Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Never Give Up On Anything
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read an article on NFL.COM earlier that pretty much irritated me.  I hear some fans talk about it on the regular as well.  The article talked about why winning tonight basically means nothing only a smaller chance at "scoring" the #1 pick in 2014.

Can you imagine a locker room where the front office sent out the message of, "Try hard today, but not enough to win.  We need you all to throw the game so we can bring the savior of this franchise in to put us back in the right direction!" 

The NFL is BIG on the character of the players, especially the new ones coming from college each year.  What would it say about a man's character who gave up that easy, or didn't have the integrity to try their hardest even when it might not count "as much"? 

Everything happens for a reason.  History will be the first to tell us that having the #1 pick isn't always going to work out that way "it should".   Scouting and drafting talent is probably the most difficult job within a sports organization.  You never truly know how someone will play at this level.  It's just a different game.  The position we are in when our name is on the board in the next year's draft, will be whatever it is.  You don't give up just because you have no shot to make the playoffs.  There is plenty of talent to go around.  Just because you think Bridgewater is the next guy doesn't mean he will be.  People who scout professionally don't even hit everytime.  Watching youtube videos and reading reports don't show you enough to determine a man's capability at the professional level.  So people need to refrain from telling the Jaguars what they "need to do".  They know what we need to do, and that's win.  Even when you've got nothing to play for so to speak.

That's the logical way of thinking about it, but it wouldn't be the coaches telling the players anything like that. It would just be the coordinators/coaches having poor play calling in certain situations, subbing certain players out, and overall a vanilla game-plan.

I personally got a kick  out of hearing two different talking heads (NFL network an ESPN)  both comment that despite adversity, the tinhorns players have not "lied down."  

LOL.  Ummm, neither have the Jaguars and their adversity started two full years prior to the tinhorns'. 

This probably could have just gone into one of the may threads about tanking vs not tanking.

Once again, when discussing the idea of tanking, nobody wants the players or coaches to intentionally lose.  There is just a faction of fans (and now media) who believe that losing now is better for the team in the long run.

Quote:This probably could have just gone into one of the may threads about tanking vs not tanking.

Once again, when discussing the idea of tanking, nobody wants the players or coaches to intentionally lose.  There is just a fraction of fans (and now media) who believe that losing now is better for the team in the long run.

Coming to this board every day makes me think that fraction is more than half. It has been extremely difficult for me to convince others we need to win, not lose, to really get better.