Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Anyone recommend a tree removal vendor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got some trees to remove (tall palms.)

Need recommendations.

Some of the estimates I've gotten aren't close, and it's been a while since I received them.

I'm hoping we're far enough out of the way of the hurricane that rates won't still be inflated, and close enough to the holidays for someone wanting extra holiday cash.

Only interested in folks who are bonded and insured, but size of company doesn't matter - only that it's not a handyman, etc. that isn't insured/bonded.

Anyone you've worked with you trust for a honest, fair price?

TIA

I recommend buying a chainsaw and doing it yourself. I live in Ohio and my aunt and uncle needed 6 large rotting trees cut down in their yard. They hired a guy my uncle knew. All the guy did was cut down the trees. He didn't even haul the lumber away. He left 5 foot tall stumps as well. For this, he charged them a jaw dropping $6000. Since my uncle didn't ask for an estimate before hand (he thought he could trust the guy), there was nothing he could do. They are not rich people at all. They had been saving for years to go to Alaska for their 50th anniversary. It wiped out their savings for that completely.

pirkster,  one recommendation that comes to mind that I often do in a similar type of situation is go to the BBB website.   Then look for BBB accredited tree care businesses in your area.   You can put in your zip code and mileage range in the search process.    The companies that have the high BBB accredited grades have the type of track record that provide much more peace of mind,  though of course there's always some risk when hiring a company to do work.

Check the angry beaver thread.
Quote:Check the angry beaver thread.

Whole lotta stump grindin going on.
I've use Big Ben's who I thought would be outrageous since they are so big.  But they were fairly reasonable.

I also just used another guy that I thought was pretty fair.  I've you're interested in that guy shoot me a PM and I'll dig up his business card when I get home.

Quote:I've got some trees to remove (tall palms.)

Need recommendations.

Some of the estimates I've gotten aren't close, and it's been a while since I received them.

I'm hoping we're far enough out of the way of the hurricane that rates won't still be inflated, and close enough to the holidays for someone wanting extra holiday cash.

Only interested in folks who are bonded and insured, but size of company doesn't matter - only that it's not a handyman, etc. that isn't insured/bonded.

Anyone you've worked with you trust for a honest, fair price?

TIA

I know a guy out on bond that will "insure" that the job will get done.  I can't say how smart it would be to give him a chainsaw though...
Robert's Tree Service has always given me the best price on all 3 times I had to use them and I got 4 or 5 different estimates each time just to get an idea of how much it should cost. Of course I am a repeat customer now though.

I had estimates differing by over $1400 on getting the exact same service from each tree service.

Something like getting trees cut down by a service can be very subjective in price.

Make sure you get several estimates before getting it done, you will probably be surprised by the price differences between the companies.

Also, what you can do to get an even better price is let them know what your best bid is and see if any of the others that already gave you an estimate can beat it.
Quote:I recommend buying a chainsaw and doing it yourself. I live in Ohio and my aunt and uncle needed 6 large rotting trees cut down in their yard. They hired a guy my uncle knew. All the guy did was cut down the trees. He didn't even haul the lumber away. He left 5 foot tall stumps as well. For this, he charged them a jaw dropping $6000. Since my uncle didn't ask for an estimate before hand (he thought he could trust the guy), there was nothing he could do. They are not rich people at all. They had been saving for years to go to Alaska for their 50th anniversary. It wiped out their savings for that completely.

I would recommend NEVER getting any work like this done without an estimate, and by that I mean NEVER. It doesn't matter if you know the guy, think you can trust the guy or the guy comes highly recommended, GET AN ESTIMATE before any work is done and save yourself any headaches caused by not getting one.

I have to believe they could have gotten a better price then $6000 on that job.
Why you trying to kill trees, tree killer?
My brother in law is a licensed tree Pro.  Only problem is we live in Port Orange so the job would have to be a pretty good size to justify coming up that way.

I recommend a canister of black powder, some schedule 40, some glue and a wick.
Quote:Why you trying to kill trees, tree killer?

Two recently died and will come down regardless.

I wasn't the owner that put them there, and would prefer shade trees.

Palms are mostly useless unless you want to make a nice postcard.
I've used Bushor's Tree Service and they are good. But they don't work in some parts of the county. Don't know where you live. In Orange Park I've used Tree Tech (Mike Rowe) several times at home. They do good work and clean up thoroughly afterwards. I've also used Shaw's Tree service. They have good prices and are usually more available than the others. All of them are bonded and insured and been in business for years.

Regards................the Chiefjag

Appreciate the feedback everyone.

Whatever tree killer
Quote:Whatever tree killer

That's me.

[Image: tWvgfn.gif]
Quote:Robert's Tree Service has always given me the best price on all 3 times I had to use them and I got 4 or 5 different estimates each time just to get an idea of how much it should cost. Of course I am a repeat customer now though.

I had estimates differing by over $1400 on getting the exact same service from each tree service.

Something like getting trees cut down by a service can be very subjective in price.

Make sure you get several estimates before getting it done, you will probably be surprised by the price differences between the companies.

Also, what you can do to get an even better price is let them know what your best bid is and see if any of the others that already gave you an estimate can beat it.
Ha - was just about to rec. them too.

We used Roberts years ago and they were significantly cheaper than other estimates and did a GREAT job. 
I'm pretty sure it was Robert's Tree Service I was going to use to remove some stumps from my yard.  His quote was far and away better than the others and he was a really nice guy.

Unfortunately we weren't able to get it set up and the stumps were so old they we were able to just hack away at them and tear them apart.

I think I still have his number if you want to give me a call.

The next hurricane should do the trick. Tongue