Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Last night's win, some positives, and some negatives
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At the beginning of this year, I decided to take a step back and look at the whole picture.  Not just look at the W/L column and look for actual progress or regression.  I've seen both this year but the positives have outweighed the negatives.  I think most people here would agree that we need a QB desperately but that goes without saying.

So about last night's game.  Chad Henne showed exactly why he should be nowhere near a starting position on an NFL roster.  A couple of good throws, bailed out by two GREAT catches (Shorts in the enzone, and Marcedes' 40+ yarder was probably the best catch of anybody on our team this year), then totally fell flat on his face at the end.  Couldn't muster a 1st down in the second half to save his life or the game.  The only thing consistent about his throws are how inaccurate they are.  I saw at least 7 throws in the second half that if they were more accurate would have been at least 8 yard gains.  He simply doesn't have the accuracy to operate in the offense that Jedd is running.  He's been bailed out by lackluster opponents making major mistakes (DJ Swearinger), and a defense that has had the lucky balls going their way the past few weeks.  Last night's win felt good.  I love sweeping the Texans.  But the game left me with, once again, a bad taste in my mouth in regards to our embarrassing QB situation.

Since our bye week we're 4-1.  That's a great thing.  We have the longest winning streak in the AFC right now.  But I look at it and I see one of the easiest ending schedules in the NFL.  We barely were able to beat the Titans.  We got handled by the cardinals.  Then we put up 13 points on a team that has had the worst fall of any team in the league this year.  Then we beat the Browns who are the freaking browns.  Then we beat the same team still on the same downward spiral that we beat a week and a half earlier.  I'm not saying that the winning streak and record after the bye doesn't mean anything.  I'm simply saying that it should be taken into context that the teams we're beating are teams that are not good.  And while we're beating them, we're barely beating them.  Not only that, but they're still putting up some good numbers on our defense.  If I've learned anything from the NFL it's that the numbers can be severely skewed for defenses that get the lucky breaks one year but don't get them the next.  Green Bay and Chicago are perfect examples of this.  Our defense isn't as good as we think it is right now and has a long way to go.  My hope is that the young secondary can continue to get better.  But seriously, we STILL have serious issues against other teams' Tight Ends.  That never ceases to make me mad.

I love this team.  I've loved them since the first game in 95 when I was 10 years old so don't get this twisted.  I simply want to look at this objectively.  We still desperately need a QB.  We still need a DE who can get home.  Branch can only get there if he's stunted inside and Babin is simply not good enough to get consistent pressure.  Marks is a keeper but he's the only one that I would be angry if he wasn't here next year.  MJD is done in Duval after this year and it makes me almost as sad as when Freddy left.  He had his first 100 yard game last night thanks to probably the best block of Will Rackley's season.  But he simply isn't that good anymore.  Most of the time he's hit within 2 yards because he can't consistently cutback to the hole and just decides to pound his way forward.  I like what I see from Todman so far, but I think it's pretty clear a RB is going to be brought in probably from the draft along with Oline, Dline, and QB.

So enjoy the wins we've gotten and any others we get along the way.  We haven't had reason to be excited in a while.  As they say, the arrow is pointing way up.  I think we have our coach for the future, and pending the offseason I think we have the GM of the future as well.  Just don't think the team is better than it is because we beat bad teams.

Please Caldwell get us a good QB.  I'm begging you.  With a good QB we'd be in every game we've had this year.  With a good QB and development of our current rookies, we seriously can look at the playoffs as a serious goal next year.  Just please get us the QB.

I love the Jags.  Have a good day.  Thanks for reading if you made it this far.  If not, it's ok.  I understand it was long winded.

TLDR: Just my opinions, take them for what you will.

I think we can all agree that this team still has a lot of holes. The excitement is about the coach. It is clear we finally have a great head coach. Gus Bradley is getting more out of these guys than I think any coach could in the entire league, and that is exciting. Now will see if Caldwell is up to Bradley's level or if he is going to be another Gene/Shack. 

You're not wrong about any of this.

The Jaguars are winning right now in spite of their QB, which isn't good. They're ruining their draft position on the tail end of a lost season.

However, if Caldwell is really as good of a GM as he's supposed to be then he'll find the Nick Foles/Russell Wilson in the draft and we'll be fine.

Someone didnt see mojos post game on nfl network

He said he wants to be here. The grass aint always greener. And that they talked already and decided to wait til after the season.

Mojo is the only one near face of the franchise. We wont let him go and he WILL be loyal.
Quote:Someone didnt see mojos post game on nfl network

He said he wants to be here. The grass aint always greener. And that they talked already and decided to wait til after the season.

Mojo is the only one near face of the franchise. We wont let him go and he WILL be loyal.

I'm not going to look at this situation through teal colored glasses.  Simple fact, Mojo hasn't been anything spectacular this year.  He's started to do a few nice things now that the offense is starting to pick up some.  But as far as running the ball is concerned, I've been uninspired by him.  He's getting old, he's had knee surgeries and lis franc surgery last year.  He can't cut anything like he used to.  He doesn't have the speed he used to have.  He doesn't hit the holes like he did.  You don't regain what you were after those kinds of problems.  Honestly, I don't think he's going to want to stay for the kind of money he'll be offered.  At the end of the day, it's about the money.  I don't bash them for it.

He said he wants to be here because that's what he's supposed to say.  If he said last night that he's excited to see what the free agent market would do for him then the lockerroom would explode and media would be jumping all over the team in an already worse way than they do.  He is a pro.  He knows what to say and how to say it.  I've never faulted him for it.  But you're just being a child if you don't think it's about the money.

Jaguars are winning because Gabbert is a good cheerleader on the sidelines.

This team will always have holes and yes, while you stated, we have played some weak teams, a W is a W. If I was to tell you that the Texans would go toe to toe with N.E. last week, would you believe me? No. They are on a downward spiral and not much they can do about it at this point. They have some really good players but every team goes through one of those seasons. 

The team's coaches, GM, Owner should know that Henne is not the answer at all but a serviceable back up, that is it. I know we are hurting our draft position with winning but still, we can still get a decent QB. I would like to know if there are any decent veteran QBs that will be on the market. I really dont know who to draft as a QB out of this class. If Aaron Murray was healthy, I would of went with him but he is out for a while and will take some time healing. 

MJD hasent been explosive recently because he is on a awful team who cant block very well and the offensive play calling was horrible. This year the offensive play calling hasent been too bad and now, all we need to man the ship is a reliable QB. MJD is worth keeping, we'll make it work out. He has been the face of Jacksonville for years. He has has his up and downs but he is a great player and always though. Once the offensive line starts coming together again, get a decent QB and so on, MJD will return to his old form

I dont think there can be any question the most improved unit is the run defense. We went from last place to a top 10 against the run since the bye week.

Next would be secondary, then o-line.

Positives:

MJD looked explosive once again.

Cecil abused Jonathan Joseph all game drawing PIs.

Finding more ways for Ace to get involved is good.

Run D stepped up again.

OL looked good.

Negatives:

Chad Henne is bad.

The pass D wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either.

Still can't cover the middle of the field.

Not a whole lot of pass rush.

What to work on:

We've got to get both phases of the defense to play well at the same time. It's either one or the other. Pass rush needs to be better still. Branch and Ryan Davis are bright spots currently. The Offense has to keep getting creative, it's working so far.

Take note of Chad Henne. What you see in him is exactly what the offensive coordinator is capable of doing for any quarterback.

Chad has a good arm. He was forced to run in order to erase bad play-calling, not bad blocking last night. Some of Henne's numbers indicate he is capable of producing at very high levels during periods of the game. His numbers don't lie. Nothing is being done to correct what's going wrong in say the second and fourth quarters.

Many of the three and outs are directly the fault of Fisch. He is NOT instructing the WRs to get past the first down marker. This is basic NFL coaching stuff.

The trick is to diagnose what is going wrong and fix it. Fisch is failing on basic NFL coaching levels.

P.S. on last night.

I was crying so hard at the NFL Network's half-time show. It was a laugh-riot watching Rich, Deion, and Michael fighting their way through Khan's ridiculously over-the-top fireworks campaign.

It looked like the NFL Network half-time show was being presented in downtown Baghdad during a US military "tomahawk" attack.

SHOCK AND AWE, baby!

Quote:Take note of Chad Henne. What you see in him is exactly what the offensive coordinator is capable of doing for any quarterback.

Chad has a good arm. He was forced to run in order to erase bad play-calling, not bad blocking last night. Some of Henne's numbers indicate he is capable of producing at very high levels during periods of the game. His numbers don't lie. Nothing is being done to correct what's going wrong in say the second and fourth quarters.

Many of the three and outs are directly the fault of Fisch. He is NOT instructing the WRs to get past the first down marker. This is basic NFL coaching stuff.

The trick is to diagnose what is going wrong and fix it. Fisch is failing on basic NFL coaching levels.

Quote:P.S. on last night.

I was crying so hard at the NFL Network's half-time show. It was a laugh-riot watching Rich, Deion, and Michael fighting their way through Khan's ridiculously over-the-top fireworks campaign.

It looked like the NFL Network half-time show was being presented in downtown Baghdad during a US military "tomahawk" attack.

SHOCK AND AWE, baby!

I hope to God that you're just trolling and aren't really this stupid.
Quote:Take note of Chad Henne. What you see in him is exactly what the offensive coordinator is capable of doing for any quarterback.

Just when I thought you couldn't be any dumber...
Quote:I hope to God that you're just trolling and aren't really this stupid.

He is either serious about trolling or off his meds
Quote:At the beginning of this year, I decided to take a step back and look at the whole picture.  Not just look at the W/L column and look for actual progress or regression.  I've seen both this year but the positives have outweighed the negatives.  I think most people here would agree that we need a QB desperately but that goes without saying.

So about last night's game.  Chad Henne showed exactly why he should be nowhere near a starting position on an NFL roster.  A couple of good throws, bailed out by two GREAT catches (Shorts in the enzone, and Marcedes' 40+ yarder was probably the best catch of anybody on our team this year), then totally fell flat on his face at the end.  Couldn't muster a 1st down in the second half to save his life or the game.  The only thing consistent about his throws are how inaccurate they are.  I saw at least 7 throws in the second half that if they were more accurate would have been at least 8 yard gains.  He simply doesn't have the accuracy to operate in the offense that Jedd is running.  He's been bailed out by lackluster opponents making major mistakes (DJ Swearinger), and a defense that has had the lucky balls going their way the past few weeks.  Last night's win felt good.  I love sweeping the Texans.  But the game left me with, once again, a bad taste in my mouth in regards to our embarrassing QB situation.

Since our bye week we're 4-1.  That's a great thing.  We have the longest winning streak in the AFC right now.  But I look at it and I see one of the easiest ending schedules in the NFL.  We barely were able to beat the Titans.  We got handled by the cardinals.  Then we put up 13 points on a team that has had the worst fall of any team in the league this year.  Then we beat the Browns who are the freaking browns.  Then we beat the same team still on the same downward spiral that we beat a week and a half earlier.  I'm not saying that the winning streak and record after the bye doesn't mean anything.  I'm simply saying that it should be taken into context that the teams we're beating are teams that are not good.  And while we're beating them, we're barely beating them.  Not only that, but they're still putting up some good numbers on our defense.  If I've learned anything from the NFL it's that the numbers can be severely skewed for defenses that get the lucky breaks one year but don't get them the next.  Green Bay and Chicago are perfect examples of this.  Our defense isn't as good as we think it is right now and has a long way to go.  My hope is that the young secondary can continue to get better.  But seriously, we STILL have serious issues against other teams' Tight Ends.  That never ceases to make me mad.

I love this team.  I've loved them since the first game in 95 when I was 10 years old so don't get this twisted.  I simply want to look at this objectively.  We still desperately need a QB.  We still need a DE who can get home.  Branch can only get there if he's stunted inside and Babin is simply not good enough to get consistent pressure.  Marks is a keeper but he's the only one that I would be angry if he wasn't here next year.  MJD is done in Duval after this year and it makes me almost as sad as when Freddy left.  He had his first 100 yard game last night thanks to probably the best block of Will Rackley's season.  But he simply isn't that good anymore.  Most of the time he's hit within 2 yards because he can't consistently cutback to the hole and just decides to pound his way forward.  I like what I see from Todman so far, but I think it's pretty clear a RB is going to be brought in probably from the draft along with Oline, Dline, and QB.

So enjoy the wins we've gotten and any others we get along the way.  We haven't had reason to be excited in a while.  As they say, the arrow is pointing way up.  I think we have our coach for the future, and pending the offseason I think we have the GM of the future as well.  Just don't think the team is better than it is because we beat bad teams.

Please Caldwell get us a good QB.  I'm begging you.  With a good QB we'd be in every game we've had this year.  With a good QB and development of our current rookies, we seriously can look at the playoffs as a serious goal next year.  Just please get us the QB.

I love the Jags.  Have a good day.  Thanks for reading if you made it this far.  If not, it's ok.  I understand it was long winded.

TLDR: Just my opinions, take them for what you will.

I agree with you on most of this.  The main point to take away from this hot streak isn't that we are suddenly no longer a bad team.   We have the weakest roster in the league.   The main takeaway from this hot streak is that we have a head coach and a coaching staff that can keep an 0-8 team playing hard.   The way we've won lately isn't on talent; we've been winning on effort and eliminating mistakes.   The reason we've been winning is the coaching. 
I agree with a lot of the op's assessment. 

The Jags nearly gave the game away in the 4th quarter. Texans had sooo many penalties called on them and the Jags still nearly lost.

Chad Henne sucks and can only throw a hundred yards a game when he's not busy getting his balls batted down.

Defense needs to grow up. Had schaub been in the whole game, he could have easily cleared 400 yards passing on the Jags defense

I love the Jaguars, but they're a long way away from being competitive for the playoffs. I hope they continue in the right direction.

Quote:Many of the three and outs are directly the fault of Fisch. He is NOT instructing the WRs to get past the first down marker. This is basic NFL coaching stuff.

No, no no no.  I totally disagree. 

If you watch a lot of NFL games, the ball is often thrown short of the first down marker; the receiver then has to try to make a move to get the first down.    The defense usually knows where the first down marker is, so they will often let the receiver make the catch and  then try to make the tackle.   That makes it a lot easier to get open short of the first down.   That's why every team will often throw the ball short of the first down. 

Quote: 
Quote:No, no no no.  I totally disagree. 

If you watch a lot of NFL games, the ball is often thrown short of the first down marker; the receiver then has to try to make a move to get the first down.    The defense usually knows where the first down marker is, so they will often let the receiver make the catch and  then try to make the tackle.   That makes it a lot easier to get open short of the first down.   That's why every team will often throw the ball short of the first down. 

It's true. It's why teams with elite QBs have such a massive advantage. Elite QBs throw guys to the first down, guys like Gabbert and Henne throw passes that get a guy tackled where he catches it.
Quote:P.S. on last night.

SHOCK AND AWE, baby!
Seriously Henne is a good QB it's the play calling? When a receiver runs a short route he still throws in the dirt or over their heads so high that if they make the catch they are drilled on the spot. Henne is the Jekyll/Hyde of quarterbacks. He will have a good drive or two and then look like a totally different person for quarter or two. He is TERRIBLE, a below average backup who cannot be entrusted to even hold a lead if coming in off the bench. He needs to be gone after this season and finding an upgrade should be simple because again he is TERRIBLE.