Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Store owner told she'll get $1M for selling winning Mega Millions ticket, only she isn't
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How happy would you be.....only to be brought back to earth quick!

While a store owner in California who sold the other winning ticket will be getting a $1 million bonus, Georgia rules aren't so generous. Via NBC News:

Quote:Georgia lottery rules provide no retailer payout, spokeswoman Tandi Reddick said. Retailers get a flat 6 percent commission on the sales of the $1 tickets themselves, but no bonus for a winning ticket, she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/store-owner-mega-m...09246.html

In Maryand they get a bonus for selling the winning ticket(s)

What really sucks about this is that the CNN reporter had no business telling the woman she would get $1 million. On the other hand, the woman should know the rules.

Quote:What really sucks about this is that the CNN reporter had no business telling the woman she would get $1 million. On the other hand, the woman should know the rules.

Yeah, you would think you would know how much your entitled to.  6% on all sales isnt a terrible deal.  At least you know the process going in.

The guy who sold it in Cali will make around a million.  Good for him.
6% probably helps more people, more often, than the one-time payout. That sucks though

I think I also heard that you are not taxed on lottery winnings in California, but are in Georgia.
Quote:I think I also heard that you are not taxed on lottery winnings in California, but are in Georgia.

If true that would be about the only thing ever that they haven't taxed in Commiefornia.
Quote:If true that would be about the only thing ever that they haven't taxed in Commiefornia.
I was very surprised when I heard it. I thought the law in Calif. would say that Jerry Brown gets 75% of all lottery winnings.
Quote:Yeah, you would think you would know how much your entitled to.  6% on all sales isnt a terrible deal.  At least you know the process going in.

Quote:Yeah, you would think you would know how much your entitled to.  6% on all sales isnt a terrible deal.  At least you know the process going in.

After taxes, he'll go home with 20 bucks.

Quote:I think I also heard that you are not taxed on lottery winnings in California, but are in Georgia.
Not true.
I wish I'd win the damn lottery for once....and while I am still young enough to actually enjoy it to its fullest!

That's partially correct. Californians are not taxed on winnings from lotteries either sponsored by the state or that the state participates in, like Powerball and Megamillions. All winnings from other state lotteries are taxed.

Of course, all winnings in every state are subject to federal taxes.
Quote:That's partially correct. Californians are not taxed on winnings from lotteries either sponsored by the state or that the state participates in, like Powerball and Megamillions. All winnings from other state lotteries are taxed.

Of course, all winnings in every state are subject to federal taxes.

Did you know that they guy in the background of your gif sig looks like he's beating himself in the head?