Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who Will Be Brought Back?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looking ahead to free agency, we don't really have a lot of guys coming off of the books and I don't think it's a bad thing. A lot of these guys are expendable, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Which guys do you think will be brought back?

Chad Henne- At this point he is what he is. He came to Jacksonville and made a nice little penny for a few years, but I don't see this team moving forward with him, even as a backup. No.

Maurice Jones-Drew- This topic has already been beat to death, but if he comes back on a team friendly deal and splits carries, I'm all for it. He seems to buy into the Gus Bradley way. Yes.

Taylor Price- He's been just a guy so far and I wouldn't be heartbroken to see him leave. These next few weeks could be his tryout. No.

Clay Harbor- He's made a few plays this season and has actually been a red zone threat at times. If we could bring him back on a cheap deal, he isn't bad young depth. Yes.

Brad Meester- It's been a great run and he certaintly belongs in the "all-time Jag" conversation, but the last of the TC holdovers will be gone after this year. Happy retirement! No.

Sen'Derrick Marks- This is probably one of the best FA signings of Dave Caldwell's young career. He's played at a high level and I think he will get a multi-year deal. I don't see a lot of teams overpaying for him though, so I think he comes back. Yes.

Brandon Deadrick- Just a guy really. I had high hopes for him coming in, but he hasn't really proven enough to stay in the rotation consistently. I'd be surprised if he returned. No.

Will Blackmon- Street FA who came in and played really, really well. I would be very surprised to see him sign with another team, especially since he seems to really like Gus. Yes.

I agree with all except Henne, he's a serviceable backup who knows the system and understood the word competition. If they can get a reasonable upgrade, fine, but he fits one of the plans they have right now. The Drew situation has been beaten to death, he's worth short money depending on How he is in Gus' locker room and all indications are that he fits.

Babin?
Quote:I agree with all except Henne, he's a serviceable backup who knows the system and understood the word competition. If they can get a reasonable upgrade, fine, but he fits one of the plans they have right now. The Drew situation has been beaten to death, he's worth short money depending on How he is in Gus' locker room and all indications are that he fits.

Babin?

Henne will probably want to be paid like a starter if he comes back and honestly I'd rather stick with Gabbert as the backup moving forward. He's younger, cheaper and still has more long-term promise. I wonder if his game has improved at all since the benching. Also, Babin isn't a free agent.
Quote:Henne will probably want to be paid like a starter if he comes back and honestly I'd rather stick with Gabbert as the backup moving forward. He's younger, cheaper and still has more long-term promise. I wonder if his game has improved at all since the benching. Also, Babin isn't a free agent.

It doesn't matter if Henne wants to be paid like a starter.  No one will give him starter money. 

Babin isn't a free agent, but he carries a high price tag.   I think we need to look at performance vs price on some of our veterans.  
Quote:It doesn't matter if Henne wants to be paid like a starter.  No one will give him starter money. 

Babin isn't a free agent, but he carries a high price tag.   I think we need to look at performance vs price on some of our veterans.  

He's probably the best QB on the market not named Cutler. I agree that he won't get starter money, but I don't think he comes as a cheap backup either.

Were in agreement on the price vs production thing. Mincey was probably released largely in part because of his cap hold. Babin's production hasn't been that poor though as he has 5.5 sacks and we already have an abundance of cap room (I count the most in the league after the Mincey cut) we can afford to overpay him.

Jag Free Agents 2014...

Keep:
Will Blackmon ...nice off-the-street surprise.
Cameron Bradfield (RFA) ...improving this season as a swing OT.
Mike Brown (ERFA) ...developing into solid WR4 or WR5.
Ryan Davis (ERFA) ...developing, see what he has last 3 games.
Chad Henne ...with rookie, will need a vet QB, knows system.
Sen'derrick Marks ...sign him!!
Austin Pasztor (ERFA) ...developing and effective right tackle.
Will Ta'ufo'ou (ERFA) ...experienced inexpensive and effective.
Jordan Todman (RFA) ...decent backup RB with upside and speed.

Be Free:
Delone Carter ...may surprise if given opportunity.
Brandon Deaderick ...turned out just to be another guy.
Brad Meester ...father time at the door.
MJD ...more money elsewhere, losing a step.
Taylor Price ...availability not his strong suit.
Allen Reisner (RFA) ...coaches like him but I see nothing special.
Sam Young ...squeezed out when Joeckel returns, just a guy.
Quote:He's probably the best QB on the market not named Cutler. I agree that he won't get starter money, but I don't think he comes as a cheap backup either.

We're talking about Henne here, right?? :blink:
Quote:We're talking about Henne here, right?? :blink:
Lol my thoughts exactly

When he's up against a stacked free agent group that includes Culter, Vick, Freeman, Derek Anderson, the McClowns, and John Skelton he isn't all that bad. The team needs a different starter no question, but Henne seems like a good guy to push the rookie.
Quote:When he's up against a stacked free agent group that includes Culter, Vick, Freeman, Derek Anderson, the McClowns, and John Skelton he isn't all that bad. The team needs a different starter no question, but Henne seems like a good guy to push the rookie.

I'll say that Henne's been less "Heiney" lately....and has done enough to at least not lose games for us...but he'd be behind most on even that above list. 
Quote:I'll say that Henne's been less "Heiney" lately....and has done enough to at least not lose games for us...but he'd be behind most on even that above list. 

I don't even think it's about his play as much as it's the question of would the rookie benefit from having those guys around? Do you want a guy like Josh Freeman influencing a TB or McCarron? Henne seems like a stand up guy who's played a lot so he has both character and experience (even if he hasn't been very good) and has already shown that he won't be a drama queen when someone who's a lesser player is on the field in front of him.
Quote:I don't even think it's about his play as much as it's the question of would the rookie benefit from having those guys around? Do you want a guy like Josh Freeman influencing a TB or McCarron? Henne seems like a stand up guy who's played a lot so he has both character and experience (even if he hasn't been very good) and has already shown that he won't be a drama queen when someone who's a lesser player is on the field in front of him.

Fair points. I could see Henne being a bridge QB for the Jags until the rookie is ready to be installed permanently as starter. I thought you were trying to say before that Henne will be more sought after by other teams than most of those you mentioned. 
Henne will get another 2 year / $4 mil deal and act as the baseline QB who knows the system, can make the throws, and can manage and win games as the team around him improves.  1 or more young QBs will be brought in and given the chance to win the starting job. 

As for MJD, he should get a similar deal at about $2 mil a year.  Meester?  I dunno.  His contract is up.  He could play another year and if the Jags don't draft a C they might want him back.  We could really use a young stud with some push in the middle, but other priorities may take precedence.

Quote:Looking ahead to free agency, we don't really have a lot of guys coming off of the books and I don't think it's a bad thing. A lot of these guys are expendable, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Which guys do you think will be brought back?

Chad Henne- At this point he is what he is. He came to Jacksonville and made a nice little penny for a few years, but I don't see this team moving forward with him, even as a backup. No.

Maurice Jones-Drew- This topic has already been beat to death, but if he comes back on a team friendly deal and splits carries, I'm all for it. He seems to buy into the Gus Bradley way. Yes.

Taylor Price- He's been just a guy so far and I wouldn't be heartbroken to see him leave. These next few weeks could be his tryout. No.

Clay Harbor- He's made a few plays this season and has actually been a red zone threat at times. If we could bring him back on a cheap deal, he isn't bad young depth. Yes.

Brad Meester- It's been a great run and he certaintly belongs in the "all-time Jag" conversation, but the last of the TC holdovers will be gone after this year. Happy retirement! No.

Sen'Derrick Marks- This is probably one of the best FA signings of Dave Caldwell's young career. He's played at a high level and I think he will get a multi-year deal. I don't see a lot of teams overpaying for him though, so I think he comes back. Yes.

Brandon Deadrick- Just a guy really. I had high hopes for him coming in, but he hasn't really proven enough to stay in the rotation consistently. I'd be surprised if he returned. No.

Will Blackmon- Street FA who came in and played really, really well. I would be very surprised to see him sign with another team, especially since he seems to really like Gus. Yes.
Henne- At this point in time, I think Gabbert is gone and we'll more than likely have some time of veteran QB here next year, just in case. So, I'm leaning towards yes.

MJD- He wants to stay, the team wants him back. He's finally getting back to full speed and has looked good as of recently, so yes.

Taylor Price - Is he still on the roster? No.

Clay Harbor - 50/50 on him. If we draft a TE, he's gone. If we don't, he stays. I think we'll draft one, however. No.

Brad Meester - He's more than likely going to retire, so it's a moot point.

Sen'Derrick Marks - He's played really well. He'll certianlly get more than the 1 year vet minimum deal he got last year. Yes.

Brandon Deadrick - He hasn't played alot, and hasn't stood out when he has gotten a chance. No.

Will Blackmon - I think he should get a 2-3 year deal to stay, but it wouldn't surprise me if a team offered him more then we will. Yes.

Quote:I'll say that Henne's been less "Heiney" lately....and has done enough to at least not lose games for us...but he'd be behind most on even that above list.

I'd put him under Cutler and Freeman, but above Vick, the McCowns, and Skelton. Vick and the McCowns are too old and Skelton just isn't good.

Quote:Jag Free Agents 2014...

Keep:

Will Blackmon ...nice off-the-street surprise.

Cameron Bradfield (RFA) ...improving this season as a swing OT.

Mike Brown (ERFA) ...developing into solid WR4 or WR5.

Ryan Davis (ERFA) ...developing, see what he has last 3 games.

Chad Henne ...with rookie, will need a vet QB, knows system.

Sen'derrick Marks ...sign him!!

Austin Pasztor (ERFA) ...developing and effective right tackle.

Will Ta'ufo'ou (ERFA) ...experienced inexpensive and effective.

Jordan Todman (RFA) ...decent backup RB with upside and speed.

Be Free:

Delone Carter ...may surprise if given opportunity.

Brandon Deaderick ...turned out just to be another guy.

Brad Meester ...father time at the door.

MJD ...more money elsewhere, losing a step.

Taylor Price ...availability not his strong suit.

Allen Reisner (RFA) ...coaches like him but I see nothing special.

Sam Young ...squeezed out when Joeckel returns, just a guy.

I would definitely hold on to Reisner and Carter, at least until first cuts.

Ahaha seriously though, look at the Free Agent QB's this offseason. He is probably the 2nd best.

Derek Anderson

CAR

Jimmy Clausen

CAR

Jay Cutler

CHI

Jordan Palmer

CHI

Josh McCown

CHI

Trent Edwards

CHI

Shaun Hill

DET

Matt Flynn

GB

Seneca Wallace

GB

Chad Henne

JAX

Pat Devlin

MIA

Joe Webb

MIN

Josh Freeman

MIN

Luke McCown

NO

Curtis Painter

NYG

David Garrard

NYJ

Michael Vick

PHI

Charlie Whitehurst

SD

Tarvaris Jackson

SEA

Colt McCoy

SF

Kellen Clemens

STL

Dan Orlovsky

TB

Rusty Smith

TEN

R

Rex Grossman

WAS

Hey the Luke McCown guy might could come play for us. Hear he is decent. /sarcasm
I would no upset if we brought Vick here. I know his injury problems, but if we get him a line that can help him, maybe a guard and center, he could keep us competitive while we groom our young QB.
Posluszny is not a perfect scheme fit for Bradley's defense and Smith overpaid him by 15-20%.  

That said  - when you consider the cap space available  and the number of positions in dire need of upgrade - it's easy to see him staying for at least one more year.  

-------------------

I found Price's inclusion in the OP interesting. He's been on injured reserve this entire season and was hurt last year as well.  I could see him getting a shot to prove himself in camp next year - but he'll get no tryout this year as the OP questions  -  he's on IR. 
Quote:Posluszny is not a perfect scheme fit for Bradley's defense and Smith overpaid him by 15-20%.  

That said  - when you consider the cap space available  and the number of positions in dire need of upgrade - it's easy to see him staying for at least one more year.  

-------------------

I found Price's inclusion in the OP interesting. He's been on injured reserve this entire season and was hurt last year as well.  I could see him getting a shot to prove himself in camp next year - but he'll get no tryout this year as the OP questions  -  he's on IR. 

I must have missed him going on IR. I thought he would be active and see some action as the season winds down.
Pages: 1 2