Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What Shall We Do Now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Our 2 best wide receivers gone for the season now. Half of our offensive line on IR. MJD and Cyp dinged pretty good. What shall we do? It would be my humble opinion that we begin evaluating the young guys we want to bring back next year. There's no chance for the playoffs now so why not treat the next 2 games to give the younger guys some valuable experience. I know it sounds like another way of tanking. We still play to win.....but give Denard maybe 10-15 carries so he can get in some kind of rhythm. Let's see more of Jeremy Ebert and Kerry Taylor. Give Abry Jones some play time. Maybe even give Meester a break and play Patrick Lewis. Sure we probably wouldn't win but it would serve a good purpose. Evaluation, valuable experience for those that badly need it and a spot at 2 or 3 in the draft. I suspect this will be a little unpopular.
We do what we have always done. Win.
Quote:Our 2 best wide receivers gone for the season now. Half of our offensive line on IR. MJD and Cyp dinged pretty good. What shall we do? It would be my humble opinion that we begin evaluating the young guys we want to bring back next year. There's no chance for the playoffs now so why not treat the next 2 games to give the younger guys some valuable experience. I know it sounds like another way of tanking. We still play to win.....but give Denard maybe 10-15 carries so he can get in some kind of rhythm. Let's see more of Jeremy Ebert and Kerry Taylor. Give Abry Jones some play time. Maybe even give Meester a break and play Patrick Lewis. Sure we probably wouldn't win but it would serve a good purpose. Evaluation, valuable experience for those that badly need it and a spot at 2 or 3 in the draft. I suspect this will be a little unpopular.

I agree, let the kids play. Though I think Denard has proved on more Than one occasion that his hands are a problem they a mere week of training can fix
I doubt that it happens. You said yourself that it might be viewed as a form of "tanking", and I don't see Bradley as the type of coach who wants to encourage the, "Ok guys, we're done, let's see who's staying around next year," mentality. That's not to say it's an idea completely without merit. I wouldn't be too shocked to see the Falcons playing younger guys (which it seems they're doing, at least at CB), because they're a team that has a secure coaching staff, but the talent just got old and fell through this season. It'd make sense to see a team like the Texans doing it as well, were Wade Phillips not trying in vain to hold onto the head coaching job.

But on a team as young as the Jaguars? No, I don't see it happening on a broad scale. The "pack it in" mentality is not one that I envision Bradley signing off on. Bradley and Caldwell see all 53 of these guys, plus the eight on the practice squad, several times a week in practice. They pick apart their understanding of the game in film study. If a young guy earns more playing time during the week, he'll get that playing time on Sunday. But playing a center signed off of Cleveland's practice squad earlier this week just because he's younger than Meester? No way.

Generally speaking, guys added this late in the year--aside from promotions from the Jags' own practice squad--are being viewed as camp invitees next season, not players who are expected to contribute for the remainder of this year.

Quote:I doubt that it happens. You said yourself that it might be viewed as a form of "tanking", and I don't see Bradley as the type of coach who wants to encourage the, "Ok guys, we're done, let's see who's staying around next year," mentality. That's not to say it's an idea completely without merit. I wouldn't be too shocked to see the Falcons playing younger guys (which it seems they're doing, at least at CB), because they're a team that has a secure coaching staff, but the talent just got old and fell through this season. It'd make sense to see a team like the Texans doing it as well, were Wade Phillips not trying in vain to hold onto the head coaching job.

But on a team as young as the Jaguars? No, I don't see it happening on a broad scale. The "pack it in" mentality is not one that I envision Bradley signing off on. Bradley and Caldwell see all 53 of these guys, plus the eight on the practice squad, several times a week in practice. They pick apart their understanding of the game in film study. If a young guy earns more playing time during the week, he'll get that playing time on Sunday. But playing a center signed off of Cleveland's practice squad earlier this week just because he's younger than Meester? No way.

Generally speaking, guys added this late in the year--aside from promotions from the Jags' own practice squad--are being viewed as camp invitees next season, not players who are expected to contribute for the remainder of this year.

The ideas aren't mutually exclusive. You can still compete to win and give the young guys some more exposure. It can be sold to the locker room.
The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world.

With the remaining games, I would imagine both Bradley and Caldwell would buy off on the idea of not tanking, but to rotate in more players throughout the roster in order to evaluate the lesser played under 'live bullets' scenarios.
Quote:We do what we have always done. Win.

You're sarcasm is unmatched sir.
Quote:The ideas aren't mutually exclusive. You can still compete to win and give the young guys some more exposure. It can be sold to the locker room.
Yes, you can, by giving the young guys who are showing up to practice more reps in the rotation at their position. The OP seems to be suggesting that the team should play young guys simply because they're young, and not because they've earned those reps during the week.
Quote:Yes, you can, by giving the young guys who are showing up to practice more reps in the rotation at their position. The OP seems to be suggesting that the team should play young guys simply because they're young, and not because they've earned those reps during the week.

Sometimes you don't know what you got till you put them in the spotlight. I, myself was not a good practice player (actually terrible), but I shined in the game. I'm not saying to start the 2nd and 3rd stringers.....what I am saying is to give them more exposure. For instance, you made an investment in Denard. Now is the time to let him play more reps. Let the man build his self confidence. It will pay off in spades for next year. Same with Taylor. He missed an easy one at the beginning. But once he settled down, he showed he could do good things. Give everyone an opportunity. In my mind, this is preseason for next year.
I've seen enough of Kerry..I've said already I'd like WR Chad Bumphis to get some time. He could prove a better option than Ebert IMO