Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Texans add Vrabel as LB coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
per rotoworld: 

Texans hired Mike Vrabel as linebackers coach.

We don't typically post position-coach hires, but this one piqued our interest with Vrabel being a recent former player. Vrabel played linebacker for the Patriots when new Texans coach Bill O'Brien was on the staff in New England. Vrabel recently coached LBs at his alma mater, Ohio State.

Oh no, we are doomed for the next decade. Who cares, Vrable, ppffffttt.

Oh no. We are so screwed for decades to come. How do we compete with this?

Quote:Oh no, we are doomed for the next decade. Who cares, Vrable, ppffffttt.

[Image: Doomed.jpg]
We need to counteract this move. Someone call up Mike Petterson and see if he's interested in a coaching career.
Quote:We need to counteract this move. Someone call up Mike Petterson and see if he's interested in a coaching career.

Vrabel actually has previous LB coach experience. 
Quote:Vrabel actually has previous LB coach experience. 

So, is it panic time or is this a precursor to a shot at our coaching staff for not having the ability to recruit college position coaches to come to the next level?
I'd label it another solid addition to an assistant coaching staff that head coach O Brien declared would be top notch and he's backing those words up. 

LOL!  Vrabel has not coached a down in the NFL but he is already a solid addition since he is on another team.  Had the Jags hired him we would hear about how he is unproven.   Same old song and dance.   :teehee:

Quote:LOL!  Vrabel has not coached a down in the NFL but he is already a solid addition since he is on another team.  Had the Jags hired him we would hear about how he is unproven.   Same old song and dance.   :teehee:

You really have no clue what you are talking about. 

I look at Vrabel the same way I'd look at Darius if he ever became an assistant coach. Both were solid players and smart minds out there. I'd love to have Darius coach the secondary and I wouldn't even care if he had any experience (which Vrabel has, btw). Vrabel was a leader on teams that won superbowls and had lots of success. Darius never won anything, but I know through hearing him breakdown Peyton Manning/ Colts  tendencies in the past, that he's no dummy. 
Quote:You really have no clue what you are talking about. 

I look at Vrabel the same way I'd look at Darius if he ever became an assistant coach. Both were solid players and smart minds out there. I'd love to have Darius coach the secondary and I wouldn't even care if he had any experience (which Vrabel has, btw). Vrabel was a leader on teams that won superbowls and had lots of success. Darius never won anything, but I know through hearing him breakdown Peyton Manning/ Colts  tendencies in the past, that he's no dummy. 

Great players don't automatically make great coaches.

Sean Foley can teach the golf swing better than Tiger Woods.

I don't know anything about Vrabel and coaching. But, he was one of my favorite football players to watch (NE and OSU). He was ok at Chiefs, but definitely past his prime
You really do seem to praise our divisional hires, while attacking the hires that we make.

We don't even know if Bill O'Brien will be a good head coach or not.  He's never done the job except at the college level.  And those who succeed at the college level -- even the best of them -- can fail as an NFL head coach.  Often they do.  

Quote:You really do seem to praise our divisional hires, while attacking the hires that we make.

We don't even know if Bill O'Brien will be a good head coach or not.  He's never done the job except at the college level.  And those who succeed at the college level -- even the best of them -- can fail as an NFL head coach.  Often they do.  

Really now?....

I'll wait while you try and dig up a praise post by me regarding Pagano or his staff. 

I also thought the Munchak hire (as a head coach) for the Titans was nothing special. 

Now I did like the Arians hire for the Colts, I'll admit, but for the most part I didn't praise much of the Pagano hire or the assistant staff there. 

Face it, O Brien is a coach that was on my short wish list of Jags HC hopefuls over the past several years when the Jags job was open, and now the Texans made a great choice and hired him. He's putting together a great staff and that could have been us. 

Quote:Really now?....

I'll wait while you try and dig up a praise post by me regarding Pagano or his staff. 

I also thought the Munchak hire (as a head coach) for the Titans was nothing special. 

Now I did like the Arians hire for the Colts, I'll admit, but for the most part I didn't praise much of the Pagano hire or the assistant staff there. 

Face it, O Brien is a coach that was on my short wish list of Jags HC hopefuls over the past several years when the Jags job was open, and now the Texans made a great choice and hired him. He's putting together a great staff and that could have been us. 

1. I said 'seems'

2. The old board is gone, so if it was there, it's gone now.

O'Brien was on your short list.  Big deal.  Know who else wanted O'Brien at one point?  Gene Smith.  We all know how good he is at picking coaches.  
Quote:I'd label it another solid addition to an assistant coaching staff that head coach O Brien declared would be top notch and he's backing those words up. 
Of course you would.  

Note to self: buy stock in Depends adult diapers because TMD is going to triple their sales with all his soiling.
roycee take:

I don't care.

As long as the Jags get better that's all that matters.

Jags assistant coaches: Hammered for not having Pro experience.

Texans assistant coaches: Praised despite not having Pro experience.
Quote:Jags assistant coaches: Hammered for not having Pro experience.

Texans assistant coaches: Praised despite not having Pro experience.

1 assistant coach, the rest so far have it. 

So, why the need to lie above?
Quote:Vrabel actually has previous LB coach experience.

So does Mike Peterson.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/former-gator-mike-peterson-returns-to-florida-as-a-coach----and-a-student/2136285'>http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/former-gator-mike-peterson-returns-to-florida-as-a-coach----and-a-student/2136285</a>
Pages: 1 2 3