Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Uncle Phil died
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/01/showbiz/ce...?hpt=hp_t2

This is the most emotional moment for me, because it speaks volumes about deadbeat fathers.

http://youtu.be/AgkqTFasfmA

So sad....RIP
RIP

R.I.P.

well that sucks...

RIP

....In west Philadelphia, born and raised...
RIP loved watching that show

I am still amazed at how hilarious that show was.  Sometimes I watch shows from when i was little and they just suck, but that one is still hilarious after all these years.  Good writing on that show.  RIP Uncle Phil

That was one of my favorites. Uncle Phil was a good one.

No one to toss Jazz out any more. Sad
Uncle Phil was a Jersey guy, from Atlantic City NJ. :thumbsup: 

Quote:http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/01/showbiz/ce...?hpt=hp_t2

This is the most emotional moment for me, because it speaks volumes about deadbeat fathers.

http://youtu.be/AgkqTFasfmA

That was heavy.

Show's today just don't do it for me like they used to
Quote:That was heavy.

Thats because shows today ain't got no substance or soul. 
Quote:That was heavy.

I agree, the quality of sitcoms just isnt there anymore. 

I think some of that can be attributed to the boom of "reality shows". They are cheaper to produce.

Quote:I agree, the quality of sitcoms just isnt there anymore. 

I think some of that can be attributed to the boom of "reality shows". They are cheaper to produce.

Thats part of it. The other part is most of the current writers/ producers don't have any talent/ substance/ moral compass anyway.....thats why you get cheap nothing "humor" (thats really not even funny) & lots of shows like 2 & a half men, 2 Broke Girls, and crap like that. You won't see a scene like the one you referenced in the fresh Prince above anymore and if by extreme chance you did, most of the audience wouldn't care for it because at this point in time they are conditioned now to like empty, nothing, crap instead of meaningful stuff with a good message. 

Its funny, even when you go back and watch Roseanne re-runs from the 1990's, theres a good message/ themes to most of the individual episodes. I don't know what happened between then & now, but man, pop culture has sunk. 

Back on topic...

My favorite episode is when Will sneaks out to the pool hall and gets in debt to a hustler. So Phil goes to get him and outhustles the hustler. Classic.

Quote:I am still amazed at how hilarious that show was. Sometimes I watch shows from when i was little and they just suck, but that one is still hilarious after all these years. Good writing on that show. RIP Uncle Phil
Yes! I have a 6 season on DVD and I watch them a lot a still laugh like its the first time. RIP
Quote:Thats part of it. The other part is most of the current writers/ producers don't have any talent/ substance/ moral compass anyway.....thats why you get cheap nothing "humor" (thats really not even funny) & lots of shows like 2 & a half men, 2 Broke Girls, and crap like that. You won't see a scene like the one you referenced in the fresh Prince above anymore and if by extreme chance you did, most of the audience wouldn't care for it because at this point in time they are conditioned now to like empty, nothing, crap instead of meaningful stuff with a message. 

Its funny, even when you go back and watch Roseanne re-runs from the 1990's, theres a good message/ themes to most of the individual episodes. I don't know what happened between then & now, but man, pop culture has sunk. 
My family and I watch TV shows that have phenomenal writers and acting with scenes like this depicted here and there like the one in the original post. Sitcoms are generally not the place you're going to find this kind of episode shown above.
Quote:My family and I watch TV shows that have phenomenal writers and acting with scenes like this depicted here and there like the one in the original post. Sitcoms are generally not the place you're going to find this kind of episode shown above.

Not NOW, no. 

But you used to have many sitcoms that also had good messages like the one depicted in FPOBA...

I remember all these shows having positive messages and dealing with "issues" like in the example above: Diff'rent Strokes, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Family Ties, Roseanne, 

Hell, even early episodes of Bev Hills 90210 had episodes where they dealt with serious issues and provided a good message. Granted, the show diminished as the years went on to more of a soap opera, but in the early years, it wasn't a bad show. 
Pages: 1 2 3