Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Having number 1 pick to big a risk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am probbley one of the few here, but I think getting the number one pick is to much of a risk.  If you get a player any postion   espailley     who won nationtial tittles in college he doesn't have much to prove. You get the later picks who have lots to prove that person could be the next tom brady.  I still say we have us our qb of the furture for some reason jags refuse to play him.   If matt scout was to start the games would get closer,and we would start winning as we build montuem for next year,and so on. if I recall the last few years number 1 picks have been a bust except  a few,but majority of them have been busts.

Every draft pick is a risk, some more than others.

When a guy like Bridgewater is at the top of the draft, it is much LESS of a risk. 

Your argument might have been valid last draft, but not this upcoming one. 

You can't draft scared. 

we can just wait for the clock to expire to avoid this problem.

Quote:When a guy like Bridgewater is at the top of the draft, it is much LESS of a risk. 

Your argument might have been valid last draft, but not this upcoming one.

Not only this but being #1 allows you to have your pick of the litter. I'm not convinced bridgewater will have the best career of this years QB draft class but I would rather the Jaguars have him as an option going into the draft incase of Mariotta injury/late season collapse. Thanks to Clowney failing off the field this year bigtime, Bridgewater will be going first and if you have the first pick and don't need a QB then you win boatloads of draft picks.

A majority of them have been busts?

In the last 5 years I'd say 1 might be qualified as a bust.  The jury is out on at least two of them (Newton and Fisher).  

Matt Scott is not the answer at Quarterback.  He's a project that will likely turn out to be nothing, but at least nothing was wasted on him.  

Quote:Not only this but being #1 allows you to have your pick of the litter. I'm not convinced bridgewater will have the best career of this years QB draft class but I would rather the Jaguars have him as an option going into the draft incase of Mariotta injury/late season collapse. Thanks to Clowney failing off the field this year bigtime, Bridgewater will be going first and if you have the first pick and don't need a QB then you win boatloads of draft picks.

I agree that TB is the consensus #1, but can't agree that Clowney has failed this year. He is always double-teamed, which in the NFL translates to other guys making plays. Clowney is a can't miss DE, and we will see if TB is a can't miss QB.
no people keep forgetting about ryan  leaf, and with the luck the jags have had last few years ,and there picks I could see our # 1 turning out to be the a bust. I'm just saying its pssbille.  

Quote:no people keep forgetting about ryan  leaf, and with the luck the jags have had last few years ,and there picks I could see our # 1 turning out to be the a bust. I'm just saying its pssbille.  

Ryan Leaf wasn't a number 1 pick
Quote:A majority of them have been busts?

In the last 5 years I'd say 1 might be qualified as a bust.  The jury is out on at least two of them (Newton and Fisher).  

Matt Scott is not the answer at Quarterback.  He's a project that will likely turn out to be nothing, but at least nothing was wasted on him.  

Newton is starting to really put it all together....and they have garbage at WR this year. Wish we had Cam. 
Quote:no people keep forgetting about ryan  leaf, and with the luck the jags have had last few years ,and there picks I could see our # 1 turning out to be the a bust. I'm just saying its pssbille.  

Just so I am clear, you are suggesting we forget about drafting a QB with the #1 pick and give our undrafted free agent a chance?
Quote:Just so I am clear, you are suggesting we forget about drafting a QB with the #1 pick and give our undrafted free agent a chance?

roflz
@ stroud - I said Clowney has failed off the field. Not on it.
The Jaguars are one of four teams to have never had the first pick in the draft. 

Quote:The Jaguars are one of four teams to have never had the first pick in the draft. 

Hope that changes after this season. 
Lol.

Just take Teddy.  We'll be fine.

Quote:The Jaguars are one of four teams to have never had the first pick in the draft. 

Who are the others?

On topic, having the first overall pick is much less risky now than it was during the previous CBA because of a rookie wage scale that prevents teams from paying millions of dollars just for picking one player near the top of  the first round.
Ketchman said he doesn't think a QB is worthy of the number 1 pick. 

Take that with what you will.

Pages: 1 2 3