Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguar 1st & 2nd Round Draft Picks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
If this post has been done, I apologize. I am new here.

1st Round. 2nd Round. Team Record

95'. T. Boselli. *. B. DeMarco. *. 4-12

J. Stewart. *. B. Schwartz. *

96'. K. Hardy. *. T. Brackens.*. 9-7

97'. R. Wynn. M. Logan. 11-5

98'. F. Taylor.*. C. Taylor. 11-5

99'. F. Bryant. L. Smith. 14-2

00'. RJ Soward. B. Meester.* 7-9

01'. M. Stroud.*. M. Williams. 6-10

02'. J. Henderson.*. M. Pearson. 6-10

03'. B. Leftwich. R. Mathis.* 5-11

04'. R. Williams. D. Smith*. 9-7

05'. M. Jones. K. Barnes. 12-4

06'. M. Lewis. MJD.* 8-8

07'. R. Nelson. J. Durant*. 11-5

08'. D. Harvey. Q. Groves. 5-11

09'. E. Monroe*. E. Britton. 7-9

10'. T. Alualu. Traded Away. 8-8

11'. B. Gabbert. Traded Away. 5-11

12'. J. Blackmon (?). A. Branch. 2-14

13'. L. Joeckel (?). J. Cyprien (?). 1-8

* denotes "Big Hit"

.? denotes possible Big Hit

Observations:

I could say we suck at drafting but that would be like stating that night is dark. This wasn't always so. The 1995, 96' & 98 were strong drafts with many "hits". As a result, the new baby Jags' record soared to 36-12 from 97'-99'. Unfortunately, the latter Coughlin years (99'-02'), we had a rather weak overall draft period. (actually 2002 wasn't too bad) As a result, we had our 1st losing seasons (00'-03') since our inception. During the Shack Harris Years (2003-2007), we weren't able to hit on one 1st round pick. Oddly enough, he was much more successful in the 2nd round. He did have a couple of decent overall drafts (2003, 2004, 2007). Gene had one good hit with OT Monroe. Trading away the 2nd round picks in 2010 & 2011 for Gabbert and Cox really hurt this team IMO. We should have gotten 2 starters with those picks. Gene's last draft could be a potential disaster if Blackmon cannot conquer his demons. Caldwell's 1st draft is looking like our best draft in quite sometime. He has scouting experience since '96 with Carolina, Indy & Atlanta. This will be the KEY draft I think. I have the feeling that this guy knows his stuff and will draft us some big-time players in the next 2 years. Depending on whether we get our quarterback this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see us with a winning record soon. And, hopefully, a playoff run very soon thereafter.
Yeah, pretty much.  Pick well, whether BAP or Need, and you'll be successfull. 

You know, something that always bugs me about the Patriots is that they are lauded as a great organization, but if you look at that team's drafting philosophy, you'd think otherwise.

They spend alot on FA's, they always trade down to stockpile picks, and when they do pick-- they haven't really been hitting very well on thier drafts.  The Patriots have been rolling on thier last decade of success.  The fact that thier division is a mess and has been such a mess coinciding with thier decade of prosperity should open the ESPN analyst eyes that they been good only because they have been beating up wimps and not contenders.  If the Pats were in the AFC West, NFC East, NFC North, or NFC South, I'd bet they'd be so beat up they'd just be a mediocre team.  But no, they get to punk out on the Jets, Bills, and Phins.  Jets, Bills, Phins....  How crappy have those teams been for 10 years?  Sheesh!

Division matchups are huge for playoff runs.  When you can beat up your division, you'll always be in the Playoff Picture.  The Pats have enjoyed that, and will continue to enjoy it because of the disfunction in that division.  It's annoying, really.

As for the Jags, we need to hope that our new GM is better at drafting and picking up FA talent than the last 10 years have been. 

2013 brought us a LT and then Secondary players in the mid rounds and then WRs and a QB in the later rounds.  We'll see how it works out. 

Gus Bradley I think really had a big influence on Caldwell's early picks.  Which is fine, considering the side of the ball Bradley ran.  The way to jump up and be a contender moving forward means that Caldwell uses the salary cap benefits we have, along with our multiple picks, along with player evaluation to peice together a strong unit.

It's not hard to think that we have some strength in the secondary, and to focus on aquisition of pass rush D-lineme in the draft.  It's also not hard to think that we could pick up some O-line aquisitions in Free Agency to shore up our Ultimate weakness.  We have players in skill positions on offense, but if our O-line is maintained as it has been for for years, no amount of high draft skill positions will shine

Having a franchise QB, a franchise WR, a franchise RB won't matter if there is no front line to protect them.  The pawns are the most important. 

Look at the Dolphins, they looked really good early in the season.  Then the whole team collapsed as J. Martin bounced and R. Incognito got suspended.  The O-line is important.

Attack the QB, Protect the QB.  HAVE A QB

I want to believe that Caldwell has this philosophy, in (edit) some sort of order.  Of course, so does every GM

Picking those individuals that will translate into those slots is the basis of success.

I wonder how different things would be if Gabbert wasn't the worst QB ever
Quote:I wonder how different things would be if Gabbert wasn't the worst QB ever

Yeah....  About that.....   

Uhhh...  he was.......    And I'm gonna need you to come to work on Saturday....   We lost some people.....  So we need you to... Uh, play a little catch up (ketchup)....

Ok, so yeah,... Thanks peter... :thanks:
I wonder what happens if we take Dalton instead of Gabbert (not saying I want Dalton, just curious where we'd be if we did.)

One winning season in the MJD era. Interesting.

We're 31st in run offense and last in run d, I don't care if we only draft skilled fat guys the whole draft.

Quote:One winning season in the MJD era. Interesting.

I noticed that to. The drafting in his era has been abysmal.
Quote:I noticed that to. The drafting in his era has been abysmal.

OR the philosophy every coach we've had sense Tom Coughlin has been to build around a RB instead of a QB. It doesn't work the best RB doesn't win championships.
2014: (Rd1) Manzeil    (Rd2) Murray

<pre class="_prettyXprint">
</pre>
MJD is a leach... the whole thing had to be about him... now look where that got us.... we focused on a player, not a team....
So sad there has to be a ? by Blackmon.

Drafting is the life of every team…our current situation should not surprise anyone as we look back over the utterly desolate drafting of Harris and Smith.  They were the worst drafters for a franchise for a period of a decade.  We are in recovery from what they did to us now. 

Quote:Drafting is the life of every team…our current situation should not surprise anyone as we look back over the utterly desolate drafting of Harris and Smith.  They were the worst drafters for a franchise for a period of a decade.  We are in recovery from what they did to us now.

Absolutely!
Quote:2014: (Rd1) Manzeil (Rd2) Murray
Bust and career backup. I thought we needed to draft BETTER.
This fails to indicate where we were picking in each of the first and second rounds. Any given year, there can (and has been) a significant talent drop-off after as few as four picks, or as far down as twenty. Some years there just aren't franchise-level players, or you can't draft 'em due to your position.

It also does no good to isolate our picks from the rest. There were lots of other players rubbing elbows with our selections.You need those to provide some sense of comparison to other efforts by the rest of the NFL. 

Years back somebody pointed out that our drafts began to decay when we lost Ron Hill. His last draft was 1998. It's no coincidence that Gene Smith was named the director of college scouting right at the time the Jaguars suddenly changed their draft formula (which was team captains, solid character, etc.)

We've beat former GM Gene Smith's lousy scouting department to death; thrown the right people down the stairs; cut our worst losses, and kept the wrong guys too long.

As long as we pick the best player available each and every time we pick, there's nothing more possible.

Where we've really failed is deliberately not drafting the best player available due to a stupid fear it will upset the frail egos of what we have and/or avoid spending money necessary to step on the field loaded with depth at all the positions.
Quote:2014: (Rd1) Manzeil    (Rd2) Murray

trollol
Quote:2014: (Rd1) Manzeil    (Rd2) Murray
I disagree with the players but not the position.. I'd be more than happy if they took 2 QBs within the first 3 rounds in case the first guy doesn't work out for some strange reason. 
Brian DeMarco was NOT a big hit. He was just big.

I want Clowney and McCarron. I want my QB from a big time program who's played big in big games and I want a DE who will destroy the other guy.

Quote: 

Where we've really failed is deliberately not drafting the best player available due to a stupid fear it will upset the frail egos of what we have and/or avoid spending money necessary to step on the field loaded with depth at all the positions.

:no:

[Image: Eugene_Monroe-1.jpg]

[Image: luke-joeckel.jpg]

Pages: 1 2 3