Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Credit/Debit Card Data Breach at Target
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hope no one here was affected. Probably wise to check your statements and contact your banks, etc. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...h/4119337/

http://news.yahoo.com/target-stores-39-c...ector.html

why is the secret service investigating it? or did I read that wrong?

Quote:Hope no one here was affected. Probably wise to check your statements and contact your banks, etc. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...h/4119337/

http://news.yahoo.com/target-stores-39-c...ector.html
I hope they steal my identity.
I shop there quite a bit.

That being said, my bank is excellent with stuff like this.

Quote:I hope they steal my identity.
Do you have student loan debts? Because I'm pretty sure that if you do some good old fashioned identity theft would raise your credit score.
They got me. Tuesday morning had multiple thousands of dollars in Western Union transactions posted against my credit card. 

Of course it's the card setup to pay for everything so once the new ones come I have to update all the stupid websites...speaking of which i need to call the Jags ticket office. 

Quote:They got me. Tuesday morning had multiple thousands of dollars in Western Union transactions posted against my credit card. 

Of course it's the card setup to pay for everything so once the new ones come I have to update all the stupid websites...speaking of which i need to call the Jags ticket office. 
At least credit cards are insured/secured/whatever you wanna call it against these things. Good luck getting your money back when it's a debit card.
Quote:why is the secret service investigating it? or did I read that wrong?

The Secret Service is the investigative and enforcement arm of the Treasury Department, and they pursue specific financial crimes and counterfeiting.
Quote:The Secret Service is the investigative and enforcement arm of the Treasury Department, and they pursue specific financial crimes and counterfeiting.
[Image: 6a00e54ef2e21b88330168e8fcb6e3970c.jpg]
Quote:At least credit cards are insured/secured/whatever you wanna call it against these things. Good luck getting your money back when it's a debit card.

Every bank that has issued a debit card to me insures every debit card transaction. I once had a roommate steal my debit card and withdraw $600 total from 3 ATMs, pay for 2 expensive meals and a $300 electronics shopping spree and I was refunded every penny.
Quote:Every bank that has issued a debit card to me insures every debit card transaction. I once had a roommate steal my debit card and withdraw $600 total from 3 ATMs, pay for 2 expensive meals and a $300 electronics shopping spree and I was refunded every penny.
Yeah Checkcards or whatever are insured too. The issue is that your money is gone until it's refunded (usually within 10 days or so).

Glad it was just one of my credit cards, I still have real money to use. That's one of the reasons I stopped using the check card.
Quote:Every bank that has issued a debit card to me insures every debit card transaction. I once had a roommate steal my debit card and withdraw $600 total from 3 ATMs, pay for 2 expensive meals and a $300 electronics shopping spree and I was refunded every penny.
Guess that's something American banks do better than Dutch banks. Over here if get your debit card skimmed you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get your money back.
 About 4 transactions had to be called in for authorizations after I shopped at Target the week after Thanksgiving. I called Bank of America and they said there was a pending transaction from Target that the balance kept changing. I had to freeze my account and it has been a nightmare dealing with Target.

I always switch to gift cards, or cash during this time of year but didnt do it this time around and im paying for it.

I knew hating Target would pay off!  Nobody stole my card number....this time!

Quote:I knew hating Target would pay off!  Nobody stole my card number....this time!
They would have hit Wal Mart but the crooks probably know that nobody who shops there has any money to steal.
Quote:They would have hit Wal Mart but the crooks probably know that nobody who shops there has any money to steal.

LOL, I'm not a huge fan of them either.  We registered at Target for our wedding.  Some people bought us stuff and didnt take it off the registry....so we got about 5 duplicates.  Because we didnt get the receipt with the gifts, Target wouldnt take the stuff back.  Even the stuff that was Target brand.  Since then, I've sort of been on a crusade against them.

I used to go there all the time.....maybe 3 times in a little over 5 years.
Quote:The Secret Service is the investigative and enforcement arm of the Treasury Department, and they pursue specific financial crimes and counterfeiting.

Didn't know that I thought they where just the protective security for public officials
Quote:Do you have student loan debts? Because I'm pretty sure that if you do some good old fashioned identity theft would raise your credit score.
They'll take a look at mine and say ... no thanks.
I don't really shop at Targe'.. Too rich for my blood.. I like walmart.. Great excuse to shower after shopping.
It was an inside job

Pages: 1 2