Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The psychology, and changing attitudes of Jaguar fans this season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

With the 2013 season coming to a close, and the off-season about to begin, I find it truly amazing how much the attitude has changed around here.

During September the attitude was: "I just hope we can get past the 50 yard line, and stay competitive until the 2nd half." Seriously, looking back at it, we really were one of the worst teams ever. Some fans and observers were declaring us destined to go 0-16, and that any win, against any team, would require some Divine Intervention. I remember one fan on here saying that the 2013 Jaguars were "the worst team he's seen in 50 years of watching football."

During October the mood started to brighten up a bit as we were staying competitive for the 1st half, but we couldn't close out games and the mood was still very pessimistic and many fans just couldn't wait for the off-season to start. I know, because I'll admit that I was one of them.

Now in November after the bye week and the Titans game, everything really started turning, and you could just feel the positive energy off of Gus, and Caldwell. Players, and fans alike started to buy in.

In December, the mood is just completely polar-opposite of what it was in September-October. Fans and players seem to be completely on board with Gus and Caldwell. And in the beginning of December, there was a lot of hope that the Jags might even sneak into the playoffs at 7-9. Unfortunately, the last 2 weeks have not turned out as well, but regardless of the outcome, the team has been competitive, and we're seeing all of this young talent starting to step up, and really develop into solid players.

January-September 2014: New franchise QB coming to the team, free agency, Justin Blackmon's suspension is lifted, re-signing of MJD and Marks (Hopefully), starters like Joeckel and Shorts are healed up and coming back to the team, UDFA, 10 draft picks, start of the 2014 season,....Playoffs?

I feel like we are witnessing the rebirth of the Jacksonville Jaguars franchise.

Here's a quick diagnosis of the mental state of Jaguars fans: We're all bloody nuts!

Some knees jerk a lot harder than others. Smile
With Alex Smith we would have been in the playoffs this year imo, not saying I want Alex Smith but our defense has gotten so many turnovers if we had a QB who was safe with the ball and could at least score some points we could have won a lot more games. 

Quote:Here's a quick diagnosis of the mental state of Jaguars fans: We're all bloody nuts!

You going Brit on us DF? LOL.

Before Jacksonville got a team in 1995, I was a Falcons fan......still my second team in honor of my father-in-law (RIP 1999)

Opened our business in 1995 as well and they've always been my team.

Jaguars all the way! Win or Lose!

Quote:With Alex Smith we would have been in the playoffs this year imo, not saying I want Alex Smith but our defense has gotten so many turnovers if we had a QB who was safe with the ball and could at least score some points we could have won a lot more games. 
I agree.  I wanted Alex Smith but some of the members on this board told me I was an idiot.  We would be pushing for a playoff spot if we had Alex Smith
Quote:With Alex Smith we would have been in the playoffs this year imo, not saying I want Alex Smith but our defense has gotten so many turnovers if we had a QB who was safe with the ball and could at least score some points we could have won a lot more games. 

Quote:I agree.  I wanted Alex Smith but some of the members on this board told me I was an idiot.  We would be pushing for a playoff spot if we had Alex Smith
Alex Smith would have been killed behind this line, and the Jags might have one or maybe two more wins this year.

The Chiefs roster situation is light years from the Jaguars roster situation. Saying Alex Smith would have made this team a playoff team discounts the rest of the entire roster.

Same reason the "Plug and play rookie QB" next year will not cure all of the ills of the Jaguars. The roster dynamics run far deeper than a single player.
Winning isn't everything.  It's the only thing.

There is now light at the end of the tunnel.

Or it's an oncoming train.
Quote:Winning isn't everything.  It's the only thing.
True...   

Happy Birthday. 
Quote:I agree. I wanted Alex Smith but some of the members on this board told me I was an idiot. We would be pushing for a playoff spot if we had Alex Smith
Alex Smith?

You're kidding me.

He's riding Jamaal Charles and a strong defense's coattails.

Did you see the game this week? Pffft. Alex Smith.
Quote:Alex Smith would have been killed behind this line, and the Jags might have one or maybe two more wins this year.

The Chiefs roster situation is light years from the Jaguars roster situation. Saying Alex Smith would have made this team a playoff team discounts the rest of the entire roster.

Same reason the "Plug and play rookie QB" next year will not cure all of the ills of the Jaguars. The roster dynamics run far deeper than a single player.
Wrong, we're in a weak division and with a competent QB we can out perform the Colts.
Quote:Wrong, we're in a weak division and with a competent QB we can out perform the Colts.

Alex Smith didn't even beat the Colts with the Chiefs. 
Quote:Wrong, we're in a weak division and with a competent QB we can out perform the Colts.
Maybe Alex Smith would have out-performed the Colts in QB rating, but unless he can stop the run, open running lanes for a RB, or other "less important things, to some", the Jaguars would have still been close to where they are now. There is a hell of a lot more to football than the QB. I know a lot of people don't believe that, but it's the cold hard truth.

Well said. I also agree with your assessment of our O-Line. They're getting better, but were absolutely horrible early in the season. No QB can manage a game while flat on his back...

Quote:Maybe Alex Smith would have out-performed the Colts in QB rating, but unless he can stop the run, open running lanes for a RB, or other "less important things, to some", the Jaguars would have still been close to where they are now. There is a hell of a lot more to football than the QB. I know a lot of people don't believe that, but it's the cold hard truth.

Yep. ^

The Jags have stopped the run effectively in exactly 5 games this season. 4 of those were wins.  Coincidence?  No.  Would Alex Smith have fixed that?  No. 

Quote:Maybe Alex Smith would have out-performed the Colts in QB rating, but unless he can stop the run, open running lanes for a RB, or other "less important things, to some", the Jaguars would have still been close to where they are now. There is a hell of a lot more to football than the QB. I know a lot of people don't believe that, but it's the cold hard truth.
Yes there is more than just the QB, our defense has been outstanding, especially in the turnover department.. you know why none of that matters tho? Our QB gives the ball away more than our defense takes it away which is pathetic considering how many takeaways we have this year. A safe-competent QB would do wonders for us right now. We would be in the playoffs WITHOUT question if we had Alex Smith, our schedule was rough at the beginning sure but the Oak/SD/Rams/Bills/2nd titans game were all very winnable, if we win those games we'd be sitting at 9 wins and currently be alone in the 6th wildcard spot.. not to mention we'd be playing Ind next week for the division. 

Quote:Alex Smith would have been killed behind this line, and the Jags might have one or maybe two more wins this year.

I concur with the part in bold.

Even though there is reason for optimism regarding the direction of this franchise, there is still a long way to go.

The team could stand to upgrade almost every single position on the roster.

QB?  Absolutely.

RB-Yes

WR-With Blackmon's suspension and Shorts' brittleness, we could use another guy

TE?  Maybe we could get another year out of Marcedes, but someone who could attack the deep seams would be nice

LG-Rackley is playing better than he was, but still needs to be upgraded.

C-Meester is retiring-definitely need a new guy here

RG-Uche is decent.  Maybe we can go another year with him.

RT-Pasztor played pretty well when forced into action, but it is uncertain if he is a longer term fix at that spot.

DE-Branch and Davis have produced down the stretch, but neither are dominant pass rushers.

DT-Marks is good, but needs a guy next to him.  Miller is more a rotational guy.

LB-the outside guys need upgrading, and Poz is expensive.

CB-need a guy opposite Gratz

S-maybe a guy opposite Cyprien

Does this mean we should not draft a QB early?  Not at all.

But no one player we pick would be a panacea for all that ails this team.

Quote:Yes there is more than just the QB, our defense has been outstanding, especially in the turnover department.. you know why none of that matters tho? Our QB gives the ball away more than our defense takes it away which is pathetic considering how many takeaways we have this year. A safe-competent QB would do wonders for us right now. We would be in the playoffs WITHOUT question if we had Alex Smith, our schedule was rough at the beginning sure but the Oak/SD/Rams/Bills/2nd titans game were all very winnable, if we win those games we'd be sitting at 9 wins and currently be alone in the 6th wildcard spot.. not to mention we'd be playing Ind next week for the division. 

The defense has NOT been "outstanding."

It has played better since the bye, but far from "outstanding" since then or overall.

Jacksonville is 27th in total defense, tied for 27th in scoring defense, 19th vs. the pass, 29th in sacks, and 30th v. the run.

Sure, some of that is attributable to offensive ineptitude. 

But some is attributable to a lack of talent.

Quote:The defense has NOT been "outstanding."

It has played better since the bye, but far from "outstanding" since then or overall.

Jacksonville is 27th in total defense, tied for 27th in scoring defense, 19th vs. the pass, 29th in sacks, and 30th v. the run.

Sure, some of that is attributable to offensive ineptitude. 

But some is attributable to a lack of talent.
I still cannot believe that so many people want Fisch back when our offense is ranked 32nd overall...
Pages: 1 2