Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 92-Year-Old World War II Veteran Unable To Buy Alcohol After Not Having ID To Prove He’s Old Enough To Make Purchase
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

92-Year-Old World War II Veteran Unable To Buy Alcohol After Not Having ID To Prove He’s Old Enough To Make Purchase

A man who has lived for nearly a century had to walk out of a store without the liquor he wanted to buy after being informed he needed identification to prove he was old enough. The store now says it was a joke, but the man with 19 great-grandchildren isn’t buying it.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/9...-he-s-old#

Maybe he ages like Benjamin Button?

Quote:Maybe he ages like Benjamin Button?

Maybe it's maybeline(sp)
That's the ID law in a lot of places.

Fortunately for him, there is no ID law to vote in most places, so he can cast his ballot to change the law. Smile

Just dawned on me that this is one heck of a long thread title.
Quote:That's the ID law in a lot of places.

Fortunately for him, there is no ID law to vote in most places, so he can cast his ballot to change the law. Smile

This. Occasions like this are few and far between compared to cases of underage people trying to buy what they legally aren't allowed to buy so it makes some sense to have a card everyone policy.
Quote:That's the ID law in a lot of places.

^^ this

I'm agreeing with Dakota way to much as of late

Quote:This. Occasions like this are few and far between compared to cases of underage people trying to buy what they legally aren't allowed to buy so it makes some sense to have a card everyone policy.

This is true. A card everyone policy removes the onus of judging the buyer's age and gives the employee and business owner legal protection. However, in this case good old common sense should have prevailed and illustrates the problem with blanket laws. Giving the same amount of scrutiny to a centenarian and a person of questionable age is just plain silly. While it is arguable on a legal basis, on a practical level it leads to a half-baked mea culpa by the owner and unflattering attention. Sometimes people just need to think for themselves when the situation clearly warrants the correct decision to be made.

I'm not hammering on you, Unravel. I just used your post as my soapbox. Smile
That's insane. Law or no law. It's called common sense. I would have offered to buy the old veteran the alcohol myself. Somebody should find out that man's address for me. I'll send him a box of crown or beam for Christmas.

Quote:That's insane. Law or no law. It's called common sense. I would have offered to buy the old veteran the alcohol myself. Somebody should find out that man's address for me. I'll send him a box of crown or beam for Christmas.

Let me give you my address and I promise to forward it to him. Wink
You know, it was even funnier reading this after I looked at your avatar.

Quote:Let me give you my address and I promise to forward it to him. Wink
Quote:This is true. A card everyone policy removes the onus of judging the buyer's age and gives the employee and business owner legal protection. However, in this case good old common sense should have prevailed and illustrates the problem with blanket laws. Giving the same amount of scrutiny to a centenarian and a person of questionable age is just plain silly. While it is arguable on a legal basis, on a practical level it leads to a half-baked mea culpa by the owner and unflattering attention. Sometimes people just need to think for themselves when the situation clearly warrants the correct decision to be made.

I'm not hammering on you, Unravel. I just used your post as my soapbox. Smile

Don't worry, I agree that common sense should have won out (unless the guy looks absolutely spectacular for 92 Tongue). Your post is actually why I limited it to just "some" sense, I just didn't feel like typing it all out at 11 PM. Smile