Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How much of the fault lies with the defense?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hear me out. I think we have this impression that our run-defense has been terrible (which it has), but I think these issues could be severely compounded with others. Our pass defense is pretty solid, especially with all their youth - it's one of the few bright spots on our team. But let's go over a brief outline of any one of the blowouts we've been a part of.

1.Other team scores first.

2.We get off field with at most a field goal.

3. Other team scores again, bringing them up two scores.

4. Offense starts airing it out and running two-yard draws, resulting in very low time of possession. We rarely score, and turn the ball back over to our tired defense.

5. They expand the lead, and start running the ball in order to run out the clock.

6. We lose. Inevitably.

The bolded is the point. Our defense has been on the field so much that their stats are, I believe, unnaturally inflated. Now, I am not saying our defense is good, or even average - I just think we're not as bad on that side of the ball as the statistics tell (and this is coming from a big fan of analytics). It doesn't matter the defense; if they are on the field too long, they will give up yards, and if the other team is ahead; those yards will be on the ground.

I think up until the past two weeks the blame could be almost 90% of the offenses ineptitude and inability to stay on the field/create good field position that were our biggest problems.  Against San Diego and San Fran I would say the defense has regressed immensely.  

The defense deserves their share of blame - but the inept offense certainly puts them behind the eight ball every week. 

The first couple of weeks, the offense was to blame. Couldn't even get a first down. How's the defense supposed to play well like that. However, as the season has progressed and the offense has started making plays, the defense has gotten atrocious. We are last in run defense (or 31st, can't remember). Pass defense is alright, but that's just cause everybody is running all over us. Our defense is providing most of the points put up (minus our great pick six TDs from Gabster and fumblerooski by Lewis). At this point, they both are to blame. Suck = Suck..

Go Jags!

The Defence deserves more blame they are terrible against the run and the couple of games the O looks like they may mount a comeback the other team starts scoring with ease

Quote:I think up until the past two weeks the blame could be almost 90% of the offenses ineptitude and inability to stay on the field/create good field position that were our biggest problems.  Against San Diego and San Fran I would say the defense has regressed immensely.  

This. 
Quote:This. 

Yep.  

But in my eyes it's more simple than that.  The inability to score touchdowns has been the single catalyst for the complete meltdown on both sides of the ball this season.  We're historically bad at scoring points.  In fact, we scored 50% more points per game last season when we went 2-14!!!  

It's been a chain reaction of events that's completely crippling our entire team.  Only a COMPLETELY DOMINANT DEFENSE can withhold the punishment our scoring offense is inflicting on this team.   Sorry, Henne, but your passing yards are doing absolutely nothing for us right now.  

As far as run defense, we're basically the Peyton Manning era Colt's run defense, WITHOUT PEYTON MANNING.  Not gonna work.
It is amazing how easily teams run on us. The reason we are such a high ranked pass defense is no one needs to pass....they run on us at will. When your defense gives up 35+ a week that is a lot of pressure on the offense. Right now there is not enough good offense to cover all the points we allow. KC is not scoring much...nor are they allowing many....seems like their D makes their offense's job easy..the opposite of what we have here.

The defense absolutely deserves its share of the blame - especially when the HEAD COACH is a defensive minded guy. 

I don't want to hear about rebuild/ young/ blah blah....

In 1986 Buddy Ryan took over a bad team and had his defense playing a lot better in his first season than Bradley has his. 

last week in the second half we got the ball first and the offense drove the ball down and took up some time. the defense came in after resting at halftime and resting a good bit before the got on the fielld and let SF score very quickley not even stoping them. Defense deserves it fair share of being bad.