Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Interior Line
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We all know Brad Meester is now retired, so I was wondering who people think should stay and who should be brought in.  For example, I see a lot of people saying that they want to sign Alex Mack at C, but there is a good possibility that Mack will probably be a top priority for Cleveland to resign.  

So, who else is a target people want to see in  Jags uni next year, or, who on the team would you like to leave? Does anyone think Nwaneri could slide over to Center?  I think he has played there before.  How about the center for the Saints?  I think he is a free agent too and I think the Saints are up against the cap.  

Quote:We all know Brad Meester is now retired, so I was wondering who people think should stay and who should be brought in.  For example, I see a lot of people saying that they want to sign Alex Mack at C, but there is a good possibility that Mack will probably be a top priority for Cleveland to resign.  

So, who else is a target people want to see in  Jags uni next year, or, who on the team would you like to leave? Does anyone think Nwaneri could slide over to Center?  I think he has played there before.  How about the center for the Saints?  I think he is a free agent too and I think the Saints are up against the cap.  
We signed Patrick Lewis the Texas A&M rookie center a couple weeks ago and put him on the practice squad. He had good reports in the preseason games he played. I would think they would let him work into the center mix.
Idk much about the other centers or interior linemen available in FA. But I think if we sign one we may draft one as well.
Quote:We all know Brad Meester is now retired, so I was wondering who people think should stay and who should be brought in.  For example, I see a lot of people saying that they want to sign Alex Mack at C, but there is a good possibility that Mack will probably be a top priority for Cleveland to resign.  

Why keep Nwaneri? IMO, His play is/ has been part (not all) of the interior line issues over the years. 

I'd rather try an overhaul of the 3 spots. 
I think the offensive line will be treated the way the secondary was last year. It's already started with Monroe and Meester gone. Would not surprise me if Uche is let go. Rackley may stay one more year because he is pretty cheap. Guys like Brewster and Nowak bring very little. I could see the team bringing in multiple free agents and adding depth in the draft.

Quote:Why keep Nwaneri? IMO, His play is/ has been part (not all) of the interior line issues over the years. 

I thought I heard Nwaneri he has been injured, or maybe that was last year.  I just like the idea that we have someone on the roster that could slide over if needed.  Maybe he would perform better at center?  I don't know that much about the interior line (interchangeability of positions, physicality needed for each position etc)  so it is a legitimate question.
Joekel, Pasz, and Bradfield are your tackles.

Rackley and Matt Slauson at Guard

Alex Mack or another vet at center

Brewster and new guy are depth

Richie Incognito for the LULZ.

Quote:Joekel, Pasz, and Bradfield are your tackles.

Rackley and Matt Slauson at Guard

Alex Mack or another vet at center

Brewster and new guy are depth

Richie Incognito for the LULZ.

Put Incognito in the same room as Gabbert for entertainment value.
Our 17+ D-Linemen camp competition tryout thingy mabob will now be the 0-Line lol I foresee a lot of interior 0-Linemen coming through Jville this offseason and preseason.

Quote:Why keep Nwaneri? IMO, His play is/ has been part (not all) of the interior line issues over the years. 

Finding 2 new starters will be tough enough.  We will be bringing in a couple of FAs and a couple of draft picks at least.  If we can get a new center/ guard and upgrade Uche's spot, then great.

I wouldn't count on it though. 
I think Uche has been fine.  It's LG that's been atrocious.  Maybe we make a play for Jon Asamoah, Matt Slauson or Geoff Schwartz in FA.  I think we've seen enough of Rackley and Brewster. Mack would be nice at C, but he will likely command top dollar.

Heard on the radio today that some people inside the locker room think Jacque McClendon could get a serious look at Center.

I hope not.  I'm not saying he COULD be OK, but he obviously wasn't better than Meester (if he was, why didn't he play?).. and we need someone BETTER, not just a lateral move (if it's lateral move to begin with).
Quote:Heard on the radio today that some people inside the locker room think Jacque McClendon could get a serious look at Center.

I hope not.  I'm not saying he COULD be OK, but he obviously wasn't better than Meester (if he was, why didn't he play?).. and we need someone BETTER, not just a lateral move (if it's lateral move to begin with).

Well we do need a starting center and depth at center.  Work him out there and sign a vet.
Rackley has been often injured and inconsistent when healthy. Brewster is just not starter quality, at center or guard. At least one starting guard and one starting center need to be found in the offseason. With a probable rookie QB, I hope the center is a veteran free agent. Uche is an OK guard, just vastly overpaid for his performance (over $4.8m in base and roster bonus for 2014).
we have 2 centers on the team right now. Brad Meester is still listed on the roster, and Patrick Lewis rookie from Texas A&M. They may get a Vet center but i would bet the give Lewis a long look.

Texas A&M OT Jake Matthews is the best player in college football. The top of the draft is very interesting. Jake's dad, Bruce Matthews, played for the Houston Oilers possibly giving Jake some sort of familiar ties to the Texans based on geography. Bruce Matthews also played for Jeff Fisher in Tennessee when the Oilers left Houston behind. The Oilers/Titans former coach, Fisher, is now the coach of the St. Louis Rams, who sit in the two spot.

If Jake "survives" the top two picks, he adds a ironic twist to the Matthews family legacy by being drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Jake will be 'reunited' with former Aggies line mate Luke Joeckel, and, it's entirely possible that he can step in and thrive as a left guard in the NFL like his dear old dad did from so many years.
Quote:Texas A&M OT Jake Matthews is the best player in college football. The top of the draft is very interesting. Jake's dad, Bruce Matthews, played for the Houston Oilers possibly giving Jake some sort of familiar ties to the Texans based on geography. Bruce Matthews also played for Jeff Fisher in Tennessee when the Oilers left Houston behind. The Oilers/Titans former coach, Fisher, is now the coach of the St. Louis Rams, who sit in the two spot.

If Jake "survives" the top two picks, he adds a ironic twist to the Matthews family legacy by being drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Jake will be 'reunited' with former Aggies line mate Luke Joeckel, and, it's entirely possible that he can step in and thrive as a left guard in the NFL like his dear old dad did from so many years.
not only former Aggies line mate Luke Joekel but also former Aggies line mate and center Patrick Lewis (already on the JAGS)
We have the cap space to give out 2, 5M per year contracts no problem. If we wanted to go that route for LG/C the team would still have over 35M free.

Its hard to guess what Dave is going to do. SEA waited 3 years into the rebuild to invest big. Does Caldwell think this team needs another year to grow before investing heavily to maximize your window? Maybe he thinks he can find an athletic zone blocking center late in the draft, where they are often found. I would bet we sign one of those positions and draft the other one in the top 4 rounds. 

Quote:I hope not. I'm not saying he COULD be OK, but he obviously wasn't better than Meester (if he was, why didn't he play?).. and we need someone BETTER, not just a lateral move (if it's lateral move to begin with).

He was better that both Brewster and Rackley and likely would have not played if not for injuries to those two. Who's to say he isn't better than Meester.
Quote:We signed Patrick Lewis the Texas A&M rookie center a couple weeks ago and put him on the practice squad. He had good reports in the preseason games he played. I would think they would let him work into the center mix.

Luke Jokel and Patrick Lewis means we're prepping for Manziel lol. Seriously though I really like Yankey in the draft. He's a tactician at LG and overall excellent lineman.
Pages: 1 2