Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Virginia HS football player dies...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With all of us talking about how the game is getting more and more "sissy-fied", I thought this story was appropriate. I don't know if his prior concussion was the reason for the player's death, but as a football coach in the area of this event, I know that this story gave me pause.

http://articles.dailypress.com/2013-10-2...h-practice

Quote:With all of us talking about how the game is getting more and more "sissy-fied", I thought this story was appropriate. I don't know if his prior concussion was the reason for the player's death, but as a football coach in the area of this event, I know that this story gave me pause.

http://articles.dailypress.com/2013-10-2...h-practice

The issue is not with the sport being sissy-fied but rather the players willingness to take the risk in exchange for millions of dollars then turning around and suing the NFL.  Just look at the Junior Seau saga -- blaming football  --- then having thier kids play the sport.   The sport has its risks, as does lacrosse, soccer, and walking across the street.  Every day, about a million kids put on their pads and play football......
Quote:The issue is not with the sport being sissy-fied but rather the players willingness to take the risk in exchange for millions of dollars then turning around and suing the NFL.  Just look at the Junior Seau saga -- blaming football  --- then having thier kids play the sport.   The sport has its risks, as does lacrosse, soccer, and walking across the street.  Every day, about a million kids put on their pads and play football...

Yes, they do and I have the great honor of coaching 23 of those children. That's why I make sure that everyone on my staff knows, despite the fact that the players will dramatize any injury, that I do not want any injury or complaint of injury to the head to go unchecked. I know the risks, and I make sure that each player and parent knows the risk involved. I'm not focusing so much on the legal aspect, but rather the loss of life that occurred due to playing football.
That's horrible.  Though I'm glad to hear the coach didn't just play him because he got medical clearance and that the coach consulted the parents.  

I don't think football is becoming 'sissified'.  I think the rules are being made in the name of protection, but the real reason behind them is profit.  It's time to stop focusing on the rules, and start focusing on the equipment. I do think players should be penalized for helmet to helmet hits, but I think it should be with making them sit for so many plays if they lead with their helmets.  Still, equipment that minimizes concussions can only be a good thing.