the 3 teams that finish at the bottom of the Premier League go back to the lower league (Championship? League) and the top 3 teams in that league move up to the Premier League.  
The three teams at the bottom go to the lower league as above, this is called the Championship.  The teams who finished first and second in the Championship are promoted to the Premier League.  There is then a play off tournament between the teams that finished between third and sixth.  The winner of the play off tournament is also promoted.

Quote:Ok so the goal is to graduate to the top league, are they the only ones that play for the championships? world cup I think it is?

Each league has a winner and they move up the leagues, for example there are a couple of teams currently in the Premier League at the moment were very recently in League 2 (this is the fourth best league in English Football) and have been promoted over the last few years into the Premier League.  The ultimate goal is to finish as high in the Premier League as possible as then they can start playing in various European tournaments.  In reality, winning the Premier League is very rare - only 5 teams in 20 years and Manchester United have been the most successful team in the league.

Quote:Also, teams that are relegated lose sponsorship money and a host of other resources.  Being relegated can spell eventual doom for a team if they don't climb back out soon.
They are likely to have to off-load some expensive players, however, the teams receive "parachute payments" for a couple of years following relegation.  This is designed to minimise the financial impact of relegation and quite often they would invest this into helping them achieve immediate promotion.  It does pay off however can prove to be risky and Portsmouth who were recently in the Premier League are now in League 2 due to financial issues.

Quote: 
gclarke- how many matches are left? Is it likely that Fulham can hold onto the 1 point lead they have over the other 3 teams or do they have tough matches ahead of them?

Quote:gclarke- how many matches are left? Is it likely that Fulham can hold onto the 1 point lead they have over the other 3 teams or do they have tough matches ahead of them?
There are 16 matches left.  The Premier League is a 38 game season so they are just over half way through.  I'm not a Fulham fan personally, but I think that they can easily turn it around and certainly should be able to increase the gap between them and the other teams.  Looking at the fixture list, half the games are against teams like Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and the other half are against teams around the same position as Fulham.  There are five points between them and mid table, so two wins and that changes the situation Smile
Cool, thanks. One last question- about when does the season end? May or June or so?

Normally mid May

I said one last question but there's another- is there then a playoff system or is it just over and the winner is the winner? If there is playoffs, can you explain how it works- #teams in it , etc.?

Quote:I said one last question but there's another- is there then a playoff system or is it just over and the winner is the winner? If there is playoffs, can you explain how it works- #teams in it , etc.?

Win= 3 points.

Draw= 1 point.

Loss= 0 points.

Team with the most points the end of the season is champion. So it is possible to be champion with 2 games left to play because your lead is 7 points or more.
Pages: 1 2