Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dec 5, 1933: Prohibition ends
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dec 5, 1933:

Prohibition ends

The 21st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is ratified, repealing the 18th Amendment and bringing an end to the era of national prohibition of alcohol in America. At 5:32 p.m. EST, Utah became the 36th state to ratify the amendment, achieving the requisite three-fourths majority of states' approval. Pennsylvania and Ohio had ratified it earlier in the day.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-histo...ition-ends

Quote: 

<div>Dec 5, 1933: Prohibition ends

The 21st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is ratified, repealing the 18th Amendment and bringing an end to the era of national prohibition of alcohol in America. At 5:32 p.m. EST, Utah became the 36th state to ratify the amendment, achieving the requisite three-fourths majority of states' approval. Pennsylvania and Ohio had ratified it earlier in the day.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-histo...ition-ends

</div>

Prohibition did a lot of damage to this country.    It led to organized crime, for one thing. 
Can't wait until our "Leaders", recognize that prohibition of anything causes more damage than it prevents. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Quote:Can't wait until our "Leaders", recognize that prohibition of anything causes more damage than it prevents. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Just go smoke your bowl and chill out. :teehee:
Quote:Can't wait until our "Leaders", recognize that prohibition of anything causes more damage than it prevents. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

So, you want a world where nothing is restricted, nothing is regulated. Have fun in your anarchy that will more than likely result in your death in some way. Regulation and restriction is a necessity.
Quote:So, you want a world where nothing is restricted, nothing is regulated. Have fun in your anarchy that will more than likely result in your death in some way. Regulation and restriction is a necessity.

one day, you'll realize the danger and error in this thought.

I'm agreeing with tommy..............looking for falling pieces of the sky?????? what is going on ?!?!?!?

Quote:Prohibition did a lot of damage to this country.    It led to organized crime, for one thing. 
And...? Where's your proof/ evidence to support your claim?

Long live Anarchism.

Quote:Just go smoke your bowl and chill out. :teehee:
This isn't the 70's anymore. Man.

Quote:So, you want a world where nothing is restricted, nothing is regulated. Have fun in your anarchy that will more than likely result in your death in some way. Regulation and restriction is a necessity.
Is regulation and restriction truly a necessity in life? Or are you saying this because you are afraid to live outside of your own shell?

Quote:I'm agreeing with tommy..............looking for falling pieces of the sky?????? what is going on ?!?!?!?

So open and legal production, sale, and use of heroin sounds like a good idea to you? I had you pegged as smarter than that.
Quote:And...? Where's your proof/ evidence to support your claim?

Long live Anarchism.

This isn't the 70's anymore. Man.

Is regulation and restriction truly a necessity in life? Or are you saying this simply because you are afraid to live outside of your own shell?

I'm not picking anyone's side by saying who's right and who's wrong, I'm just trying to spur a greater discussion about the things that go beyond simple regulation and necessity, with that of the establishment.

Regulation and restriction is a necessity to human life as we know it. Without those two things the world lives in anarchy which makes society impossible.

+1 for stirring the pot though, debate/discussion is awesome.
Quote:So open and legal production, sale, and use of heroin sounds like a good idea to you? I had you pegged as smarter than that.

I didn't say that, I do however support a free market deciding what's tolerably and what's not over a selected minority in a distant office passing laws. I'm not an anarchist but I also don't subscribe to the notion we need regulations and restrictions to prevent people from doing bad things.

As an employer I don't want my employees on heroin, as a landlord I wouldn't allow my tenants to use heroin, as a bank I wouldn't lend money to people that used heroin. A removal of restrictions and regulations would also be a removing of publicly funded programs that allow individuals making poor to destructive choices to survive in society.

there's some merit to what Tommy's saying I don't know if he realizes the full implications of it, but it's there.
Quote:Regulation and restriction is a necessity to human life as we know it. Without those two things the world lives in anarchy which makes society impossible.

+1 for stirring the pot though, debate/discussion is awesome.

If Regulations and restrictions keep the order, why did prohibition fail in the first place?
Quote:I didn't say that, I do however support a free market deciding what's tolerably and what's not over a selected minority in a distant office passing laws. I'm not an anarchist but I also don't subscribe to the notion we need regulations and restrictions to prevent people from doing bad things.

As an employer I don't want my employees on heroin, as a landlord I wouldn't allow my tenants to use heroin, as a bank I wouldn't lend money to people that used heroin. A removal of restrictions and regulations would also be a removing of publicly funded programs that allow individuals making poor to destructive choices to survive in society.

there's some merit to what Tommy's saying I don't know if he realizes the full implications of it, but it's there.

That's what Tommy was saying though. No prohibition of anything means open and legal, production, sale, and use of everything. That's a dangerous road. I'm not an anti-marijuana guy, btw. I just recognize that some amount of regulation and restriction is necessary for a society to exist. Without it, the world falls into anarchy.

Quote:If Regulations and restrictions keep the order, why did prohibition fail in the first place?

The use of alcohol was already engrained into the American populace and as such society. Prohibition came about because of concerns regarding excessive use of alcohol in the US. It's harder to stop people than it is to prevent them from starting. I'm not calling for the reintroduction of prohibition, I just feel that no limitations on what can be made, sold, and used is a plan destined for failure.
Quote:I didn't say that, I do however support a free market deciding what's tolerably and what's not over a selected minority in a distant office passing laws. I'm not an anarchist but I also don't subscribe to the notion we need regulations and restrictions to prevent people from doing bad things.

You say this now but what happens if your kids become wrapped up in that kind of world? You can bet your life you'd wish they wouldn't have had access to it then.

Now normally I'm not one for government intervention/regulation and I am completely in favor of legalizing marijuana (even though I don't smoke), but some things just make sense. Keeping things such as heroin, crack, meth, etc. off the streets is absolutely the right thing to do.

Obviously people still use it and there is crime as a result but I truly believe that this is the lesser of two evils.
Quote:And...? Where's your proof/ evidence to support your claim?

Every history book I've ever read.  

Prohibition led to the bootlegging industry, which lead  to common street thugs organizing themselves into bootlegging operations.   Look it up.  Google "prohibition and organized crime" for example. 

Here's a link to help you get started.   http://www.albany.edu/~wm731882/organize...final.html

Or this one:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition...ted_States

"Prohibition led to some unintended consequences and its ultimate repeal in 1933: the growth of criminal organizations, including the modern American Mafia and various other criminal groups..."
Quote:You say this now but what happens if your kids become wrapped up in that kind of world? You can bet your life you'd wish they wouldn't have had access to it then.

Now normally I'm not one for government intervention/regulation and I am completely in favor of legalizing marijuana (even though I don't smoke), but some things just make sense. Keeping things such as heroin, crack, meth, etc. off the streets is absolutely the right thing to do.

Obviously people still use it and there is crime as a result but I truly believe that this is the lesser of two evils.

You honestly believe that they don't have access now? You should get out more. The only thing(s) decriminalization would do is return freedom and autonomy to the citizens of this country, empty the prisons of non-violent perpetrators of victimless crime, slash the law enforcement budgets of every government agency in the USA, and increase the tax receipts of those same governments. No one is saying that a criminal who commits a crime shouldn't be incarcerated, but it's a moral offense to treat our citizens the way we do because they want to use drugs for fun.
Quote:You say this now but what happens if your kids become wrapped up in that kind of world? You can bet your life you'd wish they wouldn't have had access to it then.

My children abstaining from that life style will have everything to do with how I raise them and who I allow them to be around, and almost nothing to do with what any authority figure says is right or wrong.

There's literally hundreds of things that can get you high sold at WalMart every day. And yet some how we as a society are able to regulate ourselves from falling into complete chaos without needing regulations against these items.

The war on drugs, much like the war on poverty is simply an excuse for a select minority to display power over you. I oppose that projection of authority  chance I get.
Quote:My children abstaining from that life style will have everything to do with how I raise them and who I allow them to be around, and almost nothing to do with what any authority figure says is right or wrong.

There's literally hundreds of things that can get you high sold at WalMart every day. And yet some how we as a society are able to regulate ourselves from falling into complete chaos without needing regulations against these items.

The war on drugs, much like the war on poverty is simply an excuse for a select minority to display power over you. I oppose that projection of authority  chance I get.
Are you aware that you have to be 18 in order to purchase sharpies? This is because kids were trying to get high using them.

Are you aware that you have to be 18 in order to purchase spray paint? This is because kids were using it to get high.

There are regulations in place for many of those items, it just so happens that they have practical uses that outweigh the relatively small portion of people that would use them to get high. Out of curiosity, what would you say is a practical use for heroin? I don't imagine that there is one, but I'll admit that I don't know enough about the stuff to be absolutely certain.

Just because something can get you high doesn't mean that it should be banned entirely and just because something can get you high doesn't mean that it's comparable to things like heroin.

A world without regulations is anarchy. That's a fact. It's also a fact that anarchy is a terrible idea if you want to have anything that even slightly resembles modern society.
Quote:Are you aware that you have to be 18 in order to purchase sharpies? This is because kids were trying to get high using them.

Are you aware that you have to be 18 in order to purchase spray paint? This is because kids were using it to get high.

There are regulations in place for many of those items, it just so happens that they have practical uses that outweigh the relatively small portion of people that would use them to get high. Out of curiosity, what would you say is a practical use for heroin? I don't imagine that there is one, but I'll admit that I don't know enough about the stuff to be absolutely certain.

Just because something can get you high doesn't mean that it should be banned entirely and just because something can get you high doesn't mean that it's comparable to things like heroin.

A world without regulations is anarchy. That's a fact. It's also a fact that anarchy is a terrible idea if you want to have anything that even slightly resembles modern society.

I believe heroin was used in the medical field much like dimmeral(spelling?) is used today.

I'm not advocating heroin be sold in Walmart either I'm just arguing against the authority of anyone attempting to dictate what a consenting adult does in the privacy of their own home. If you treated other narcotics the same as alcohol how would we be worse off? We'd have a smaller prison population that's for sure.
Quote:I believe heroin was used in the medical field much like dimmeral(spelling?) is used today.

I'm not advocating heroin be sold in Walmart either I'm just arguing against the authority of anyone attempting to dictate what a consenting adult does in the privacy of their own home. If you treated other narcotics the same as alcohol how would we be worse off? We'd have a smaller prison population that's for sure.

Yet many medical drugs are also regulated and not freely available.

You really are. You're advocating a world without regulations. That would mean heroin being sold OTC at Walmart. After all, you can go and buy alcohol at Walmart (oh, there are regulations regarding that as well, hence "carding").

Yes, we would be worse off. Drug use isn't something that is an isolated experience limited to effecting the individual that chooses to use. It impacts the user's lives significantly more than alcohol would and would impact the lives of almost everyone around the user regardless of whether or not they are also users. Just because you believe that your family would be able to handle it just fine, doesn't mean that making something unregulated is a good idea that is beneficial to society at all.
Pages: 1 2