Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Isaac Asimov Predicts in 1964 What the World Will Look Like Today — in 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Isaac Asimov Predicts in 1964 What the World Will Look Like Today — in 2014

When New York City hosted The World’s Fair in 1964, Isaac Asimov, the prolific sci-fi author and professor of biochemistry at Boston University, took the opportunity to wonder what the world would look like 50 years hence — assuming the world survived the nuclear threats of the Cold War. Writing in The New York Times, Asimov imagined a world that you might partly recognize today, a world where:

http://www.openculture.com/2014/01/isaac...-2014.html

He got pretty close on a lot of things!!!
I saw one early that Paul Harvey said on radio. It was from 1965, and he was spot on. I'd post it, but it's of a religious nature so I will abstain, but it hit the nail on the head. Probably can get to it on youtube if you search Paul Harvey, 1965. I miss old Paul Harvey.

Quote:I saw one early that Paul Harvey said on radio. It was from 1965, and he was spot on. I'd post it, but it's of a religious nature so I will abstain, but it hit the nail on the head. Probably can get to it on youtube if you search Paul Harvey, 1965. I miss old Paul Harvey.

Is that called "If I were the Devil"?

He was spot on with that one. 

Paul Harvey was the man. Very smart. 

Everything I complain about regarding todays society, he called would happen in that take, 50 years ago. 

Most impressive is his call on Robots, they'll exist but won't be very good. You'd think projecting that far ahead they'd assume we'd have robots figured out. As for the flying car that's been the "future" talk for what seems like forever.
What do you guys think the world will look like 50 years from now? interesting Idea........here's my 10 thoughts, In the year 2064:

1. World wide currency - not sure if it'll be the ONLY currency but I think you'll have a universal or global form of currency that is used in international trade. Just don't see the rest of the world as they catch up to the United States remaining satisfied with the dollar to much longer, definitely not 50 years from now.

2. Fully Automated highway travel - The technologies already here, and while I'll be the old man refusing to ride in of those "robot" cars it's inevitable. I imagine highways or major roads will require your vehicle to be on auto mode, it would eliminate traffic, significantly reduce accidents and so on.

3. Private Space Vacations - with NASA being closed and the private sector taking over space travel for the U.S. it's only natural they'll look for ways to make money at it. In 50 years I could see a hotel in orbit like the ISS but for commercial use. I think it'll be really expensive but available widely to the public.

4. More cities, less rural territory - as technology becomes more and more entangled with our daily lives you'll see the rise of more Mega-Cities world wide, you already see it in developing nations and here State side. I imagine by 2064 we'll have at least a couple dozen cities with a population of 10 million or more in the surrounding area, I also think Jacksonville will be one of those cities as Florida is primed to pass New York as the third most populated state in the next few years.

5. Open surveillance - right now it's controversial and I won't give me thoughts on it, but when news about the NSA and data mining come out there's a big fuss. Over time it will become normalized, probably to the point we won't think much about any of it, many people already don't.

6. Videophones - I don't know why this isn't a bigger thing now, the technology already exist, Imagine it's just not profitable enough yet.

7. Drones - they'll be used for deliveries in Mega-cities and surrounding areas, to monitor crime, and dispatch emergency services. Also more of a presence on the police force, they're already a pretty big part of the military.

8. Solar Energy - of all the alternative energies solar is the most promising. While i think fossil fuels will still be in use they'll be on the way out as the solar technology is improved. As prices normalize and technology improves more and more stationary homes will use solar technology and battery backups to power homesteads.

9. Computers - will become smaller and faster then we can even imagine. Desktops and Laptops are all but obsolete already, only a matter of time until your cell phone is as powerful as any desktop we've ever built.

10. End of Prohibition - already see the movement to legalize or decriminalize marijuana only a matter of time before it spreads to all 50 states.

what do you guys think it'll look like in 2064?

Quote:What do you guys think the world will look like 50 years from now? interesting Idea........here's my 10 thoughts, In the year 2064:

1. World wide currency - not sure if it'll be the ONLY currency but I think you'll have a universal or global form of currency that is used in international trade. Just don't see the rest of the world as they catch up to the United States remaining satisfied with the dollar to much longer, definitely not 50 years from now.

2. Fully Automated highway travel - The technologies already here, and while I'll be the old man refusing to ride in of those "robot" cars it's inevitable. I imagine highways or major roads will require your vehicle to be on auto mode, it would eliminate traffic, significantly reduce accidents and so on.

3. Private Space Vacations - with NASA being closed and the private sector taking over space travel for the U.S. it's only natural they'll look for ways to make money at it. In 50 years I could see a hotel in orbit like the ISS but for commercial use. I think it'll be really expensive but available widely to the public.

4. More cities, less rural territory - as technology becomes more and more entangled with our daily lives you'll see the rise of more Mega-Cities world wide, you already see it in developing nations and here State side. I imagine by 2064 we'll have at least a couple dozen cities with a population of 10 million or more in the surrounding area, I also think Jacksonville will be one of those cities as Florida is primed to pass New York as the third most populated state in the next few years.

5. Open surveillance - right now it's controversial and I won't give me thoughts on it, but when news about the NSA and data mining come out there's a big fuss. Over time it will become normalized, probably to the point we won't think much about any of it, many people already don't.

6. Videophones - I don't know why this isn't a bigger thing now, the technology already exist, Imagine it's just not profitable enough yet.

7. Drones - they'll be used for deliveries in Mega-cities and surrounding areas, to monitor crime, and dispatch emergency services. Also more of a presence on the police force, they're already a pretty big part of the military.

8. Solar Energy - of all the alternative energies solar is the most promising. While i think fossil fuels will still be in use they'll be on the way out as the solar technology is improved. As prices normalize and technology improves more and more stationary homes will use solar technology and battery backups to power homesteads.

9. Computers - will become smaller and faster then we can even imagine. Desktops and Laptops are all but obsolete already, only a matter of time until your cell phone is as powerful as any desktop we've ever built.

10. End of Prohibition - already see the movement to legalize or decriminalize marijuana only a matter of time before it spreads to all 50 states.

what do you guys think it'll look like in 2064?

6: anyone that has an iPhone has FaceTime...I use it all the time. Plus don't forget Skype...
Quote:6: anyone that has an iPhone has FaceTime...I use it all the time. Plus don't forget Skype...

I have Facetime but I never use it, I don't know just imagine it'll be more normal in 50 years?
Quote:I have Facetime but I never use it, I don't know just imagine it'll be more normal in 50 years?

Could be...but I have to think in 50 years there is still things that you do while you're on the phone that you don't want people seeing... :whistling:
Quote:Could be...but I have to think in 50 years there is still things that you do while you're on the phone that you don't want people seeing... :whistling:

Didn't you see #5 everyone gonna see everything anyways!
Quote:Didn't you see #5 everyone gonna see everything anyways!

There's seeing...and then there's SEEING!!! :blink:
Quote:There's seeing...and then there's SEEING!!! :blink:

I see you, I'll let you ponder which seeing it is
Quote:There's seeing...and then there's SEEING!!! :blink:

I see you, I'll let you ponder which seeing it is