Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: MJD can still hit 1k rushing yards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If he plays the final three games, he will need to gain 281 yards on the ground to hit 1000 yards on the season. Do you guys think he can do it or not?

Our final 3 games are Buffalo, Tennessee and Indiana

Buffalo gives up 124.8 rushing yds/g

Tennessee gives up 117.1 rushing yds/g

Indiana gives up 130.6 rushing yds/g

What are MJD's odds of passing 1k yards this season??

Adrian Peterson can do that in one game.

As for mjd, if he doesn't play this week definitely not. He has been producing more the last few games. It will be close. I'm going to say that he doesn't make it though.
Who cares if a RB gets to 1000 yards when he is averaging 3.5 ypc?

He might, I hope Cecil gets 1k Rec yds more tho, he only needs to average like 74 per game. 

He may not even play this weekend

Would be nice but more so for sentimental reasons and yes he's only averaging 3.5 a carry but he's been improving as the season goes on.
Quote:Would be nice but more so for sentimental reasons and yes he's only averaging 3.5 a carry but he's been improving as the season goes on.

Yes, I get so sentimental when MJD reaches 1,000
He has a chance, but will probably fall short... I thinks Cecil Shorts has a better shot at 1000 yds than MJD based on the hamstring issue plaguing our ever-aging RB. Wouldn't it be nice to have 2 players break 1000 yds... Could have been 3 if Justin Blackmon didn't hit the 1000ml consumption mark a few weeks back.

Quote:Yes, I get so sentimental when MJD reaches 1,000

I didn't mean it like that. More so its just a statistical mark I'd like to see him hit. Same with CHorts.
I don't know why anyone thinks 1,000 yards rushing is a big deal anymore.

1,000 was significant before the season was expanded to 16 games. Now it's only averaging 63 yards per game. Whoopee.

The standard for having a good year ought to be 1,200 yards rushing.

Quote:I don't know why anyone thinks 1,000 yards rushing is a big deal anymore.

1,000 was significant before the season was expanded to 16 games. Now it's only averaging 63 yards per game. Whoopee.

The standard for having a good year ought to be 1,200 yards rushing.

Wait, so rushing for 1,000 yards hasn't been significant for over 35 years?

Today's NFL is different. RBs don't carry the ball nearly as often as they use to. Ten years ago, in 2003, 13 RBs averaged 20+ carries per game. In 2013 the only three RBs with 20+ carries per game... Dough Martin, Adrian Peterson, and LeSean McCoy.

If a running back is carrying the ball ball 4 less times per game (which seems about right) and averages 4 yards per carry, that translates to 256 yards over the course of the season.

I doubt he plays this week, but just the fact that he's that close (281) is shocking. I hadn't even realized it. He's still pluggin' along.

Quote:Wait, so rushing for 1,000 yards hasn't been significant for over 35 years?

Today's NFL is different. RBs don't carry the ball nearly as often as they use to. Ten years ago, in 2003, 13 RBs averaged 20+ carries per game. In 2013 the only three RBs with 20+ carries per game... Dough Martin, Adrian Peterson, and LeSean McCoy.

If a running back is carrying the ball ball 4 less times per game (which seems about right) and averages 4 yards per carry, that translates to 256 yards over the course of the season.

Sorry, but rushing for 1,000 is just not a big deal. Do you even realize when someone on another team passes the 1,000 mark? I don't think any special mention is made, because it's a fairly pedestrian milestone.

Do you think if MJD gets to 1,000 it means he's had a good year?
Quote:Sorry, but rushing for 1,000 is just not a big deal. Do you even realize when someone on another team passes the 1,000 mark? I don't think any special mention is made, because it's a fairly pedestrian milestone.

Do you think if MJD gets to 1,000 it means he's had a good year?

So you would say that 1,000 yards rushing hasn't been impressive since 1978?

I never said that 1,000yards is the benchmark for good vs. bad year. I am not a fan of arbitrary cutoffs. I think yards per touch is a much better indication of good/bad years. However, to think that 1,000 yards is a walk in the park is wrong.
I think the real question is can he break Barry Sanders record????
Quote:Wait, so rushing for 1,000 yards hasn't been significant for over 35 years?

This is an excellent point, 1k rushing IS in fact becoming harder to obtain, due to the decrease in the RB's role in the offense. And for people saying that 1k rushing is only 63 yards per a game, it was only 71 yards per a game in 1978. I agree, 1k yards is still significant, its not easy to do, if it was every back would.

And Just in case you want to know the new cut off (using the old/'best' '78 standard) is 1136. So hit 1136 and your somebody, get one yard below and back to noobsville for you!
yipee
Haha nope. Right in the post Sad

Inactive today
So will either Shorts or MJD hit 1k yards? I am thinking probably no to both...