Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Anyone Following The Story On The Brain Dead Girl And Her Family In California?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sad story from the beginning. The young girl went in for what is normally considered a routine procedure of removing her tonsils/adenoids. There were complication and long story short she is now brain dead and on life support.

The parents are fighting to keep her alive, but time is short, legally speaking. I couldn't imagine how they feel. Torn from two different ends.

http://gma.yahoo.com/jahi-mcmath-life-su...ories.html

That sucks...I feel so bad for the family! That's why they tell you that even minor procedures can be dangerous. I'd have a hard time "unplugging" my child right away too...at least I'd want to be 100% sure before I did! Once it's done it can't be undone!

On a side note: I didn't know they still did those surgeries any more. It was common place when I was young, but not one of my sons school friends ever had it done. I couldn't tell you the last time I heard of someone having their tonsils removed. :no:
Quote:That sucks...I feel so bad for the family! That's why they tell you that even minor procedures can be dangerous. I'd have a hard time "unplugging" my child right away too...at least I'd want to be 100% sure before I did! Once it's done it can't be undone!

On a side note: I didn't know they still did those surgeries any more. It was common place when I was young, but not one of my sons school friends ever had it done. I couldn't tell you the last time I heard of someone having their tonsils removed. :no:
Yup you're right. I think the parents want to know, and make sure 100% that they've exhausted all avenues of treatment.

Now that you bring it up, it has been a while since I have heard of someone having their tonsils out.
Kramer was right. She should have went to Tor. 

sorry too soon?....

Quote:Kramer was right. She should have went to Tor. 

sorry too soon?....
:down:
Quote:Kramer was right. She should have went to Tor. 

sorry too soon?....

You are right ... scociety has changed.
Quote:You are right ... scociety has changed.
I was going to go there, but decided to just skip it and hoped he'd see it himself. One of the reasons I replied to it. For the sake of posterity.
Quote:You are right ... scociety has changed.

Now THAT was irony.
This entire story breaks my heart. I have to side with her parents. I wouldn't give up either.

Nothing could ever be more painful than taking your own child off of life support. I couldn't do it, I know I couldn't.

Ok, it was too soon. 

For the record, I do feel bad for the girl and the family. I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone. 

It was just one of those things that popped into my mind upon reading the article/ post. I guess I have seen that episode of Seinfeld too much. 

Sorry. 

Quote:This entire story breaks my heart. I have to side with her parents. I wouldn't give up either.

Nothing could ever be more painful than taking your own child off of life support. I couldn't do it, I know I couldn't.

I could tell them to unplug myself before I could ever tell them to unplug my child!!!
Quote:Ok, it was too soon. 

For the record, I do feel bad for the girl and the family. I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone. 

It was just one of those things that popped into my mind upon reading the article/ post. I guess I have seen that episode of Seinfeld too much. 

Sorry.
Oh "for the record". That certainly helps.

Can't wait for your next post telling me or someone else how we represent the crass present and you pine for the days of good taste and decency.

Hypocrite.
Quote:Sad story from the beginning. The young girl went in for what is normally considered a routine procedure of removing her tonsils/adenoids. There were complication and long story short she is now brain dead and on life support.

The parents are fighting to keep her alive, but time is short, legally speaking. I couldn't imagine how they feel. Torn from two different ends.

http://gma.yahoo.com/jahi-mcmath-life-su...ories.html
This is a sad story.

You state that the family is fighting to "keep her alive." Sadly that's not true. She is no longer alive.

I read somewhere a quote from a doctor - the term life support is incorrect; it's really death support.
Quote:Oh "for the record". That certainly helps.

Can't wait for your next post telling me or someone else how we represent the crass present and you pine for the days of good taste and decency.

Hypocrite.

I made a joke, albeit in poor taste....but it was just that - a bad joke. And its not something that is part of my consistent behavior. An isolated incident.
I understand the parents are in a difficult position. One you would not expect being the parent of a child in for a very routine surgery. But they are making a sideshow of their daughter's condition. What I saw on the news today was a group of two dozen or so family members vying for camera time. Wouldn't surprise me if the mom is preparing for a lawsuit and a reality show.

Quote:I understand the parents are in a difficult position. One you would not expect being the parent of a child in for a very routine surgery. But they are making a sideshow of their daughter's condition. What I saw on the news today was a group of two dozen or so family members vying for camera time. Wouldn't surprise me if the mom is preparing for a lawsuit and a reality show.

So they should just pull the plug on their daughter, and walk away because this is a simple mistake?
Quote: 

Wouldn't surprise me if the mom is preparing for a lawsuit and a reality show.

Now THATS todays society. 
Quote:So they should just pull the plug on their daughter, and walk away because this is a simple mistake?

Pull the plug? Yes, she is already. Let her die with some dignity. What happened is horrible but making it into a media circus is making it worse. The mom was on TV talking about how her daughter moved her arm when she came into the room and knows she is still there. It's just not the case. Her brain function is gone. And even if you really believe, why do it in front of scores of TV cameras?

A lawsuit is fine as I am sure you can find some sort of medical negligence. But they are handling this poorly.
C'mon all, you know in what direction this thread can not go.

Quote:Pull the plug? Yes, she is already. Let her die with some dignity. What happened is horrible but making it into a media circus is making it worse. The mom was on TV talking about how her daughter moved her arm when she came into the room and knows she is still there. It's just not the case. Her brain function is gone. And even if you really believe, why do it in front of scores of TV cameras?

A lawsuit is fine as I am sure you can find some sort of medical negligence. But they are handling this poorly.

Whether you like it or not, the family has every right NOT to relinquish their parental rights to the State (or in this case the hospital) and keep their daughter alive by all possible means necessary.

I think we all have our own interpretations of letting someone die with dignity. In this case, the hospital made a grave mistake, and the family is trying to keep her alive in spite of. If she passes, thats their way of letting her go to rest with dignity. 

As was said earlier, its easy for someone on the outside looking in to criticize, how to handle a situation like this.  
Pages: 1 2