Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: One bright spot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Defense is ranked 4th in total yardage with 3 rookies starting. As much as ive ripped this team to shreds during the season I gotta believe with a few tweaks this roster is close to a playoff contender.
It's a bright spot.  But this season is way to "irregular" to make all that much about it.  Our lack of offense and turnover differential actually seems to be dictating games, and not in a good way.  Teams can almost beat us just with turnovers.   The probability is so high that they win the turnover battle they have to do almost nothing on offense to win.  And this is what the defense is facing. This is where we're at right now.  

This defense gives up untimely big plays on numerous occasions, and judging the unit by its statistical rankings would be a huge mistake by our new FO and coaching staff IMO. the Dline is old and overpaid, and imo the 2nd or 3rd weakest area on the team. I think the linebackers are decent but overrated. I think Cyprien is average, maybe above average on his good days. I think Gipson is extremely overrated. Really think Amukamara and Ramsey make a solid pair, but there's major holes on every level of the D as far as I'm concerned, and that's without considering the fact I think offensive line is 100000% the weakest position on the team.
Almost he says. Lmhbbjdo. Teams beat Jags this year purely due to turnovers, or short fields from ST returns/fumbles.

Perhaps one of our astute researchers can take away all the points conceded when the D is not on on the field (or from short fields unrelated to em) and tell us precisely where this D will rank in scoring. They get flack in that department, but do we subtract the 14 or so guaranteed points they have nothing to do with that show up on the scoreboard?

Just last Sunday: Final score, Denver 20, JV Jags 10. Now subtract the 13 directly gifted points to Denver...I digress

Last year we hoped to get a serviceable D to match the 'ascending' O. This year we hope to get a functional O to match the emergent D. What will it be next year? When will it all come together? Genuinely bored with all this.
Quote:This defense gives up untimely big plays on numerous occasions, and judging the unit by its statistical rankings would be a huge mistake by our new FO and coaching staff IMO. the Dline is old and overpaid, and imo the 2nd or 3rd weakest area on the team. I think the linebackers are decent but overrated. I think Cyprien is average, maybe above average on his good days. I think Gipson is extremely overrated. Really think Amukamara and Ramsey make a solid pair, but there's major holes on every level of the D as far as I'm concerned, and that's without considering the fact I think offensive line is 100000% the weakest position on the team.

The D has been more than good enough to win, particularly when compared to the rest of the league's defenses.  Every D gets knocked down in spurts, but look at the overall body of work.  They were notably better than the touted Denver D this Sunday...

But our really bad O would overwhelm even a number one D.

Sad but true

The D is a bright spot, with further upside if they can get more impactful turnovers.  The O is obviously not the bright spot, and must be addressed.

Quote:This defense gives up untimely big plays on numerous occasions
The Broncos have given up a league best 13 25+ yard pass plays, the Jags are 2nd with only 17. The problem is probably your perceptions compared to how bad the offense has been, also 2nd worst in the league with only 13 25+ yard plays.
Team groundhog..

Not much has changed in the Gus Error.  Sure the defense is playing better but the other team has safe game plans to wait for our offense to implode.  And on target our offense provides the needed opportunities to keep the plan in tact.

EDIT:

Don't fall into the trap we did with the offense last year.

Quote:EDIT:
Don't fall into the trap we did with the offense last year.
Yup, next season the offense will be good and the defense will be bad. lol
Quote:This defense gives up untimely big plays on numerous occasions, and judging the unit by its statistical rankings would be a huge mistake by our new FO and coaching staff IMO. the Dline is old and overpaid, and imo the 2nd or 3rd weakest area on the team. I think the linebackers are decent but overrated. I think Cyprien is average, maybe above average on his good days. I think Gipson is extremely overrated. Really think Amukamara and Ramsey make a solid pair, but there's major holes on every level of the D as far as I'm concerned, and that's without considering the fact I think offensive line is 100000% the weakest position on the team.
Well said, and agreed on everything. We have no pass rush, our defense fails to rise up when it matters most.

And we never cause turnovers, i think our secondary will never get a int again.
I don't know if I agree with this. The defense looks good on the stat sheet overall but it's not like we've really played anybody this year. We lost to Denver without their starting QB. That was Lynch's second career start. We lost to Kansas City without their starting QB. Foles is okay but he's not Smith. This team got demolished by capable QB's this year like Mariota and Rivers. We played Rodgers in the opener but they're in a huge slump this year. Flacco isn't elite. Chicago had Hoyer who was the back-up when we got there to play. Luck started gouging us late in the London game. Osweiler is one of the worst QB's this year with Bortles. Taylor in Buffalo isn't an elite QB. He's barely a good QB. We got beat by good QB's again like Stafford and Carr as well. The problem is that our offense, mostly Bortles, puts this team in a whole and gives the opponents a 7 to 10 point head start thanks to his costly mistakes so we're not really getting the best of our opposing offense all the time because they don't have to work too hard against this team that just shoots itself in the foot. 

Oh jump in front of the F train, BK, or perhaps the Q. It's faster.

The timing of angsts over the D is bogus. Last outing, D limited opponent to 1 of 13 1st downs, forced 11 punts, gave ball back to O twice in last 5 mins, and allowed a 25 min TOP. So what do we do, we talk about how suspect they are when a poster calls em a bright spot?
This defense has played well enough to be 6-6 or better this season.

How many times have they been put in awful situations due to turnovers by Blake? How many times has this offense gone 3 and out only to put the D back on the field. How many times have they actually played with a lead which would actually let the pass rush focus on one thing?

This defense has played extremely well given how poor the offense has been. If we had the defense from this year and the offense from last year.......

Quote:I don't know if I agree with this. The defense looks good on the stat sheet overall but it's not like we've really played anybody this year. We lost to Denver without their starting QB. That was Lynch's second career start. We lost to Kansas City without their starting QB. Foles is okay but he's not Smith. This team got demolished by capable QB's this year like Mariota and Rivers. We played Rodgers in the opener but they're in a huge slump this year. Flacco isn't elite. Chicago had Hoyer who was the back-up when we got there to play. Luck started gouging us late in the London game. Osweiler is one of the worst QB's this year with Bortles. Taylor in Buffalo isn't an elite QB. He's barely a good QB. We got beat by good QB's again like Stafford and Carr as well. The problem is that our offense, mostly Bortles, puts this team in a whole and gives the opponents a 7 to 10 point head start thanks to his costly mistakes so we're not really getting the best of our opposing offense all the time because they don't have to work too hard against this team that just shoots itself in the foot.

Paragraphs make reading so much more digestible

Marriota's RBs killed Jags, in a slow demoralizing manner, not him

The D clamped down Chiefs O all afternoon while leBortleau et co did their best to force the win down their throats
Quote:I don't know if I agree with this. The defense looks good on the stat sheet overall but it's not like we've really played anybody this year. We lost to Denver without their starting QB. That was Lynch's second career start. We lost to Kansas City without their starting QB. Foles is okay but he's not Smith. This team got demolished by capable QB's this year like Mariota and Rivers. We played Rodgers in the opener but they're in a huge slump this year. Flacco isn't elite. Chicago had Hoyer who was the back-up when we got there to play. Luck started gouging us late in the London game. Osweiler is one of the worst QB's this year with Bortles. Taylor in Buffalo isn't an elite QB. He's barely a good QB. We got beat by good QB's again like Stafford and Carr as well. The problem is that our offense, mostly Bortles, puts this team in a whole and gives the opponents a 7 to 10 point head start thanks to his costly mistakes so we're not really getting the best of our opposing offense all the time because they don't have to work too hard against this team that just shoots itself in the foot. 

Carr threw for under 200 yards against us.  Stafford's stat line wasn't anything to write home about either.

Quote:Paragraphs make reading so much more digestible

Marriota's RBs killed Jags, in a slow demoralizing manner, not him

The D clamped down Chiefs O all afternoon while leBortleau et co did their best to force the win down their throats

This defense still hasn't played anybody. Period. And the legit QB's that they did play this year they got schooled by like Matthew Stafford, Philip Rivers and Derek Carr. And, again, this offense puts us in huge holes and the other teams don't have to keep their foot on the pedal to inflate their numbers.

Andrew Luck nearly came back to beat us in London. Now that we play the AFC South for the remainder of this month we're fixing to get the best football from Mariota, Luck and Osweiler (I am not worried about him) since they're fighting for the AFC South lead. We'll see how they finish out the year. 
Quote:Carr threw for under 200 yards against.  Stafford's stat line wasn't anything to write home about either,

They didn't have to keep their foot on the pedal thanks to our offense giving them free points in turnovers in both of those games. Just keep that in mind. 
Quote:They didn't have to keep their foot on the pedal thanks to our offense giving them free points in turnovers in both of those games. Just keep that in mind. 

You're the one saying they destroyed us.  Did they destroy us, or did they go easy on us?

It's the NFL.  Every game counts.  You don't just stop playing hard because you got a turnover and you have the lead.
Quote:Oh jump in front of the F train, BK, or perhaps the Q. It's faster.

The timing of angsts over the D is bogus. Last outing, D limited opponent to 1 of 13 1st downs, forced 11 punts, gave ball back to O twice in last 5 mins, and allowed a 25 min TOP. So what do we do, we talk about how suspect they are when a poster calls em a bright spot?

Wow, thats nice. Did i say the defense sucks? I said the stats are misleading.
Pages: 1 2 3