Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blackmon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've neglected the boards for a while now and wasn't around much during his suspension, but lately I'm seeing folks express confidence that we will keep Blackmon if he gets his crap together. Almost ALWAYS players get dumped after this many infractions. Did anyone hear some sorta news indicating we will keep him if he manages to turn it around? I keep reading posts which include Blackmon on the team, pending his recovery or whatever. I thought cut no matter what at this point?
I think cutting him just doesn't make any sense.  You keep him on the roster but you plan as if he won't return.  That is to say if we drop further down in the draft and a Sammy Watkins is still there - I say take him.

Worst case scenario - Blackmon messes up again and he will get a lifetime ban from the NFL.  The Jags lose, but at least no other team picks him up.

Best case scenario - Blackmon returns motivated and a changed man, and we have a legit #1 receiver.

Cutting him right after he gets re-instated just gives other teams a chance to pick him up and get a really good receiver.

Right now, we plan as if he won't be there.  If he is, great - it's a talented player no doubt. 

If he messes up again, he won't be there for us nor any other team.

The last thing I want to see is Luck-to-Blackmon touchdowns.

Quote:I've neglected the boards for a while now and wasn't around much during his suspension, but lately I'm seeing folks express confidence that we will keep Blackmon if he gets his crap together. Almost ALWAYS players get dumped after this many infractions. Did anyone hear some sorta news indicating we will keep him if he manages to turn it around? I keep reading posts which include Blackmon on the team, pending his recovery or whatever. I thought cut no matter what at this point?

This team doesn't want to get "Chris Carter(ed)" by Justin Blackmon, he's just way too talented.
Quote:I think cutting him just doesn't make any sense.  You keep him on the roster but you plan as if he won't return.  That is to say if we drop further down in the draft and a Sammy Watkins is still there - I say take him.

Worst case scenario - Blackmon messes up again and he will get a lifetime ban from the NFL.  The Jags lose, but at least no other team picks him up.

Best case scenario - Blackmon returns motivated and a changed man, and we have a legit #1 receiver.

Cutting him right after he gets re-instated just gives other teams a chance to pick him up and get a really good receiver.

Right now, we plan as if he won't be there.  If he is, great - it's a talented player no doubt. 

If he messes up again, he won't be there for us nor any other team.

The last thing I want to see is Luck-to-Blackmon touchdowns.
I get what you're saying but usually players get cut right after re-instatement with these type of multiple issues. If teams don't, it often looks like said team doesn't know what they're doing. I know no one's said he's getting cut & have used the typical coach speak of the wait & see approach, but that's normally the politically correct thing to say, while the rest of the league knows the player will never wear that team's uniform again. I keep reading folks talking as if he's a jag after if he straightens out. Usually, you hear the coach speak but know the player won't be back.
The 49ers won't cut Aldon Smith, the Broncos won't cut Von Miller, at the end of day (whether you agree or not) talent usually wins. By all accounts Justin Blackmon isn't a bad teammate, if he were a locker room cancer I could see it, this team has too much invested him to cut ties at this point.

Quote:This team doesn't want to get "Chris Carter(ed)" by Justin Blackmon, he's just way too talented.

No don't get me wrong, I want him back if he gets his act together. I think this kid could be a future hofer if he straightens out. He's the type of guy that rarely comes along, especially to us lol.
Quote:The 49ers won't cut Aldon Smith, the Broncos won't cut Von Miller, at the end of day (whether you agree or not) talent usually wins. By all accounts Justin Blackmon isn't a bad teammate, if he were a locker room cancer I could see it, this team has too much invested him to cut ties at this point.

Well this is what I was hoping for and believed myself after his suspension, but I was thinking what a waste. He won't be a jag anymore, he'll be cut & go on to great things with another team. I feel that if the Gene regime were still here, he'd be 86ed for sure.
The best bet is to go ahead as if he is no longer a part of the team and go ahead and draft another bigger receiver like Devante Parker to fill that role. If Blackmon does get his act together then you got a real nice WR group.
Quote:The best bet is to go ahead as if he is no longer a part of the team and go ahead and draft another bigger receiver like Devante Parker to fill that role. If Blackmon does get his act together then you got a real nice WR group.

This is exactly what I would do. They need to send him a message.
Quote:This is exactly what I would do. They need to send him a message.

Good point.
This has nothing to do with my post but not worthy of a new topic thread. How does one accumulate stars on their profile here?
As mentioned, he's not a locker room issue. With his playmaking talent and youth, he is worth the risk to keep him on the roster. Of course, unfortunately, with his recurring track record, it makes sense for the team to mitigate the risk by having another quality receiver on the roster to take his place.
What about my stars on the profile question? Anyone? Please? Real quick?
Quote:This is exactly what I would do. They need to send him a message.

You don't think that whole, suspended-indefinitely-must-apply-for-reinstatement punishment sent a message?

Quote:This has nothing to do with my post but not worthy of a new topic thread. How does one accumulate stars on their profile here?

No idea, but I think it's when someone else goes on your profile and gives you the ol' thumbs up. Heck, if it'll make you feel better I'll throw ya one, just because it's Monday and we could all use a little good news today.
Quote:You don't think that whole, suspended-indefinitely-must-apply-for-reinstatement punishment sent a message?

Apparently the two DUI's, suspended for 4 games, and forfeiting millions in guaranteed money punishment hasn't sent him a message. 

Quote:Apparently the two DUI's, suspended for 4 games, and forfeiting millions in guaranteed money punishment hasn't sent him a message. 

You don't know that this most recent punishment did not get to him though. I admit, I am not as big of a "punisher" as some on here, but until he returns and we see how he acts none of us will know his mindset.
Quote:You don't know that this most recent punishment did not get to him though. I admit, I am not as big of a "punisher" as some on here, but until he returns and we see how he acts none of us will know his mindset.

It could have.  I am am just saying, I would draft a WR this year to maybe send a message or at least have a safety valve in case he does mess up again.  
Bradley and Caldwell both stated they had no plans to move on from Blackmon when  he was suspended, citing that they don't "leave their own behind"

Quote:It could have.  I am am just saying, I would draft a WR this year to maybe send a message or at least have a safety valve in case he does mess up again.  

Oh, I have no problem in adding talent to the roster but that happens regardless. It's just that in my perspective, not everything around a football team has to be confrontational and message-sending. Sometimes it's simply doing business.

"Hey Justin, see that shiny new WR over there? Yeah, we really like how he plays football. Wouldn't it be great if you and him could get on the field together and make opportunities for one another?"

Quote:Oh, I have no problem in adding talent to the roster but that happens regardless. Not everything around a football team has to be confrontational and message-sending. Sometimes it's simply doing business.

"Hey Justin, see that shiny new WR over there? Yeah, we really like how he plays football. Wouldn't it be great if you and him could get on the field together and make opportunities for one another?"

Agreed. 
Pages: 1 2