Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Rookie Mini Camp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Starts this weekend. What are you looking forward to seeing?

I can't wait to see Fournette run behind Williams. Even if it is no contact
Just don't want to see someone blow a knee out or something.
Quote:Just don't want to see someone blow a knee out or something.
this
I'm looking forward to nothing about it. Pretty pointless.
I'm looking forward to seeing 4Net run, and Westbrook catch..

Nothing honestly
Want to see everyone make it out of there relatively healthy with minor setbacks if anything at the most. Player wise I am looking for some hidden gems to hopefully reveal themselves. In no particular order these are the players I'll be watching and listening up on for reports:

WR - Amba Etta-Tawo

OL - Avery Gennesy 

CB - Jalen Myrick 

FB - Marquez Williams 

I am hoping one of those four, if not, all four make the team this year. Myrick and Williams stand the best chance to make it due to being actual draft picks and adding value speed wise and position wise to the roster. But I am intrigued by Etta-Tawo and Gennesy as well. Gennesy was a decent LT in college. And helped pave the way for a very busy and explosive offense.

Etta-Tawo smashed records in receiving at Syracuse and ended up being declared as a team captain. Seems like a good kid. He isn't the biggest received but at 6'1 200+ with 4.4 speed he shows potential to be an above average possession receiver with RAC ability. He could be coached up and sneak onto the roster under the coaching of McCardell. Wouldn't shock me. 

How can we look forward to seeing anything I didn't think Rookie Minicamp was open to fans?
Quote:How can we look forward to seeing anything I didn't think Rookie Minicamp was open to fans?

That I don't know, but I live in VA anyway. They post video clips even if it's closed though
Colorado 

I'd like to see Fournette stand on the sideline cheering on his peers. Don't want to risk injury.

I look forward to reading that there were no injuries.

While I'm at it, I've been told I have "my guys." Fair enough.

So, here are my new guys (subject to change) from among the rookie UDFAs. You should soon be reading good things about them...

• TE Caleb Bluiett - my early projection has him on the PS, but I'd love to see him actually knock off both Neal Sterling and Alex Ellis as the 4th TE on the roster.

• RDE Carroll Phillips - Smoot's partner in crime against CBs. I can totally see him making the roster as the 3rd RDE with Smoot concentrating on the strong side.

• WR Kenneth Walker III - I can see him challenging Benn for his roster spot at WR. Walker is fast, and you know how I am about speed.

• CB Jeremy Cutrer - potentially a very good CB, and yet another guy like the rest who at least make the PS and just maybe make the actual roster.

Quote:I'd like to see Fournette stand on the sideline cheering on his peers. Don't want to risk injury.

We all sound like that girl from freshman year of high school who used to complain that she didn't trust guys because of her past .. let's collectively get over it, it's a non contact walk through and these are pro football players
Quote:Want to see everyone make it out of there relatively healthy with minor setbacks if anything at the most. Player wise I am looking for some hidden gems to hopefully reveal themselves. In no particular order these are the players I'll be watching and listening up on for reports:

WR - Amba Etta-Tawo

OL - Avery Gennesy 

CB - Jalen Myrick 

FB - Marquez Williams 

I think it's likely that Myrick and Williams make the 53. Gennesy is possible as well.  Though Tawo and Gennesy may end up on the PS. 

Good guys to watch for progress. 
Quote:Want to see everyone make it out of there relatively healthy with minor setbacks if anything at the most. Player wise I am looking for some hidden gems to hopefully reveal themselves. In no particular order these are the players I'll be watching and listening up on for reports:

WR - Amba Etta-Tawo

OL - Avery Gennesy 

CB - Jalen Myrick 

FB - Marquez Williams 

I am hoping one of those four, if not, all four make the team this year. Myrick and Williams stand the best chance to make it due to being actual draft picks and adding value speed wise and position wise to the roster. But I am intrigued by Etta-Tawo and Gennesy as well. Gennesy was a decent LT in college. And helped pave the way for a very busy and explosive offense.

Etta-Tawo smashed records in receiving at Syracuse and ended up being declared as a team captain. Seems like a good kid. He isn't the biggest received but at 6'1 200+ with 4.4 speed he shows potential to be an above average possession receiver with RAC ability. He could be coached up and sneak onto the roster under the coaching of McCardell. Wouldn't shock me. 

Perhaps Etta-Tawo can make the practice squad, but I don't see the team carrying more than five receivers with the the FB position added to the roster. ARob, Lee, Hurns, Westbrook, and Greene seem like locks. After that, he'd still be competing with Benn and that other shifty slot guy who used to play for the Colts (name escapes me). 
Quote:Perhaps Etta-Tawo can make the practice squad, but I don't see the team carrying more than five receivers with the the FB position added to the roster. ARob, Lee, Hurns, Westbrook, and Greene seem like locks. After that, he'd still be competing with Benn and that other shifty slot guy who used to play for the Colts (name escapes me). 

I don't think Greene makes the roster this year. Wouldn't be surprised if he's cut this pre season. Right now it seems it'll be:

1. Allen Robinson

2. Allen Hurns

3. Marquise Lee

4. DeDe Westbrook 

5. Open Competition

6. Open Competition 

I think they'll try to roll with six receivers this year and cut back on the TE position since they're maintaining a FB. Coughlin is also expecting starters to contribute on special teams more this year. So that might allow them to scale back on defensive players. 

The last two receiver spots I could see going to Brian Walters because of his ability in the slot and potentially Etta-Tawo. I think between Myrick and Westbrook they're pretty confident they don't need Greene as a special teams returner anymore. Greene hasn't really done anything to merit his roster spot the last two or three years. 
Quote:Perhaps Etta-Tawo can make the practice squad, but I don't see the team carrying more than five receivers with the the FB position added to the roster. ARob, Lee, Hurns, Westbrook, and Greene seem like locks. After that, he'd still be competing with Benn and that other shifty slot guy who used to play for the Colts (name escapes me). 

Actually, I totally see them carrying six WRs especially after considering who all is on their roster at the position. After the top five, I believe they'll carry a sixth WR who is basically a backup slot WR. The deal is, Dede is taking over the  primary slot WR role with the idea he might move to split end on occasion to give ARob a breather. However, Dede is not a true slot guy and I believe they want more of a traditional slot guy behind him.

Again, the top four are obvious with ARob, Hurns, Lee and Wesbrook. Hurns and Lee can hold down the flanker position which has me thinking the 5th guy will be a speedster who can backup outside. I've loved having Benn in this role, but I suspect the rookie Kenneth Walker III gives him a run for his money. I need to see them both, but I have the 5th spot between these two. Benn might have an advantage because he's such a big WR to do along with some decent speed, but Walker is a true 4.3 40 guy who can run circles around slower dbs. That should be a good battle. Jamal Robinson is likely also vying for this 5th spot as a split end although I just don't see him beating out Benn unless he's improved this offseason.

Now the 6th spot for that backup slot guy has some serious contenders, and it's partly because of these contenders that I do think they keep six. The odds of favorite for the spot is Bryan Walters, but he'll be challenged by Shane Wynn and Rashad Greene. I can also see Walker III in this mix if Benn wins the 5th spot.

As for the remaining WRs, I feel like Etta-Tawo is way too raw but that the Jaguars want to develop him as a jar-on-the-shelf on the Practice Squad. I can also see them carrying a second practice squad WR likely to come down to Keelan Cole or PInkard. Cole would fit the flanker role best behind Hurns and Lee.

I'm wondering if Brandon Allen will be at the minicamp. I distinctly recall Coach Marrone saying he had 4 first year players available to him for the minicamp. There are five first year players on the roster...

• QB Brandon Allen

• WR Jamal Robison

• WR Larry Pinkard

• G Nila Kasitati

• DE Jonathan Woodard

Now it doesn't look like Robinson, Pinkard or Kasitati have had any action so they're likely three of the four. Allen I'm thinking might be the forth since he was inactive in every game last year. That leaves Woodard who was on IR all of last year, but I'm thinking being on IR might count as games accrued.

Quote:Colorado

Ayyyo, welcome!!
Quote:I'm wondering if Brandon Allen will be at the minicamp. I distinctly recall Coach Marrone saying he had 4 first year players available to him for the minicamp. There are five first year players on the roster...

• QB Brandon Allen
  • WR Jamal Robison
  • WR Larry Pinkard
  • G Nila Kasitati
  • DE Jonathan Woodard

Now it doesn't look like Robinson, Pinkard or Kasitati have had any action so they're likely three of the four. Allen I'm thinking might be the forth since he was inactive in every game last year. That leaves Woodard who was on IR all of last year, but I'm thinking being on IR might count as games accrued.

I would think Allen counts because he was on the 53 unlike Woodard
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5