Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Laptop won't connect to WiFi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Got new WiFi set up last week in my house. Works with all devices apart from my Acer laptop. It connects to the WiFi but it won't let me use the internet and keeps saying that there is not internet access.

Anyone know how to fix this? Google has not helped.
I usually restart the networking or wifi service whenever I'm having wifi issues.  But that's on Linux.  I want to say on Windows there's an option to check for errors.  I think it was Network troubleshooter "Identify and repair network problems".  I remember that fixing the issues a few times, but so did restarting the computer.  If you know the wifi card is good, it may be a driver issue.

Quote:Got new WiFi set up last week in my house. Works with all devices apart from my Acer laptop. It connects to the WiFi but it won't let me use the internet and keeps saying that there is not internet access.

Step 1, get rid of Window$.
Real computer uses know you aren't telling the truth because how are you posting to the board if you don't have an internet connection. Tell me the truth now or you will be put on ignore.
We DEMAND an answer.
Quote:Got new WiFi set up last week in my house. Works with all devices apart from my Acer laptop. It connects to the WiFi but it won't let me use the internet and keeps saying that there is not internet access.

Couple ideas:

-Right click on the wifi icon in your taskbar and click "Troubleshoot". It might figure out and fix the problem there.

-Go to acer.com, punch in your laptop's model number in the support section and download an updated driver for your wifi adapter, or...

-Go into device manager, locate your wifi adapter (under network adapters), right click it and update the driver. You'll probably have better luck updating it yourself through Acer's website, though. Windows is stupid about drivers.
This article just randomly popped up on yahoo.com.  

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3147290/w...-7-pc.html

Looks like it could be related:

Quote: 

To start, try the following steps:

• Go to Control Panel\Network > Internet\Network > Sharing Center.
  • From the left pane, choose “manage wireless networks,” then delete your network connection.
  • After that, choose “adapter properties.”
  • Under “This connection uses the following items,” uncheck “AVG network filter driver” and retry connecting to the network. (Yours might read “Hotspot Shield” instead; uncheck this option.) It will work immediately, even without restarting the system.
<p style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;">If that doesn’t work, try these steps:
  • Run CMD as an administrator
  • Enter netsh winsock reset, then press enter
  • Restart your computer
The last time I had to trouble shoot a laptop...

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Thanks all for ze help. Unfortunately none of it works.
JW and I have sorted out our differences.
Quote:JW and I have sorted out differences.

Whens the wedding?
Quote:Whens the wedding?

February 29th 2017.
Quote:.<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNyK3vcBu-c'>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNyK3vcBu-c</a>

Thanks but no luck. Its driving me mad.

Depending on your provider, some internal wifi cards just do not work with the router provided.

For example, with uverse, Toshiba laptops are known to have connection issues exactly like this.

Two choices, provide your own wireless router and connect through that or get a USB wifi adapter and use that instead of the internal one.

When I installed Uverse if we encountered this problem, the USB adapter fixed it almost everytime.
Quote:When I installed Uverse if we encountered this problem, the USB adapter fixed it almost everytime.

Cancelling Uverse is what fixed it for me.
I had to wait 2 hours for my connection to be activated when I moved three years ago. It was rough.
Oh, dear.   Microsoft still breaking their operating system every month.

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/09/my...rking_bug/

Looks like you might want to follow jagsibelieve's advice.

Quote:Looks like you might want to follow jagsibelieve's advice.
And do what? Switch to Linux?

No problem sir, we can fix your Wifi. Just read these 800 pages of documentation and then write your own code to accomplish a task that should take 5 minutes at the most. 
Quote:And do what? Switch to Linux?

No problem sir, we can fix your Wifi. Just read these 800 pages of documentation and then write your own code to accomplish a task that should take 5 minutes at the most. 

Yea it's better to google search for several hours.  Try endless amounts of suggestions where none of them work including the company that made the operating system whose only solution to any problem is to reboot the operating system.  And then out of desperation post your issue on a NFL FAN FORUM.  Try more suggestions, none of which work.  And then add to that the knowledge, that when you do fix the problem, the company that makes the operating system will just break it again with another forced update, and the process continues.

Honestly the worst that will happen on Linux is I need to reinstall or change distros, which takes like 20 minutes and almost no effort.  You  also can boot into any distro live without installing it to make sure it will work.      
Pages: 1 2