Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Shorts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Drops are getting out of hand.
He's only ever been a number 2 guy. He does everything well, but nothing great. We need Blackmon back.

Quote:Drops are getting out of hand.

iseewhatyoudidthere

Skillz
The drops are frustrating. But, they'll be forgotten if this game ends in a win based on that final catch.
Cecil > Blackmon

But yet he makes those clutch TD's.

Quote:The drops are frustrating. But, they'll be forgotten if this game ends in a win based on that final catch.

QFT
Quote:But yet he makes those clutch TD's.
This is probably his best attribute. If it wasn't for his late game antics we would be comparing him to Northcutt IMO. He doesn't have a great reception rate, and really is just getting yards because of our increased passing attempts the last two years.

Watching today's game I got the distinct impression that Ace Sanders might be better. I fully expect Shorts to top 1000 yards, but I don't think he is better than a 2nd option. Maybe Peerless Price would be a better example than Northcutt.

Edit: I should add, in fairness, that going against Joe Hayden, and the teams number one corners, certainly doesn't help Shorts. He is good, I am just not sure were exactly he falls, I think the Peerless Price comparison is apropos. Price excelled as a secondary receiver (even hitting 1200 yards one year), but was never the same when he became 'the man' in Atlanta.

The number of drops is a real concern, but he's doing enough to be a factor.   Would love to see him catch more consistently down the stretch.

Quote:This is probably his best attribute. If it wasn't for his late game antics we would be comparing him to Northcutt IMO. He doesn't have a great reception rate, and really is just getting yards because of our increased passing attempts the last two years.

Watching today's game I got the distinct impression that Ace Sanders might be better. I fully expect Shorts to top 1000 yards, but I don't think he is better than a 2nd option. Maybe Peerless Price would be a better example than Northcutt.

Edit: I should add, in fairness, that going against Joe Hayden, and the teams number one corners, certainly doesn't help Shorts. He is good, I am just not sure were exactly he falls, I think the Peerless Price comparison is apropos. Price excelled as a secondary receiver (even hitting 1200 yards one year), but was never the same when he became 'the man' in Atlanta.

Prior to this game he had a lower drop rate than Blackmon, but Blackmon catches everything right?

Jacksonville Receiving   REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS

A. Sanders 8   67  8.4    0   25      11

C. Shorts III 6  64 10.7   1   20     11

Quote: 

<div style="margin:0px 6px 0px 0px;background-color:transparent;"> 
Jacksonville Receiving   REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS

A. Sanders 8   67  8.4    0   25      11

C. Shorts III 6  64 10.7   1   20     11

</div>
I think that this supports the idea that they are very similar in skill levels. Yes Shorts dropped more passes, but he also played against Hayden more, so I look at it as a kind of wash besides the truly easy passes that Shorts dropped.
Quote:Prior to this game he had a lower drop rate than Blackmon, but Blackmon catches everything right?
I have not made this argument, but I will comment that Blackmon has a very different game then Shorts, and can be much more effective against the elite corners due to Body control, size, and the way he positions. Shorts is just not as physical as Blackmon IMO. When I look at Blackmon I see that 95 yard catch that Gordon had were he just flowed out of the tackle, I think Blackmon could roll like that, I don't think Shorts could.
I think Shorts biggest problem is his own self. I just get the feeling that he is trying to psyche himself up whenever he knows, undoubtedly, that he is going up against the other team's #1 pass defender that he ends up getting in his own way. I think that the conversation that G. Bradley had with him -- "...Bradley said he spoke to Shorts on the sidelines after the drops about trusting his preparation and athleticism
..." -- really got him away from thinking too much and simply executing the play.

I can say that a lot of times, this is an effect that "tough coaching" can have on a player, especially if the player doesn't have an awareness that the person laying out the tough coaching has confidence in him. As a coach, you absolutely must be demanding and set expectations for your players, but it is just as critical that they know that you have confidence in them. Without that, the player will be scared of defeat and not striving towards execution.

What worries me is he's not hitting the homeruns like last year.  It seemed every game or two he'd have a breakaway long gain or TD.  Haven't seen that this year.

Great move and catch by Cecil Shorts on that game winner. Blackmons job security is lessening. Looks like we don't need an amazing alcoholic afterall.

Quote:Great move and catch by Cecil Shorts on that game winner. Blackmons job security is lessening. Looks like we don't need an amazing alcoholic afterall.

Yes we do need Blackmon..........
Quote:Great move and catch by Cecil Shorts on that game winner. Blackmons job security is lessening. Looks like we don't need an amazing alcoholic afterall.
I don't think you realize how much the Blackmon + Cecil combo would make defenses cringe on game-day once we get a solid QB. We'd have major success on offense.
Quote:Cecil > Blackmon

which Blackmon would that be?....because its not Justin, thats for sure.