Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Google home, Amazon echo home automation in general
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone doing it what's your thoughts on it? On one hand voice commanding my home sounds really cool. But the whole idea of putting speakers connected to the internet in my home kind of freaks me out.
Especially with the way ads come up on the phone after having a conversation with someone about a product or service.
I don't like it. Not because I don't want them to connect to the internet, but because I absolutely loathe voice commands with fiery passion. 

I mean my droid phone comes on all the time by accident so I know it's always "listening".

I think voice commanding my house like the enterprise would be sweet. but at what cost?

Didn't know about the adds thing but that completely makes sense.
Quote:I mean my droid phone comes on all the time by accident so I know it's always "listening".

I think voice commanding my house like the enterprise would be sweet. but at what cost?

Didn't know about the adds thing but that completely makes sense.

Actually that would be pretty bad [BLEEP] now that I think of it.

Had a conversation with a friend a few weeks ago about an obscure beer we had in Spain years ago. Went on my phone that night and there was an ad on Google for the same beer. Few weird things like that have happened. I know for a fact that Lenovo have built in spy ware soft ware in all their products. They were caught out for it.
Quote:Actually that would be pretty bad [BAD WORD REMOVED] now that I think of it.

Had a conversation with a friend a few weeks ago about an obscure beer we had in Spain years ago. Went on my phone that night and there was an ad on Google for the same beer. Few weird things like that have happened. I know for a fact that Lenovo have built in spy ware soft ware in all their products. They were caught out for it.

Yea I think they all do it worse kept secret of our generation. Ideally we all kick them out of our homes but damn they make that hard even for a the end is near lock up your guns the government is coming redneck like me.
Just installed the Philips Hue lights in the living room and a bathroom. It's really cool, but we don't have the Echo or Google Home.

Seems like Echo is getting better reviews, but it's a lot more expensive. 

I like the idea of the Amazon Echo, but I won't do it for the very reason mentioned in the OP.  I'd rather just manipulate compatible housewares from my iPhone.  I have the "Hey Siri" function turned off, but I suppose it's probably still listening to me anyway so there may be no getting away from it.

I use an Echo, it's pretty handy.

Haven't seen anything with ads.

The Home understands context better and spies more but Echo has way more integration with other smart products.
I'm not terribly interested in putting always-on internet connected microphones that are listening to every word I say in my house. Sure, Amazon says their thing isn't listening unless it hears its name, but I'd be curious to see how many people that talked about Coke in their kitchen last night got a featured deal for a two-liter of Pepsi this morning.

Also. If you use a Fire or Chromecast, they will each control those, so that might be a consideration.

They each control Nest, Hue, and Samsung Smart Things.
Quote:I'm not terribly interested in putting always-on internet connected microphones that are listening to every word I say in my house. Sure, Amazon says their thing isn't listening unless it hears its name, but I'd be curious to see how many people that talked about Coke in their kitchen last night got a featured deal for a two-liter of Pepsi this morning.

Yeah, I'm not down with this either.
Quote:Yeah, I'm not down with this either.

We can fight it but is bet in 10 years it'll be as common as the smart phone today.
Have a couple. I love it. Putzing in a room? Need some jams? Alexa..play some rock n roll, play some Rolling Stones, play my playlist.

Cooking? Alexa..how many cups in a quart. Drinks? Alexa..how do you make a manhatten...or..Alexa..give me some recipes containing bourbon..or for cooking..recipe for ground beef onions etc.

Set your daily customized briefing..local new, weather, int news..whatever. How is my compute to work. 

Alexa..turn on the lights. Dim the lights. Set thermometer. Water lawn. Lock the doors. Alexa..turn on WAUP radio, NY...Listen to Imus in the morning.

Its endless..and continuing to grow with third party apps and gadgets. 

She is my new gf.

Quote:Just installed the Philips Hue lights in the living room and a bathroom. It's really cool, but we don't have the Echo or Google Home.

Seems like Echo is getting better reviews, but it's a lot more expensive. 
Amazon Dot is cheaper..$49 ( it was $39 during Cyber Monday. Add a better speaker. done. Does the exact same thing as Echo...just doesnt have the upgraded speaker. 
Quote:Have a couple. I love it. Putzing in a room? Need some jams? Alexa..play some rock n roll, play some Rolling Stones, play my playlist.

Cooking? Alexa..how many cups in a quart. Drinks? Alexa..how do you make a manhatten...or..Alexa..give me some recipes containing bourbon..or for cooking..recipe for ground beef onions etc.

Set your daily customized briefing..local new, weather, int news..whatever. How is my compute to work. 

Alexa..turn on the lights. Dim the lights. Set thermometer. Water lawn. Lock the doors. Alexa..turn on WAUP radio, NY...Listen to Imus in the morning.

Its endless..and continuing to grow with third party apps and gadgets. 

She is my new gf.

You went from unsure if you wanted one to having a couple? Alexa got her hooks in you.
I don't have this, but do have a lot of home automation including fridge, dishwasher, oven, sprinkler system, and thermostats. 

Not to hijack the thread, but the Rachio sprinkler controller is awesome. It connects to real time weather and auto-adjusts your watering schedule based on time of year and pending weather. Simple to use and great price.

Quote:You went from unsure if you wanted one to having a couple? Alexa got her hooks in you.

Like a junkie.