Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A peek at 2017
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This isn't a "we need a new Head Coach" thread. That will be taken care of.

This isn't a "who will be cut" thread either. But I wanted to see what you guys thought about our offense and defense for next year.

What do you think about this...

WR1 - Robinson is having an ok season after he made the Pro Bowl in 2015. He is still our number 1 WR.

WR2 - Hurns is being paid as our number 2 but Lee is out playing him right now, but Hurns can still play.

WR3 - Lee has been a joy to watch outside of his drops in week 1. Glad to have him.

FB - Hopefully we draft a solid FB in round 6 or 7, or UDFA but we gotta get back to the basics bc our running game is horrible.

RB - Cook, Fournette, just draft some speed. A homerun hitter. I would keep Ivory as insurance and goal line but he's averaging 3.3 ypc. Same thing with Yeldon.

TE - Lewis will probably come back for his blocking. Thomas has not lived up to his contract but surely we don't just cut him bc we know what he can do. So I think we will have the same group next season.

Offensive Line - (takes deep breath)...Linder will be snapping the ball, we know that much. Parnell will probably stick around as depth or may even get another year as a starter. Cann has been surprisingly bad. Maybe we can get a veteran and draft a lineman or 2.

Defense - I'm hoping the new coach switches to a 3-4

Odrick as a DE

Jackson as a DE

Draft a NT or maybe put Day in there?

LB's Smith and Jack inside and Fowler and Yannick as your outside backers.

Secondary - Cyp has shown he can play. Gipson will likely be back at FS. Corners will be Ramsey, Colvin, and maybe draft another since Prince is on a 1 year contract? I'd resign him.

Myers has shown he can be trusted. Norman will be our punter.

Greene blasted on the scene in 2015 as a return man but maybe he can regroup. If not then Lee can.

That leaves the most important spot...Quarterback. I've been hard on Bortles but this will be the most important offseason of his young career. I do think we will draft insurance and he will be judged by the new coach with a clean slate.

Then maybe we can have the season we all hoped for this year....only it will all come together in 2017.
Beachum will be the LT. he's actually played pretty well. If that's our 3-4 line up, teams will run on us with ease. I hope we just go to a more traditional 4-3.

As for Bortles, he will be the starter next season but I'd bring in a veteran QB and draft a guy in the mid rounds. Cut Henne. Let the remaining 4 battle it out for 3 spots.
Quote:Beachum will be the LT. he's actually played pretty well. If that's our 3-4 line up, teams will run on us with ease. I hope we just go to a more traditional 4-3.

As for Bortles, he will be the starter next season but I'd bring in a veteran QB and draft a guy in the mid rounds. Cut Henne. Let the remaining 4 battle it out for 3 spots.

I don't think teams will run on us with ease by switching to a 3-4. With Jack and Smith holding down the middle I think of the old Ravens defenses with talented linebackers and a good NT.
If the Jaguars go to a base 3-4 Defense,  NTs Dontari Poe or Sylvester Williams could easily be the team's top UFA target if at least one of them hits the open market.  

Quote:If the Jaguars go to a base 3-4 Defense, NTs Dontari Poe or Sylvester Williams could easily be the team's top UFA target if at least one of them hits the open market.

Great point. Man I would love to have Poe with him Jackson and Odrick. Our Linebackers would be able to make plays.

Heck we could even run some zone blitz. Poe would be perfect.
Quote:Great point. Man I would love to have Poe with him Jackson and Odrick. Our Linebackers would be able to make plays.

Heck we could even run some zone blitz. Poe would be perfect.

Thanks.

It will be interesting to see how the Chiefs proceed in terms of trying to get Dontari Poe re-signed.   Because the Chiefs don't have a very high priced QB,   they might have the flexibility to get Poe under contract.   The same regarding the Broncos with Sylvester Williams.  
I don't see Julius Thomas, Jared Odrick, Dan Skuta, or Davon House being brought back.

I hope we invest in offensive line early in the draft and run a more traditional 4-3 on defense with Abry Jones as the starting NT.
Quote:I don't see Julius Thomas, Jared Odrick, Dan Skuta, or Davon House being brought back.

I hope we invest in offensive line early in the draft and run a more traditional 4-3 on defense with Abry Jones as the starting NT.

I'm disappointed in Julius Thomas too, but wouldn't you want to have him under a new coaching staff with a new playbook? I'll be honest though, I wouldn't miss Thomas if he wasn't brought back.
Quote: Thanks.

It will be interesting to see how the Chiefs proceed in terms of trying to get Dontari Poe re-signed. Because the Chiefs don't have a very high priced QB, they might have the flexibility to get Poe under contract. The same regarding the Broncos with Sylvester Williams.

Knowing our luck, the Chiefs will lock him up during the offseason.
Quote:Knowing our luck, the Chiefs will lock him up during the offseason.

It's probably around 52-48 % whether Dontari Poe will hit the open market,  with it slightly more likely than not the Chiefs will re-sign him before the FA period begins.

The Jaguars will need a Plan B and C if Poe is their preferred target. 
Canceled
Quote:I don't think teams will run on us with ease by switching to a 3-4. With Jack and Smith holding down the middle I think of the old Ravens defenses with talented linebackers and a good NT.

I do think Beachum will be the starting LT in 2017 as well, not because of good play, but because he's serviceable and in the grand scheme of things, RT, LG and RG are all more immediate needs on the O-Line. 

As far as switching to a 3-4 defense, that's what I have preferred all along. I believe you'd see much better play from Yannick and Fowler if they were moved to OLB and Jack was moved inside. My only concern is that Telvin Smith is too small to play on the inside. Hopefully, I would be wrong and he'd be fine. I'd try him at ILB and see how things went before I'd make a decision. Odrick and Malik at DE and either Roy Miller or Abry Jones at NT would be a much better setup. I could see people wanting to upgrade the NT position and the DE position opposite Malik and that would be fine too. 
Why would we switch to 3-4? Our defense is finally starting to look good in a 4-3 and has 4-3 parts. Telvin and Jack aren't nearly as good as 3-4 ILBs. Malik as a 3-4 DE isn't as good either. 

I think the only reason people are suggesting this is to try to salvage Fowler, at the expense of the rest of the players that are producing well in this scheme. There is no evidence whatsoever that Fowler would be successful as a 3-4 OLB (he wasn't successful when lined up at OLB at UF), and moving a guy who is as unathletic as him to a position where he will play in even more space is probably not a good idea. 

Quote:Why would we switch to 3-4? Our defense is finally starting to look good in a 4-3 and has 4-3 parts. Telvin and Jack aren't nearly as good as 3-4 ILBs. Malik as a 3-4 DE isn't as good either. 

I think the only reason people are suggesting this is to try to salvage Fowler, at the expense of the rest of the players that are producing well in this scheme. There is no evidence whatsoever that Fowler would be successful as a 3-4 OLB (he wasn't successful when lined up at OLB at UF), and moving a guy who is as unathletic as him to a position where he will play in even more space is probably not a good idea. 

I don't think what we do now is that removed from either D.  I think it would mainly be about semantics.  

That being said, if I never hear "Leo" ""Otto" and especially "Lotto" again, I will be very happy.  
we dont need to switch to a 3-4, our defense is perfectly set up for 4-3 we just need one more really great pass rusher.
I can't see the Chiefs letting go of Poe but he is gonna get monster money.

I often wonder what would happen if the Jags went back to using a FB like in the Greg Jones days.

Quote:This isn't a "we need a new Head Coach" thread. That will be taken care of.

This isn't a "who will be cut" thread either. But I wanted to see what you guys thought about our offense and defense for next year.

What do you think about this...

WR1 - Robinson is having an ok season after he made the Pro Bowl in 2015. He is still our number 1 WR.

WR2 - Hurns is being paid as our number 2 but Lee is out playing him right now, but Hurns can still play.

WR3 - Lee has been a joy to watch outside of his drops in week 1. Glad to have him.

FB - Hopefully we draft a solid FB in round 6 or 7, or UDFA but we gotta get back to the basics bc our running game is horrible.

RB - Cook, Fournette, just draft some speed. A homerun hitter. I would keep Ivory as insurance and goal line but he's averaging 3.3 ypc. Same thing with Yeldon.

TE - Lewis will probably come back for his blocking. Thomas has not lived up to his contract but surely we don't just cut him bc we know what he can do. So I think we will have the same group next season.

Offensive Line - (takes deep breath)...Linder will be snapping the ball, we know that much. Parnell will probably stick around as depth or may even get another year as a starter. Cann has been surprisingly bad. Maybe we can get a veteran and draft a lineman or 2.

Defense - I'm hoping the new coach switches to a 3-4

Odrick as a DE

Jackson as a DE

Draft a NT or maybe put Day in there?

LB's Smith and Jack inside and Fowler and Yannick as your outside backers.

Secondary - Cyp has shown he can play. Gipson will likely be back at FS. Corners will be Ramsey, Colvin, and maybe draft another since Prince is on a 1 year contract? I'd resign him.

Myers has shown he can be trusted. Norman will be our punter.

Greene blasted on the scene in 2015 as a return man but maybe he can regroup. If not then Lee can.

That leaves the most important spot...Quarterback. I've been hard on Bortles but this will be the most important offseason of his young career. I do think we will draft insurance and he will be judged by the new coach with a clean slate.

Then maybe we can have the season we all hoped for this year....only it will all come together in 2017.

I think cann is a way better option at LG than RG. He looks more natural over there. I think if we draft a road grading RG and move cann back to the left side it will shore up that side. Or maybe a center and let Linder go back to RG where him and Parnell were locking that side down before Linder got hurt in early 2015.
Quote:I'm disappointed in Julius Thomas too, but wouldn't you want to have him under a new coaching staff with a new playbook? I'll be honest though, I wouldn't miss Thomas if he wasn't brought back.

Slow and consistently out of shape has nothing to do with the playbook or coaching staff.
Quote:Why would we switch to 3-4? Our defense is finally starting to look good in a 4-3 and has 4-3 parts. Telvin and Jack aren't nearly as good as 3-4 ILBs. Malik as a 3-4 DE isn't as good either. 

I agree with your overall point. I really don't see many 34 fits on the current team.
Quote:This isn't a "we need a new Head Coach" thread. That will be taken care of.

We need a new Head Coach !!

Mods, please change the topic of this thread so we can discuss.

Pages: 1 2