Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Curious about something
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With MJD doing so today, how many players in NFL history have run for, caught, returned a kick for, and thrown for a TD? I feel like it can't be a lot. 

I think Tomlinson did all of that in a single game one time.

But I'm not sure how many players total have done it period.

Did Tomlinson return kickoffs? Off the top of my head I would guess Kordell Stewart, Randel El and Josh Cribbs.

LT Didn't return kicks and according to ESPN Cribbs has never thrown one. I don't think Stewart has either, at least not that I could find

Quote:I think Tomlinson did all of that in a single game one time.

There was a game in 1979 that the late Walter Payton had a passing,  rushing,  and receiving TD in Minnesota.   At that time, the Vikings still played outdoors at Metropolitan Stadium,  in Bloomington.    However, despite being effective returning kickoffs early in his career,  Payton was no longer returning kickoffs at that time.  There was never a more complete RB than Walter Payton.
Another interesting statistic: we aren't last in our division now.
Quote:There was a game in 1979 that the late Walter Payton had a passing,  rushing,  and receiving TD in Minnesota.   At that time, the Vikings still played outdoors at Metropolitan Stadium,  in Bloomington.    However, despite being effective returning kickoffs early in his career,  Payton was no longer returning kickoffs at that time.  There was never a more complete RB than Walter Payton.
Sweetness is also the greatest nickname in professional sports history, IMO.
Quote:There was a game in 1979 that the late Walter Payton had a passing,  rushing,  and receiving TD in Minnesota.   At that time, the Vikings still played outdoors at Metropolitan Stadium,  in Bloomington.    However, despite being effective returning kickoffs early in his career,  Payton was no longer returning kickoffs at that time.  There was never a more complete RB than Walter Payton.

Walter Payton was so much fun to watch. There were a lot of good running backs in the history of the league but it's hard to say he was more complete than Emmitt Smith, O.J. Simpson, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen among others. They were all great.

Regards.....................the Chiefjag
Quote:Sweetness is also the greatest nickname in professional sports history, IMO.

It's indeed a great nickname.  Walter Payton was a gentleman off the field and a class act on the field.   Yet,  to Payton's credit,  he was one of the top competitors in the game.  It was hard keeping track of the amount of tacklers that bounced off Sweetness In a game.  
Quote:Walter Payton was so much fun to watch. There were a lot of good running backs in the history of the league but it's hard to say he was more complete than Emmitt Smith, O.J. Simpson, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen among others. They were all great.

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

I agree they were all great.   

IMO,  at the very least,  Barry, Jim Brown,  and O.J. were better pure runners from scrimmage than Walter Payton.   However,  when it came to all around RB player,  the two most complete RB's on this list were Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith.   I give Payton the edge over Smith as being even more complete because he was a weapon throwing the option pass and was a highly productive kickoff returner earlier in his career.   Both were great receivers and blitz protectors. 
Quote:Sweetness is also the greatest nickname in professional sports history, IMO.

I'd Have to say Magic was prolly the greatest nickname in all of sports.. My opinion though..
Quote:I think Tomlinson did all of that in a single game one time.

He ran for one, caught one, and threw for one.
I'll see your Magic and raise you a Refrigerator.

Quote:I'll see your Magic and raise you a Refrigerator.
I'll see your Refrigerator and raise you a Too Tall
The two cards I was dealt in this game of Nickname Poker are "The Playmaker" and "Megatron", so I guess I call.

Was always a big fan of pocket hercules myself
I read an interview once with an NFL ref and he was asked about what the most impressive thing he ever saw on the field. He said that he saw many spectacular feats of athleticism, but what stuck out most in his mind was watching Walter Payton accelerate to full speed in two strides.
What, nobody thinks "All Day" and "Muscle Hamster" aren't two of the greatest nick names in all of sports?

Yeah, I don't either.

Quote:I'll see your Magic and raise you a Refrigerator.

I call with Mr. October and The Sultan of Swat / Bambino..
No mention of Chocolate Thunder?!?!?! What are you guys, Philistines?!

Pages: 1 2