Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 'Break up the Jaguars'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I saw this on twitter last night, and it's on various articles about last night's game. Is this phrase a reference to something? What does it mean?

Goes from an old testament preaching to prepare the soil for yielding great crops.  From Jeremiah "Break up your unplowed ground and do not sow among thorns."  So I'm betting some old school person used that to talk about a team.  I would have to Bing further to find the sport origins.

Here is what is interesting about Break Up...

1. Stumps must be removed -- Bye Bye Mike Murlarky

2. Hardness must be broken up -- set a philosophy to get rid of the old stuborn ways go go Gus

3. Larger rocks must be dislodged -- Bye Bye Gene Smith

4. Thorns must be gathered and burned -- Bye Bye dead weight players and hanger ons

Quote:Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I saw this on twitter last night, and it's on various articles about last night's game. Is this phrase a reference to something? What does it mean?

It's an old, old cliche, that is used in sports to imply that a team has an unfair advantage in personnel.   Nowadays it's a joke whenever a bad team reels off a few wins, someone says something like, "break up the [team name]! 
Quote:It's an old, old cliche, that is used in sports to imply that a team has an unfair advantage in personnel.   Nowadays it's a bad joke whenever a bad team reels off a few wins, someone says something like, "break up the [team name]! 

Fixed.