Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hello from a Seahawks fan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello, Jaguars fans. I don't know what are the rules here for fans of other teams, but I'm coming here in good mode and hope to have a good conversation with you.

First, I'd like to congratulate your team for 3 wins in a row, and 4 out of last 5 and being the "hottest team" in AFC. I think you will also win next two, maybe all three. Pretty impressive after a bad start to the season. I must admit, I don't know much about your team, but I know Gus (he's one of the reasons, why I'm here), I also always liked MJD and Blackmon (I hope he can stay out of troubles in the future) too last season, mostly for fantasy football reasons. Of course I also know some of the players, who were on our roster last season or in preseason like W.Blackmon, Lotulelei, Guy (Maybe I forgot someone). BTW, what are your thoughts about them? Are they playing good?

Honestly, I didn't always like Gus's playcalling as a DC and partially blame him for a loss in Atlanta in playoff game last year because of his "soft zone" defense in last 0:30 of the game. But other than that, he is a great guy and although Pete Carroll has the final word on defensive side, I strongly believe Gus has a big input in turning one of the league worst defenses to top 5 (or maybe even the best) defense in 1,5-2 years. Carroll always tought highly about Bradley and he was the only coach Carroll keep (on Monte Kiffin advice) from previous Mora regime, when he take over in 2010.

I always respect and like him as a coach and a person and wish him all the best, but was a bit surprised when he takes this job, because I think he could stay a year longer (maybe win a SB) and get an opportunity in a better situated team, but luckily for you he decides to go to Jacksonville. Nobody can guarantee a success in the league like NFL and it will take a time, but I strongly believe, Gus is the right man to turn your franchise destiny around.

And seeing some of the "condensed games" highlights over the last few games, I believe Bradley is starting to build something positive in Jacksonville and I see much similarities to our situation in Seattle 4 years ago. I don't know exactly what he says in his first press conference, but probably one of his words was "building through the draft". I was thinking about that and in Carroll's first draft in 2010 we take LT Okung and Earl Thomas (who is now for me the best safety in the league) in 1st round (thanks to Dallas we had two 1st round picks that year and that is one of the best things our former GM did). Sounds familiar? Smile

There are also similarities in big number of transactions of "street free agents" as I called them. Leave no rock unturned, when you try to find a way to get your team better. Mostly cheap players, who will probably only stick around for a year or two, until better/younger players are drafted, but also always looking for diamond in the rough. As I already mentioned, you also take some of the players we cut and I believe Gus will try to take more in the future, but as you get better, there will be other teams in front of you on the waiver list. We now only have 4 players on the roster, who were there in year 2010, one of them is a punter. It's possible, Gus will do something very similar in next 3-4 years, if he stays that long (I believe, he will).

I've seen a thread about "tanking the season" and respect different opinions, but believe the only way to get better is to win games on Sunday. Bradley is Carroll's disciple and you probably already heard him talk about "Always compete" and "Win forever". It's important to create a winning culture in the organization and you can't do that when losing. We've been through something similar in Carroll's first year, when some fans wanted to tank the season (although in a bad NFC West that season we were still in a playoff race), so we could have better draft position to draft a "QB of the future". We had Hasselbeck back then, who had some good moments in 2010, but was on the end of his (effective) career as a starting QB. Last regular season game against the Rams had a playoff indication (NFC West was pretty bad that year) and we won with Charlie Whitehurst at QB (most of you probably don't know him), as Hasselbeck was injured. If we loose that game, we'd probably have No. 8 pick and could draft QB (maybe Gabbert, who our GM Schneider was apparently very high on - I believe he's the best GM in the league, but he would miss very badly on that one; or Locker, Ponder, maybe Watt, if we wouldn't draft a QB, I don't know), but we won and drafted at No.25. And the rest is a history. As a 7-9 team we hosted reigning champions Saints in wildcard game and beat them. I still believe Lynch's "beastquake" run was the most defining moment of our current team. After that game, fans and players started to believe, everything is possible. We still needed to wait for about one more year to find our QB, but it was well worth it. You don't always need to draft with 1st pick (or even first round) to find a good QB.

Probably I talk a bit too much about Seahawks, but I just want to remind you, that sometimes you need to be patient and of course, you need a bit of luck. We had it last year in the 3rd round. But there is also a lot of hard work in there from everyone inside the organisation. I believe Gus is a hardworker and will get the job done for you. I don't know much about his working relationship with your GM, but I hope it's good. That's a key to succes IMO.

I believe the worst part of "journey" is now behind your beloved team. It will be some up and downs through next season or two, but you will see on week to week (and then year to year) basis, how your team gets better. So just enjoy the ride and believe, that Bradley&Co. will find the right (and the best possible) QB and other missing pieces to make your team better. I will root for you because of Gus and our former players, but also, because I wish you can beat Colts in the near future on regular base. I didn't like them when Manning was there (although I respect him as one of the best QB's ever) and I don't like all those media hype around Luck nowadays (he's good, but not that good IMO).

Good luck to all of you. Wink

P.S.: I will probably stick around for a few days, if you all don't mind. I've seen some interesting debates going on and would like to learn more about your team.

Welcome to the board! And yea aside from the Teddy Bridgewater nuthuggers for the most part we're pretty excited about this teams future. 

Welcome to the board and thanks for showing some class.. Cant say that about some of the posters here, so keep your head down and arm yourself at all times.. 

Did Gus take hush money to tank the team in Seattle?  Apparently he refuses to take it here too.

Good perspective. The Hawks and Jags are definitely sharing the "get better everyday" philosophy, and surprisingly its working. Guy and Lotulelei have filled in admirably. We hope that QB in this years draft along with a few offensive and defensive pieces will build this roster to annual playoff contenders and with the downward spiral the Texans and Titans have experienced its not too far fetched.

The arrow is officially pointing up and very few can argue this.
Quote:Good perspective. The Hawks and Jags are definitely sharing the "get better everyday" philosophy, and surprisingly its working. Guy and Lotulelei have filled in admirably. We hope that QB in this years draft along with a few offensive and defensive pieces will build this roster to annual playoff contenders and with the downward spiral the Texans and Titans have experienced its not too far fetched.

The arrow is officially pointing up and very few can argue this.
"Not so fast my friend"...  

Eeyore and his Pooh play army lurks.. 
Just got more excited about this team.
Thanks, guys

Quote:Did Gus take hush money to tank the team in Seattle?  Apparently he refuses to take it here too.

Don't think he has that much to say in Seattle. Smile

If you can't find another QB, we can get you Tarvaris Jackson. He could be good fill in for a year or two. Smile

Have you guys had any bust picks within the last 3 years?
So you're saying we will make the playoffs at 7-9? Win a wild card game, and mojo will have a beast mode run? Sign me up please!

As a jags fan i will say anytime.your.team drops a player, we will gladly take them. that is all
Thank you for joining the board, Sea. With a post like that, I welcome you to stay for more than a few days. But why weren't you here before our Week 3 game?

I have one complaint about Gus Bradley: how long it took him to realize Chad Henne is not as bad as Blaine Gabbert. He did not bench Gabbert until after the blowout by San Diego - before then his injuries were why Henne started. But I knew it was only a matter of time before he realized #11 should stay on the bench even when healthy - how could he not? I also was not happy with the fourth down play calls in the red zone, but totally understand why he wanted to go for it instead of send out Josh Scobee.

We are all loving Will Blackmon. His game-winning touchdown at Tennessee was nominated as a Never Say Never Moment of the Week and many of us were confident in his chances. That was one of the best plays by any Jaguar this season (the other being MLB Paul Posluszny's pick 6 in Denver). When I saw that I thought, "Even without Justin, Blackmon scored a touchdown." I already knew before that he was a great pickup in free agency. Why didn't the Seahawks want to keep him?

Lotulelei is a backup and has not played a down yet. I don't even know what his number is. Can you tell us something we should know about him?

I also want to know what the Seahawks were thinking when they decided to cut DT D'Anthony Smith before he had a chance to play. Was that to avoid losing a draft pick, which would have been a seventh rounder? I can't think of any other reason they would do that to a traded player.

Quote:So you're saying we will make the playoffs at 7-9? Win a wild card game, and mojo will have a beast mode run? Sign me up please!

Everything is possible. Smile

Quote:Have you guys had any bust picks within the last 3 years?

Of course. Smile 2011 3rd rd. guard John Moffitt was traded to Denver this season and then he retired, because he didn't want to play football anymore. He's the biggest bust IMO. He is a funny guy, though and I still like him.

2013 draft is still to early to judge, most of them don't play (some are on IR), because we have too much depth. But they'll get chance next season.

Thanks for coming on SeaSea. Hopefully we can have a franchise signal caller like Russel Wilson in the next year and we can be as good as you guys  Tongue

Gus is def a awesome coach and is really trying to bring some of the mindset that he learned in Seattle. As long as he can keep developing some of the younger guys we may have a shot to be dangerous in a couple years. 

Even though you guys spanked us earlier this year I'll be cheering for you guys in the NFC. Take care man.

By the way what positions do you think the Seahawks might go in the draft next year? WR? O-Line? . LB? You guys seem pretty well off everywhere. Hopefully you can part with more guys like will blackmon-caliber and we can sign them up for depth haha

David Fales could be our Russell Wilson!

Quote:Thanks, guys

Don't think he has that much to say in Seattle.

If you can't find another QB, we can get you Tarvaris Jackson. He could be good fill in for a year or two.

You can keep Jackson. Nothing short of a draft pick will make Jaguars fans happy.

BTW I totally agree with you tanking is a horrible idea and have been trying to tell people that.

Quote:Thank you for joining the board, Sea. With a post like that, I welcome you to stay for more than a few days. But why weren't you here before our Week 3 game?

I have one complaint about Gus Bradley: how long it took him to realize Chad Henne is not as bad as Blaine Gabbert. He did not bench Gabbert until after the blowout by San Diego - before then his injuries were why Henne started. But I knew it was only a matter of time before he realized #11 should stay on the bench even when healthy - how could he not? I also was not happy with the fourth down play calls in the red zone, but totally understand why he wanted to go for it instead of send out Josh Scobee.

We are all loving Will Blackmon. His game-winning touchdown at Tennessee was nominated as a Never Say Never Moment of the Week and many of us were confident in his chances. That was one of the best plays by any Jaguar this season (the other being MLB Paul Posluszny's pick 6 in Denver). When I saw that I thought, "Even without Justin, Blackmon scored a touchdown." I already knew before that he was a great pickup in free agency. Why didn't the Seahawks want to keep him?

Lotulelei is a backup and has not played a down yet. I don't even know what his number is. Can you tell us something we should know about him?

I also want to know what the Seahawks were thinking when they decided to cut DT D'Anthony Smith before he had a chance to play. Was that to avoid losing a draft pick, which would have been a seventh rounder? I can't think of any other reason they would do that to a traded player.

Is Gus calling plays on defense?

I like Blackmon too, but we have to many players in secondary and someone has to go, so we keep younger players with more potential. We could use him now with injuries/suspensions from Browner and Thurmond, although Maxwell and Lane played great against Saints.

Lotulelei was a star of training camp. We paid him $25.000 (highest signing bonus for any UDFA) so they must expect something from him, but later he dissapointed and we keep Mayowa (who was only active in two games). From what I have seen in preseason, Lotulelei is quick, but still very raw. He's cousin of Panthers DT Star Lotulelei BTW. Don't think he will be that good, but could be a solid player.

I don't remember seeing Smith playing in preseason. Maybe he played a few snaps in last preseason game. Don't think they released him to avoid losing a draft pick. If they think, he's good enough to be on 53-roster, he would be there. I've checked and he was released by us, then signed and released by Detroit and now he's back on our PS. But he could be released anyday, as we constantly rotate PS. If you want him, can also sign him from PS. 
Quote:Is Gus calling plays on defense?

I like Blackmon too, but we have to many players in secondary and someone has to go, so we keep younger players with more potential. We could use him now with injuries/suspensions from Browner and Thurmond, although Maxwell and Lane played great against Saints.

Lotulelei was a star of training camp. We paid him $25.000 (highest signing bonus for any UDFA) so they must expect something from him, but later he dissapointed and we keep Mayowa (who was only active in two games). From what I have seen in preseason, Lotulelei is quick, but still very raw. He's cousin of Panthers DT Star Lotulelei BTW. Don't think he will be that good, but could be a solid player.

I don't remember seeing Smith playing in preseason. Maybe he played a few snaps in last preseason game. Don't think they released him to avoid losing a draft pick. If they think, he's good enough to be on 53-roster, he would be there. I've checked and he was released by us, then signed and released by Detroit and now he's back on our PS. But he could be released anyday, as we constantly rotate PS. If you want him, can also sign him from PS. 

Gus hired a DC from Chicago - Bob Babich IIRC. But he decided to install the hybrid defense where we sometimes play the 3-4 instead of our base 4-3 formation. I think I understand this correctly: a Leo player is someone who plays both DE and OLB, depending on the formation, right? That is a new thing in Jacksonville.

Smith was in Jacksonville during preseason. Jaguars GM David Caldwell traded him to Seattle before the deadline for a conditional pick.

Thanks for the update. I wondered what happened to him after he was cut by the Lions.

Quote:Thanks for coming on SeaSea. Hopefully we can have a franchise signal caller like Russel Wilson in the next year and we can be as good as you guys  Tongue

Gus is def a awesome coach and is really trying to bring some of the mindset that he learned in Seattle. As long as he can keep developing some of the younger guys we may have a shot to be dangerous in a couple years. 

Even though you guys spanked us earlier this year I'll be cheering for you guys in the NFC. Take care man.

By the way what positions do you think the Seahawks might go in the draft next year? WR? O-Line? . LB? You guys seem pretty well off everywhere. Hopefully you can part with more guys like will blackmon-caliber and we can sign them up for depth haha

Thanks. Just curios, who are you rooting for in AFC to go in SB? And who you think will go?

Probably O-line and WR. I can see Rice geting restructured his contract or released. We can't pay two $11M WR in run first offense. He's also injury prone and I'd rather resign Tate and Baldwin, who are more productive and healthy. So maybe you get Rice next year. Smile Don't believe, WR is one of your priorities, though.

Quote:You can keep Jackson. Nothing short of a draft pick will make Jaguars fans happy.

BTW I totally agree with you tanking is a horrible idea and have been trying to tell people that.

I was kidding about Jackson. He's not a starter material, but one of the best backups in the league. Doubt, he'll resign with us. We need to spare some money this year, as we have some important free agents over next few years. 

Tanking is for fans. Players and coaches don't do that, as they only risk their jobs. At least I believe so.
Quote:Gus hired a DC from Chicago - Bob Babich IIRC. But he decided to install the hybrid defense where we sometimes play the 3-4 instead of our base 4-3 formation. I think I understand this correctly: a Leo player is someone who plays both DE and OLB, depending on the formation, right? That is a new thing in Jacksonville.

Smith was in Jacksonville during preseason. Jaguars GM David Caldwell traded him to Seattle before the deadline for a conditional pick.

Thanks for the update. I wondered what happened to him after he was cut by the Lions.

LEO is a pass rusher, they probably use the quickest DE/OLB there
Pages: 1 2 3