Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Thoughts on MAA Pop Warner?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My son is at the age where he's old and interested enough in tackle football.

Anyone have experience with MAA?

Suggestions, advice, etc?

With his age and weight, looks like he'll probably be placed in Pee Wee division.

Quote:My son is at the age where he's old and interested enough in tackle football.

Anyone have experience with MAA?

Suggestions, advice, etc?

With his age and weight, looks like he'll probably be placed in Pee Wee division.
My son started his playing career there at 7 years old. I also helped to coach his teams. Overall, it was not to bad. We ended up having to leave though because of some misdeeds at the top. Long story short, the powers that be were doing quite a bit of shady things, and lost the park, literally. It is now being run by Oakleaf, but from what I understand, they are kind of free to do their own thing for the most part. They switched to Pop Warner after my son's third season, and he is waaaay to big for that so we had to go elsewhere. 

username123

I don't know very much about the league, but I would think that it would be a good start for him not only to learn the game, but also to get out and get some exercise, be competitive, learn about sportsmanship and give him a "head start" for when he reaches high school.

I had two kids play there, I also coached. 

If you can stay out of the politics, it's a fun place to play.

Hope the field is ready by August. It needed replaced anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if someone put the kids up to it.

https://www.gofundme.com/maa-vandalism-repair-fund

Quote:I had two kids play there, I also coached. 

If you can stay out of the politics, it's a fun place to play.

Hope the field is ready by August. It needed replaced anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if someone put the kids up to it.

https://www.gofundme.com/maa-vandalism-repair-fund
What happened to the field?
Quote:What happened to the field?
Kids doing donuts a few weeks back...
Quote:Kids doing donuts a few weeks back...
Thats ridiculous. Last I was there was for the 2015 season. Even at our end of the year party it was in good shape. The front game field was always in good shape, the back one was not terrible either for a public park. Sorry to hear that. 
Quote:Thats ridiculous. Last I was there was for the 2015 season. Even at our end of the year party it was in good shape. The front game field was always in good shape, the back one was not terrible either for a public park. Sorry to hear that. 
Pretty sure that was my last season there too...may have been 14...

Either way, they were letting Duval Charter play home games on the main field on Fridays and the field was pretty torn up. The back field wasn't bad either. Just be careful if you draw a baseball field for practice. They tend to have lots of ants if it rains.