Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Wow, now the Texans might be getting Munchak as a mere position coach...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
per rotoworld: 

The Houston Chronicle reports ex-Titans coach Mike Munchak will interview to be the Texans' offensive line coach on Friday.

Munchak interviewed for the Lions' head-coaching vacancy on Wednesday, but is setting his sights lower. Munchak is regarded as one of the league's very best line coaches, but doesn't have the chops to be an offensive coordinator. That means barring a head-coaching job, he'll be banished back to the ranks of position coach. Unless he has philosophical differences with Texans coach Bill O'Brien, it's hard to believe Munchak couldn't have the offensive line job if he wanted it.

TMD take: 

Wow, a coaching staff already off to a good start would add another gem. 

Say what you want about Munchak as a head coach, but as a mere OL position coach, this would be an excellent get. 

yawn, don't care what the Texans do.

I want us to get better. 

Quote:yawn, don't care what the Texans do.

I want us to get better. 

Well, whether you care or not, the magnitude that the Texans do get better has an impact on just how successful of a record that the Jaguars will get, being that they are in the same division. 

Same with the Colts and same with the Titans. 

You should want all 3 division teams to be as bad as possible and make as many bad decisions as possible. Thus making the Jags path to success that much easier. 
Quote:Well, whether you care or not, the magnitude that the Texans do get better has an impact on just how successful of a record that the Jaguars will get, being that they are in the same division. 

You should want all 3 division teams to be as bad as possible and make as many bad decisions as possible. Thus making the Jags path to success that much easier. 

So when we win the division, it can be said that we won a weak division with nobody in it?

Making the path to the playoffs 'easy' creates problems of complacency.  Imagine if the Bengals were in a tough division.  They'd likely be looking to move on from Andy Dalton right now.  As well as Marvin Lewis.
Quote:Well, whether you care or not, the magnitude that the Texans do get better has an impact on just how successful of a record that the Jaguars will get, being that they are in the same division. 

We had Mike Tice, a former NFL coach, as a position coach for a while.  It didn't improve us significantly at all.  Point being - chill out.
Quote:So when we win the division, it can be said that we won a weak division with nobody in it?

Making the path to the playoffs 'easy' creates problems of complacency.  Imagine if the Bengals were in a tough division.  They'd likely be looking to move on from Andy Dalton right now.  As well as Marvin Lewis.

No, so when we get the extra wins from an easy division, we benefit by getting a better playoff seed and likely a bye, just like the Patriots this past year. 

The Bengals were in a tougher division than the Patriots, IMO. 

Quote:We had Mike Tice, a former NFL coach, as a position coach for a while.  It didn't improve us significantly at all.  Point being - chill out.

Whoa....DIS-agree, 

Mike Tice may not have been a good HEAD coach, and I certainly wouldn't want him for OC, but as a mere OL or TE position coach, he actually was and is good. He improved those areas of our team as position coach. 
Quote:Whoa....DIS-agree, 

Mike Tice may not have been a good HEAD coach, and I certainly wouldn't want him for OC, but as a mere OL or TE position coach, he actually was and is good. He improved those areas of our team as position coach. 

Agree to disagree.  If he was such a good position coach, why is Marcedes Lewis such a lackluster performer, despite being physically very gifted?  Marcedes was a 1st round pick in 2006 and had Tice as a position coach until 2009... so what happened?  If he is such a good coach, why couldn't he make Lewis a consistent pro bowler?

In fact, only AFTER Tice left did Marcedes have his best year in 2010 and he made a pro bowl.  lol... 

And since the days of Boselli and Searcy, our offensive line has kind of been average at best.  

Translation: Jags=Bad, Every other team=Awesome.

/thread

TMD don't get yourself banned...I can see it brewing...
Quote:Agree to disagree.  If he was such a good position coach, why is Marcedes Lewis such a lackluster performer, despite being physically very gifted?  Marcedes was a 1st round pick in 2006 and had Tice as a position coach until 2009... so what happened?  If he is such a good coach, why couldn't he make Lewis a consistent pro bowler?

In fact, only AFTER Tice left did Marcedes have his best year in 2010 and he made a pro bowl.  lol... 

And since the days of Boselli and Searcy, our offensive line has kind of been average at best.  

The Jags OL which I also think Tice oversaw, as I am pretty sure he had OL coach in his background previously, took a noticeable improvement upon Tice's arrival in Jax and it declined when he left.

Quote:The Jags OL which I also think Tice oversaw, as I am pretty sure he had OL coach in his background previously, took a noticeable improvement upon Tice's arrival in Jax and it declined when he left.

Our O-line played well when Chris Naoele and Manuwai played well, and when Barnes and Williams were halfway decent tackles.  Meester was also in his prime at that time.  The decline of the line had everything to do with Naoele and Manuwai getting old and ineffective.  Tice had nothing to do with it.  And don't kid yourself, we had a good run blocking offensive line, but they were never good at pass protection.  It's one of the reasons David Garrard was the more successful QB and not Leftwich.

Just admit it.  You overreacted again.  The Texans signing Munchak doesn't mean squat, just like us signing Tice didn't mean squat either.  

The GM is 1000x more important than the actual position coaches.  Just get some guys that can freakin play.  Most NFL coaches can do a good enough job.
Wasn't Andy Reid one of your favorites?  And didn't he make some questionable choices last year?  And didn't the Chiefs turn out just fine?

Seems to me positional coaches aren't that important.  As long as they don't belong at Foot Locker, they should do fine.

Quote: 

per rotoworld: 

<div>The Houston Chronicle reports ex-Titans coach Mike Munchak will interview to be the Texans' offensive line coach on Friday.

Munchak interviewed for the Lions' head-coaching vacancy on Wednesday, but is setting his sights lower. Munchak is regarded as one of the league's very best line coaches, but doesn't have the chops to be an offensive coordinator. That means barring a head-coaching job, he'll be banished back to the ranks of position coach. Unless he has philosophical differences with Texans coach Bill O'Brien, it's hard to believe Munchak couldn't have the offensive line job if he wanted it.

TMD take: 

Wow, a coaching staff already off to a good start would add another gem. 

Say what you want about Munchak as a head coach, but as a mere OL position coach, this would be an excellent get. 

</div>

What is your take on Mike Munchak in terms of the job he did with Tennessee as their Head Coach?
I vaguely remember when Del Rio had a few high profile head coaches/ex head coaches. It turned into a disaster as people like Tice were undermining the offensive coordinator.

Or am I remembering this wrong?.

That's bad for the Titans more than anything.. 

Munchak is a good position coach. 

Quote: What is your take on Mike Munchak in terms of the job he did with Tennessee as their Head Coach?

I wasn't all that impressed with the job Munchak did as head coach with Tennessee. But he's not going to be head coach at Houston. You compare how good Munchak was as OL coach of Tennessee when he held that position only, since thats the position he will have in Houston. And if you remember, Munchak was an outstanding OL coach for the Titans, developing both Michael Roos and that other PB level Tackle back in the mid 2000's and generally overseeing one of the perennial top OL's in the game over the decade, more or less. 

Quote:I wasn't all that impressed with the job Munchak did as head coach with Tennessee. But he's not going to be head coach at Houston. You compare how good Munchak was as OL coach of Tennessee when he held that position only, since thats the position he will have in Houston. And if you remember, Munchak was an outstanding OL coach for the Titans, developing both Michael Roos and that other PB level Tackle back in the mid 2000's and generally overseeing one of the perennial top OL's in the game over the decade, more or less. 

I agree with you that Mike Munchak did a very good job as Tennessee O-Line Coach and likely would do the same for any team he ends up with in that role,  providing the Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator are in sync with Munchak.

When a Head Coach gets fired,  a question that immediately comes to mind,  at least for me,  is what could have the HC done better during his HC stint with the team?   In the case of Mike Munchak,  he was fired because he refused to get rid of 4 assistant coaches he believed did a good job.   When looking at Tennessee's talent,  which lacks enough differential players, and their problematic QB situation,  I'm not sure what he could have done to get better results.     Having said that,  I'm far from certain Munchak would be a highly successful HC if given another opportunity.    While I strongly believe giving Gary Kubiak another HC opportunity in the NFL would be a mistake,  with Munchak I don't have a strong opinion either way.    It wouldn't surprise me if Munchak turns out to be the type of HC that finishes between 10-6 and 6-10 in his vast majority of seasons.  
Quote:I agree with you that Mike Munchak did a very good job as Tennessee O-Line Coach and likely would do the same for any team he ends up with in that role,  providing the Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator are in sync with Munchak.

When a Head Coach gets fired,  a question that immediately comes to mind,  at least for me,  is what could have the HC done better during his HC stint with the team?   In the case of Mike Munchak,  he was fired because he refused to get rid of 4 assistant coaches he believed did a good job.   When looking at Tennessee's talent,  which lacks enough differential players, and their problematic QB situation,  I'm not sure what he could have done to get better results.     Having said that,  I'm far from certain Munchak would be a highly successful HC if given another opportunity.    While I strongly believe giving Gary Kubiak another HC opportunity in the NFL would be a mistake,  with Munchak I don't have a strong opinion either way.    It wouldn't surprise me if Munchak turns out to be the type of HC that finishes between 10-6 and 6-10 in his vast majority of seasons.  

I agree about your outlooks on both Kubiak and Munchak as HC's. 

I'd hire Kubiak in a second as OC or QB coach, though. 
Pages: 1 2 3