Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Does chicken soup really help for a cold?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
....Because I have a doozy. head congestion, aches....all the un-fun stuff.

Yes...all the antibiotics they inject into the chicken get passed on to you! :thumbsup:
No, not really. You want fluids but other than that.. It's not going to cure anything.
Quote:Yes...all the antibiotics they inject into the chicken get passed on to you! :thumbsup:

ha, sad but probably true...

Quote:No, not really. You want fluids but other than that.. It's not going to cure anything.

Really?....I figured it was something that the broth helped clean out so to speak.....kinda like how they say vinegar has that by product...
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-condi...t-20046403

• Chicken soup. Chicken soup might help relieve cold and flu symptoms in two ways. First, it acts as an anti-inflammatory by inhibiting the movement of neutrophils — immune system cells that participate in the body's inflammatory response. Second, it temporarily speeds up the movement of mucus, possibly helping relieve congestion and limiting the amount of time viruses are in contact with the nose lining.
They don't call it Jewish penicillin for nothing...
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/in-depth/cold-remedies/art-20046403'>http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/in-depth/cold-remedies/art-20046403</a>

• Chicken soup. Chicken soup might help relieve cold and flu symptoms in two ways. First, it acts as an anti-inflammatory by inhibiting the movement of neutrophils — immune system cells that participate in the body's inflammatory response. Second, it temporarily speeds up the movement of mucus, possibly helping relieve congestion and limiting the amount of time viruses are in contact with the nose lining.
It may relieve symptoms but it's not going to help get rid of it. Same thing with OTC medicine. All they do is relieve symptoms. Only thing that would help it go away would be antibiotics. That and rest. Anything else just hides the symptoms.
Quote:It may relieve symptoms but it's not going to help get rid of it. Same thing with OTC medicine. All they do is relieve symptoms. Only thing that would help it go away would be antibiotics. That and rest. Anything else just hides the symptoms.

Antibiotics will do nothing for a virus based cold.
Quote:It may relieve symptoms but it's not going to help get rid of it. Same thing with OTC medicine. All they do is relieve symptoms. Only thing that would help it go away would be antibiotics. That and rest. Anything else just hides the symptoms.

Right but as for me, I don't like to use anti-biotics unless its an absolute last, last, last resort, like almost on my death bed, last resort. 

When you overuse anti biotics, your body starts to build a resistance against them and they become less effective.
Quote:Antibiotics will do nothing for a virus based cold.

Correct. Just bacteria.
Quote:Right but as for me, I don't like to use anti-biotics unless its an absolute last, last, last resort, like almost on my death bed, last resort.

When you overuse anti biotics, your body starts to build a resistance against them and they become less effective.
I'd just ride it out then, get sleep and fluids. Other than that, not much else to do then. There no miracle food that will "cure" it.
I'm such a hypochondriac sometimes...lol.....My ears are also clogged up and what I am guessing are glands under the ear are swollen....I felt a little bit of a lump there yesterday and I was paranoid that it was a tumor building or something... :woot: 

"Lupus??.... Is IT LUPUS??!!!!!!"  Laughing 

If your glands are swollen, you're infected some way or another.

Fluids, rest, and some light exercise -- very light, you just want your metabolism to be up -- are what has worked for me in the past.

Thanks for the advice....

I gotta say though, I do feel a bit better after the big bowl of chicken soup I just ate about 40 minutes ago. :yes: Hope its not just the power of suggestion..

Quote:I'm such a hypochondriac sometimes...lol.....My ears are also clogged up and what I am guessing are glands under the ear are swollen....I felt a little bit of a lump there yesterday and I was paranoid that it was a tumor building or something... :woot:

"Lupus??.... Is IT LUPUS??!!!!!!"   Laughing

http://youtu.be/_-E6aQIfN6g
Quote:Thanks for the advice....

I gotta say though, I do feel a bit better after the big bowl of chicken soup I just ate about 40 minutes ago. :yes: Hope its not just the power of suggestion..

As long as it works...who cares what the reason!
Quote:I'm such a hypochondriac sometimes...lol.....My ears are also clogged up and what I am guessing are glands under the ear are swollen....I felt a little bit of a lump there yesterday and I was paranoid that it was a tumor building or something... :woot:

"Lupus??.... Is IT LUPUS??!!!!!!" Laughing
Oh wow. All the symptoms you're describing I had a few weeks ago. Cough, head congestion, body aches, sore throat. I lost my voice for about a week and my ear was plugged for a week+. I finally sucked it up and went to the doctor. They gave me antibiotics.

Rest and plenty of water and lemon and honey tea helped ease the symptoms somewhat.
Start with a cup of hot tea, squeeze into that the juice of half a lemon, stir in a teaspoon of honey and a shot of whiskey, then enjoy. I don't think it has any medicinal benefits, but after a couple of those, I sleep like a baby.

Quote:Start with a cup of hot tea, squeeze into that the juice of half a lemon, stir in a teaspoon of honey and a shot of whiskey, then enjoy. I don't think it has any medicinal benefits, but after a couple of those, I sleep like a baby.

I don't need much prodding to try something with whiskey Wink 

Thanks!

"Lupus??.... Is IT LUPUS??!!!!!!" Laughing

It's not a toomah!
Pages: 1 2