Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Contenders and pretenders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
NFL.com analyst Jeffri Chadiha wrote his annual "Contender or pretender?" article about so-called borderline teams. The questions is: Which teams with at least six wins are true playoff contenders?

We know enough about the division-leading Patriots, Seahawks, Raiders, and Cowboys to not include them here. So Chadiha only focused on teams that are in the playoff picture with 6-8 wins. They are:

AFC

East

Dolphins (7-5)

North

Ravens (7-5)

Steelers (7-5)

South

Texans (6-6)

Colts (6-6)

Titans (6-6)

West

Chiefs (9-3)

Broncos (8-4)

NFC

East

Giants (8-4)

Redskins (6-5-1)

North

Packers (6-6)

Vikings (6-6)

South

Falcons (7-5)

Buccaneers (7-5)

West

No teams match

Now it is time to find out who the real contenders in each conference are. Who do you think belongs in the playoffs and/or is most likely to get in?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ayoff-race

Jaguars are contenders
Quote:Jaguars are contenders

Why do you say that knowing they aren't?
Out of his list from the AFC for Contenders:

Kansas City - They protect the football, create turnovers and find ways to win. They could quietly sneak their way into the AFC Championship game. 

Pittsburgh - They're good on offense and the defense is starting to come around - As long as Big Ben is healthy along with Bell anything is possible for them. 

The rest of those teams on his list are just pretending. Denver has the defense but their offense has a question mark still at QB and the running game has been average. I don't see them getting past Oakland or Kansas City with four games left this season. Miami, Baltimore and the entire AFC South I just don't trust overall due to their histories. Not a big fan or believer in Joe Flacco and the rest of the teams listed don't have the coaching experience that I can trust down the stretch. 

Out of his list from the NFC for Contenders:

New York - They're the only team that beat Dallas this year. And they could end up beating them again this Sunday night. If they pull that off they have to be taken more seriously. Eli turns the football over a bit too much as usual but the defense is improving as the year moves along and I think they'll do enough to earn a spot in the play-offs. 

The rest of those teams in the NFC are pretending. I don't trust Matt Ryan in the play-offs even if Atlanta manages to win out and take the NFC South with Tampa Bay nipping at their heels. Tampa Bay I think is on the rise. But I think they're still too young and need some more work before I feel comfortable calling them a legit contender. I am proud of Dirk Koetter and Mike Smith though turning that team around. The Packers can't be trusted this year. The Vikings are lost at the QB position and with no Peterson they can't make a serious push. And I am just not a fan of the Redskins. I think Cousins is overrated and also can't be trusted to make the right decisions in critical situations and I just think they'll find a way to fall apart this month. 
I think Pats cruise to the super bowl even without Gronk. NFC is a total toss up
Quote:I think Pats cruise to the Super Bowl even without Gronk. NFC is a total toss up.

There is no guarantee they get past the Raiders without him. In fact the Raiders may actually get the #1 seed.
Quote:There is no guarantee they get past the Raiders without him. In fact the Raiders may actually get the #1 seed.

Raiders gotta get by the Chiefs tomorrow in Arrowhead
Quote:Raiders gotta get by the Chiefs tomorrow in Arrowhead

That will be an entertaining game. I wish both teams could lose.
It's impossible for both teams to lose. But it is possible for both teams to not win
Quote:It's impossible for both teams to lose. But it is possible for both teams to not win

A tie would keep Oakland ahead in the standings and Denver in third place. Only a Raiders loss can help the Broncos.
Quote:A tie would keep Oakland ahead in the standings and Denver in third place. Only a Raiders loss can help the Broncos.
Who cares about Denver?
So which 6-6 teams do you guys think are real contenders?

Quote:So which 6-6 teams do you guys think are real contenders?

Is Bunnie or any other female poster allowed to give her opinion on this, or is it just for the guys to answer?
Quote:Is Bunnie or any other female poster allowed to give her opinion on this, or is it just for the guys to answer?

LOL Have other women besides me posted in this thread yet?
Quote:Raiders gotta get by the Chiefs tomorrow in Arrowhead
I was trying to remember who called this. But good on you.
The AFC Best looks like this now:

Chiefs 10-3

Raiders 10-3

Broncos 8-4

Chargers 5-7

Kansas City and Oakland switched places because of their divisional records.

I think the Chiefs exposed the Raiders last night. When they cant run and Carr gets pressured it looks bad

Raiders had two chances right after halftime to score 14 points but only got 3

Quote:I think the Chiefs exposed the Raiders last night. When they cant run and Carr gets pressured it looks bad

Raiders had two chances right after halftime to score 14 points but only got 3

The Raiders were missing their starting LT. Even with a bad game last night, they are still contenders in the AFC Best.
Quote:The Raiders were missing their starting LT. Even with a bad game last night, they are still contenders in the AFC Best.

I thought it was their LG.
Quote:I thought it was their LG.

Whatever position Kelechi Osemele plays.
Pages: 1 2