Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hottest Team in the AFC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It was announced on TNF that the Jaguars are presently the hottest team in the AFC with the longest winning streak.

WOW

It's been a really crazy season.  The Jags went from 0-8 to 4-1 after the bye.  PPG, created turnovers, and the running game have dramatically increased.  It's very promising to see the young players making some players.  Sanders is going to be a weapon along with the secondary is going to be very good.

Winning fixes everything

I am absolutely loving what's happening. I haven't felt this way in a long time. I really believe Caldwell knows what he is doing. Bringing energy and swag to the team. His biggest mission, however, is to find THE QB. If he does this then watch out!
Quote:It was announced on TNF that the Jaguars are presently the hottest team in the AFC with the longest winning streak.

WOW

It's been a really crazy season.  The Jags went from 0-8 to 4-1 after the bye.  PPG, created turnovers, and the running game have dramatically increased.  It's very promising to see the young players making some players.  Sanders is going to be a weapon along with the secondary is going to be very good.

Winning fixes everything

I agree with most of the sentiment....but "the secondary is going to be very good"?....lolz, considering what we have seen this year I have no idea what on earth gives you that idea. Sounds like quite a leap. 
Quote:I agree with most of the sentiment....but "the secondary is going to be very good"?....lolz, considering what we have seen this year I have no idea what on earth gives you that idea. Sounds like quite a leap. 

Quote:I agree with most of the sentiment....but "the secondary is going to be very good"?....lolz, considering what we have seen this year I have no idea what on earth gives you that idea. Sounds like quite a leap. 
Cyprien and Gratz have been impressive and haven't completely gotten destroyed like most rookies would. Alan Ball (imo) has played really solid, Winston Guy gives the defense character with his hits, and Josh Evans should be improved next season. They're a young Secondary, no reason why they can't become great like Seattle's. 
Quote:Cyprien and Gratz have been impressive and haven't completely gotten destroyed like most rookies would. Alan Ball (imo) has played really solid, Winston Guy gives the defense character with his hits, and Josh Evans should be improved next season. They're a young Secondary, no reason why they can't become great like Seattle's. 

Why would most rookies be getting destroyed? Rashean Mathis played well as a rookie. Eric Allen played well as a rookie. If you're a good player, you're a good player. Not every rookie has to struggle just because they are a rookie. Cyprien and Gratz have not been very good in coverage this season. QB like Carson Palmer and Brandon stinking Weeden racked up monster games against the secondary....

They may indeed get better and be great one day, but they have shown little for someone to specifically cite them out and make a definitive statement that they will be very good. 
Quote:Why would most rookies be getting destroyed? Rashean Mathis played well as a rookie. Eric Allen played well as a rookie. If you're a good player, you're a good player. Not every rookie has to struggle just because they are a rookie. Cyprien and Gratz have not been very good in coverage this season. QB like Carson Palmer and Brandon stinking Weeden racked up monster games against the secondary....

They may indeed get better and be great one day, but they have shown little for someone to specifically cite them out and make a definitive statement that they will be very good. 

Considering our pass rush the secondary has played very well.

You just can't sit back and enjoy it all for a few minutes, can you? :teehee:
Quote:Why would most rookies be getting destroyed? Rashean Mathis played well as a rookie. Eric Allen played well as a rookie. If you're a good player, you're a good player. Not every rookie has to struggle just because they are a rookie. Cyprien and Gratz have not been very good in coverage this season. QB like Carson Palmer and Brandon stinking Weeden racked up monster games against the secondary....

I have to side with TMD on this. Why would you be glad just because a player isn't getting destroyed? You should be glad if a player is playing well and our rookies havent really done that. They are improving though so that's a positive.
Quote:You just can't sit back and enjoy it all for a few minutes, can you? :teehee:

Not when the OP says a baseless comment. No. 
They give up yards but they get turnovers.. it's an aggressive scheme, stop complaining.. they are the reason we're winning. 

Quote:They give up yards but they get turnovers.. it's an aggressive scheme, 

Oh, I didn't realize those 2 things were mutually exclusive. Someone better tell Buddy Ryan that aggressive defenses that force turnovers MUST give up yards.... :whistling: 
1.  This is a very young secondary that needs experience

2. This team has no pass rusher

3. Each rookie has made dramatic plays including free agent signing Will Blackmon
Quote:Not when the OP says a baseless comment. No. 
It's only baseless if you don't get it
Quote:Cyprien and Gratz have been impressive and haven't completely gotten destroyed like most rookies would. Alan Ball (imo) has played really solid, Winston Guy gives the defense character with his hits, and Josh Evans should be improved next season. They're a young Secondary, no reason why they can't become great like Seattle's. 
They've been toasted too many times. Cyp just doesn't know any better, and there's no leadership or coaching to teach him. I guess the level of play is secondary to actually playing. Gratz has already lost time due to injury. Lots of us are wondering if he's Derek Cox 2.0

Evans is looking like he's a personal foul away from being benched. Unfortunately, the bench can't cover his absence.

They will look a lot better with a pass rush, but I don't think we have any elite players back there like a Champ Bailey, for example. 

What I would say about the secondary is that they are not currently a priority.   As a unit, they are better than most of our other positions.   With the caveat that every part of the team should be under construction for at least several years.  

And Eric Allen and Rashean Mathis played in a defensive backfield with two other rookies and no pass rush?

You do know they started Mathis out at safety because he wasn't ready to play CB....right?
This team was making me really dread watching football. Now they've seemingly turned the corner and the games are fun to watch and like the positive media attention to the team. Everything can go back to being normal now since the team has gotten competitive and the Texans are back to being the whipping boy of the league since their implosion this year.

The secondary is young and appear to have upside, which is encouraging for a team in first year of a major rebuild. However, today, they are getting beat frequently.
Quote:You just can't sit back and enjoy it all for a few minutes, can you? :teehee:

TMD just ain't built that way. :no:

Quote:......there's no leadership or coaching to teach him. 

Before you criticize the coach you need to take a look at who he is.  And I guarantee you, after Gus pretty much cleaned house, he wouldn't still be around.

http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches/Mark...9c3d9fe995

Yeah we have young players back there, but the defense is miles ahead of where we were before the bye-week.
People finally understand what I have been saying. The defense is a lot better than people realize. It's just our offense handicapped them week in and week out.