Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If we landed Tom would you be mad if?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Tom Became hc and offered two first rounders for Eli Manning and a late rounder?  Eli would instantly be welcomed by Robinson, Lee, and, Hurns  and could turn the Jaguars around. 

Would NY do this?  Normally no.  But with a new HC and hardly any play makers left.  This could end up a smart idea to groom a young qb.  And give us a legitimate qb as a starter. Thoughts?  If this was a real chance for Eli?   What would you be comfortable given the Giants for him?  Would you want Eli over Blake?
Two first rounders is too much, but if he was made available id have no problem making a move.

Thing is NY is almost certainly not trading him because that would just be flat out dumb so we can probably give up on this dream immediately.
Why stop at Eli? If the Packers don't make the playoffs McCarthy is probably gone and they will have a new coach, and with Jordy getting old they have hardly any playmakers. Same situation as above...so let's just trade for Rodgers? I mean why not. 

Lol, Eli throws picks like Bortles.

GB would never give up Rodgers. We're done boys.

Quote:GB would never give up Rodgers. We're done boys.
This can't be true. I see opinions on here all the time about how we should simply trade for Rivers, or sign Cousins, or now trade for Eli. It sure seems like teams are eager to trade their franchise QBs to me. 
I don't want Coughlin. We got rid of him for a reason. He's stubborn and refuses to change as the NFL changes. He's also older than God. I don't want some coach who is stuck in his own ways.

Quote:I don't want Coughlin. We got rid of him for a reason. He's stubborn and refuses to change as the NFL changes. He's also older than God. I don't want some coach who is stuck in his own ways.

Let me play devils advocate here.

Would you rather get a guy who has proven twice that he is one of the better coaches in the past 30 years early on in his employment or trust Dave Caldwell to make the pick for next HC who will likely be here for at least 4 years?
Quote:I don't want Coughlin. We got rid of him for a reason. He's stubborn and refuses to change as the NFL changes. He's also older than God. I don't want some coach who is stuck in his own ways.

Really? He has always indicated he would have accepted losing the GM responsibilities here when he was fired. He didn't have those duties in NY, and he won two titles. Yeah, we should avoid that like the plague.

As far as the OP's suggestion, absolutely not.
Quote:Let me play devils advocate here.

Would you rather get a guy who has proven twice that he is one of the better coaches in the past 30 years early on in his employment or trust Dave Caldwell to make the pick for next HC who will likely be here for at least 4 years?

Option B. Tom Coughlin..... been there, done that, not again. Move on.
There isnt any reason to suggest he doesnt change.
Quote:There isnt any reason to suggest he doesnt change.

Do you remember why we fired him in the first place? You can either be a harda$$ like Coughlin was (where the players don't like you) or a candya$$ like Gus is (where the players don't respect you.) The key to any good coach is finding a healthy balance. Coughlin was super tough on guys and when it began to backfire, he refused to change his ways and he was fired. It happened in New York as well. 

Quote:Do you remember why we fired him in the first place?
Do you remember the year we fired him?

Do you know what year it currently is?
Quote:Do you remember why we fired him in the first place? You can either be a harda$$ like Coughlin was (where the players don't like you) or a candya$$ like Gus is (where the players don't respect you.) The key to any good coach is finding a healthy balance. Coughlin was super tough on guys and when it began to backfire, he refused to change his ways and he was fired. It happened in New York as well. 

You really weren't a fan of the team during the Coughlin era, were you? 

He was definitely a task master early on, but just about every player who came through Jacksonville said his coaching style changed significantly over the years.  That continued with the Giants.  To say he refused to change is just a complete load of crap.
Quote:Do you remember why we fired him in the first place? You can either be a harda$$ like Coughlin was (where the players don't like you) or a candya$$ like Gus is (where the players don't respect you.) The key to any good coach is finding a healthy balance. Coughlin was super tough on guys and when it began to backfire, he refused to change his ways and he was fired. It happened in New York as well.
Its well documented that he changed his approach to coaching during his tenure with the giants
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14504114/how-tom-coughlin-changed-ways-won-new-york-giants-nfl'>http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14504114/how-tom-coughlin-changed-ways-won-new-york-giants-nfl</a>
Quote:Do you remember the year we fired him?

Do you know what year it currently is?

What difference does that make?
Quote:You really weren't a fan of the team during the Coughlin era, were you? 

He was definitely a task master early on, but just about every player who came through Jacksonville said his coaching style changed significantly over the years.  That continued with the Giants.  To say he refused to change is just a complete load of crap.

I don't know what they were reporting there in Jacksonville, but outside of Florida the reports I saw were completely different.
Quote:What difference does that make?
That its not 1999 coughlin were talking about.
Two firsts for a 35 year old QB.....

Thats why I said what can we offer?

Eli is one of those QB's who can throw 6 int's a game and still throw enough td's to win..
Pages: 1 2