Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The jags are certainly in a weird position now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With Bridgewater's recent "struggles" and the Jags winning, I find myself conflicted. Is bridgewater really worth the #1 overall pick? Does it even matter now that we are in the 3-5th pick range? Did we just gift Bridgewater to Houston? Who do we look to now to carry the Jags QB banner? So many questions....

Tell ya what though, Gus is really coaching his tail off and the rookies are coming alive. Lets hope they don't fold like Gene's crew did 2-3 years down the road.

Quote:With Bridgewater's recent "struggles" and the Jags winning, I find myself conflicted. Is bridgewater really worth the #1 overall pick? Does it even matter now that we are in the 3-5th pick range? Did we just gift Bridgewater to Houston? Who do we look to now to carry the Jags QB banner? So many questions....

Tell ya what though, Gus is really coaching his tail off and the rookies are coming alive. Lets hope they don't fold like Gene's crew did 2-3 years down the road.
I honestly like A.J. McCarron better. But, I know that this would be a very unpopular decision with all of the FSU fans on here. And given yesterday's disaster against Auburn.
I originally was in the Bridgewater or bust bandwagon but I've changed my stance some. Heaven forbid anyone do that here.

I love the way players are developing. Young guys and the FA that Caldwell brought in are playing well. I'm excited to see how Caldwell's plan develops. Bridgewater or no Bridgewater, I'm happy to see the young guys playing hard with enthusiasm at 3-9. Gus is showing himself to be a leader of men and if that continues this team will be fine. We have not had a head coach with that quality since Tom Coughlin ran this team. Caldwell has to find a better QB and it has to happen sooner than later. Henne and Gabbert are not viable options going forward and I expect to see new faces at the QB spot.

Watching these players develop is worth the rough season and gives me the excitement to see what the future holds with Caldwell and Bradley running things. I'm not crowning anyone yet and they have a lot of work that needs done but one thing that I continue to see is the players are buying what Gus is selling despite a rough start. There is value and importance in that. This franchise can benefit from that in a big way once more talent is in the roster.
Barr then *gasp* trade up for Johnny Heisman. Then spend our other picks to shore up the interior OL and front 7
Quote:I honestly like A.J. McCarron better. But, I know that this would be a very unpopular decision with all of the FSU fans on here. And given yesterday's disaster against Auburn.
Unless McCarron's the backup kicker, I don't know if you can hang that loss on him.

There are some intriguing prospects not named Bridgewater in this draft.  There are also some really good players ahead of him.  This is a good year for a top 5 pick, and the Jags will likely still have one.  We could conceivably pick 4th and still get Bridgewater.  Or trade the pick.  Some piece of me would love to see the message board implosion after that one.
Id laugh if we got pick 6 and bridgewater fell right in our laps anyway.  

If a real defensive gamechanger exists and we can get him I'd be happy with one in the first then look at other QB options in the second or at the top of the first.

One thing is for sure, this GM will NOT waste a pick on a QB they don't deem worthy, look at how many we passed on last year, some fans calling out for Smith, Barkley, Wilson and Manuel and God knows who else, some even wanting us to spend a fourth on Matt Scott (we got Ace Sanders in the fourth, Dave knows what he is doing, kid is legit).

Quote:I honestly like A.J. McCarron better. But, I know that this would be a very unpopular decision with all of the FSU fans on here. And given yesterday's disaster against Auburn.
I like McCarron to. He's calm in the pocket and just enough mobility to get away from the rush with good pocket awareness.
I think we'll still pick #1.  The Falcons are currently winning.  We face the Texans next week.  We've been terrible at home this year.  Most of our remaining games are at home, except the one against the Colts.

I'd much rather pick #1 at 3-13 than at 0-16 or 1-15.  

I doubt Caldwell will take any chances with his first round pick.  Whoever he picks will be a star for many years.

126jags4life

Quote:I originally was in the Bridgewater or bust bandwagon but I've changed my stance some. Heaven forbid anyone do that here.

I love the way players are developing. Young guys and the FA that Caldwell brought in are playing well. I'm excited to see how Caldwell's plan develops. Bridgewater or no Bridgewater, I'm happy to see the young guys playing hard with enthusiasm at 3-9. Gus is showing himself to be a leader of men and if that continues this team will be fine. We have not had a head coach with that quality since Tom Coughlin ran this team. Caldwell has to find a better QB and it has to happen sooner than later. Henne and Gabbert are not viable options going forward and I expect to see new faces at the QB spot.

Watching these players develop is worth the rough season and gives me the excitement to see what the future holds with Caldwell and Bradley running things. I'm not crowning anyone yet and they have a lot of work that needs done but one thing that I continue to see is the players are buying what Gus is selling despite a rough start. There is value and importance in that. This franchise can benefit from that in a big way once more talent is in the roster.
Yes - absolutely agree that Gus is a leader - he has shown nothing but positivity and patience and it is starting to come together.  The players obviously love him and I think that is so important.  Maybe I am just being corny but I cannot stop smiling tonight.  We don't need to worry about the draft - looks to me like Caldwell put together a pretty good draft this past year - I am going to trust he figures out the QB situation one way or another. The culture of our team is way more important than a #1 draft pick - I mean come on - our team minus our #1 draft pick starting LT and #1 draft pick receiver still found a way to win? That is all about heart and to me that is just as important as talent - look at some of the other teams - they have way more talent but no heart right now.  Good teams find a way to win and we found one today.
I would be surprised if the Jaguars draft a QB in the first round if they don't have a number one or two pick.

Quote:I would be surprised if the Jaguars draft a QB in the first round if they don't have a number one or two pick.

If Carr and Bridgewater are gone then we wont, if one of those two guys are there though I would bet on Caldwell pulling the trigger.
Honestly we are still favorites for the number 1 pick, so its not time to freak out yet.

Minnesota won, Atlanta might win today, and then the Texans.... who will play on Thursday.  It's conceivable that we still get the #1 or #2 pick even with 4 wins or so.   I think 5 wins would get potentially out of the top 5.

Quote:Honestly we are still favorites for the number 1 pick, so its not time to freak out yet.
Only you and a couple others on here will freak out if we don't get the number one pick and the rest of us know we will be just fine.

Quote:Only you and a couple others on here will freak out if we don't get the number one pick and the rest of us know we will be just fine.

We could be fine, but we could also hand another franchise QB to our division rival. This horse is dead and beaten, but nothing will convince me otherwise that 2 wins in a dead season is more important than a shot at a franchise QB.

Point out the anomalies all you want, finding that guy outside the top 10 is very vey rare.

126jags4life

Quote:We could be fine, but we could also hand another franchise QB to our division rival. This horse is dead and beaten, but nothing will convince me otherwise that 2 wins in a dead season is more important than a shot at a franchise QB.

Point out the anomalies all you want, finding that guy outside the top 10 is very vey rare.
Nothing will convince me that winning is bad - ever!
I think A.J. McCarron is the most NFL ready QB in this upcoming draft (Is he going to be in this years draft?). You can tell his coaches taught him to be calm in the pocket and have awareness of the rush and receivers at the same time.

Quote:Nothing will convince me that winning is bad - ever!

So you like how we beat the Colts twice on 2012 and handed them luck? Do you still remember those wins? How good do they feel?
Pages: 1 2 3