Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Case Keenum to start vs. Colts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Matt Schaub is a healthy scratch. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/989285...olis-colts

Quote: 

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans quarterback Case Keenum will start in Sunday night's game against the Indianapolis Colts, coach Gary Kubiak announced Monday.

The decision came despite the fact that former starter Matt Schaub returned to practice after missing the Texans' last game with a sprained ankle and foot.

"[Schaub] is obviously disappointed," Kubiak said. "I wouldn't expect anything else.

"We talked for a long time. He's a competitor. He wants to be the guy in there. I know it's very difficult on him. It's very difficult on me, too."

Keenum was active for the first time in his NFL career two weeks ago against the Kansas City Chiefs. The Texans lost, 17-16, but Kubiak said Keenum's play provided a spark.

That spark was why Kubiak elevated Keenum ahead of T.J. Yates, who entered the season as Schaub's backup.

Schaub struggled prior to the injury he suffered on Oct. 13. He became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw interceptions that were returned for touchdowns in four consecutive games.

Keenum has come a long way in a short time as a UDFA.  Here's your chance kid. Make the most of it.

Why is there two threads?  Mods, need a little help here.

Could Matt Schaub be on the trade market now? He's not a bad QB...
Quote:Could Matt Schaub be on the trade market now? He's not a bad QB...

The Texans would be thrilled to trade Matt Schaub.   However,   his contract is a major obstacle that they probably won't be able to overcome in working out a trade, by today's trade deadline. 
The Schaub era is over in Houston. The Kubiak era is in its dying days.

I know this seems crazy. But looking at the remaining schedule, if the Colts win Sunday night, they will win the division.
Quote:The Schaub era is over in Houston. The Kubiak era is in its dying days.

I know this seems crazy. But looking at the remaining schedule, if the Colts win Sunday night, they will win the division.
Even if we do lose in Houston, I'll be stunned if we still don't win the division. Playing at Houston still worries me and I think it'll be a close game. They always play us tough at Houston and we haven't won there in a while.

Quote:Even if we do lose in Houston, I'll be stunned if we still don't win the division. Playing at Houston still worries me and I think it'll be a close game. They always play us tough at Houston and we haven't won there in a while.

Do you remember who UDFA Arian Foster's coming out party was against? Wink Does lightning strike twice?
Quote:The Texans would be thrilled to trade Matt Schaub.   However,   his contract is a major obstacle that they probably won't be able to overcome in working out a trade, by today's trade deadline. 

Why would anyone trade for him?

He's an older more developed version of Gabbert. It's pretty clear he was never good and whatever stats he managed to get were a product of the team around him carrying him. That's not the kind of QB teams are looking for.
Quote:Why would anyone trade for him?

He's an older more developed version of Gabbert. It's pretty clear he was never good and whatever stats he managed to get were a product of the team around him carrying him. That's not the kind of QB teams are looking for.

I never suggested that a team would consider pay a high or even mid level trade price for Matt Schaub.     However,  if Schaub's contract wasn't a significant factor,   he's someone who some teams could use as a # 2 QB.       Even as a product of a good team around Schaub,   if he was able to pick up a system relatively quickly,   he would be an upgrade as a # 2 QB over some current # 2 QB's on playoff contenders.     Under that scenario,   without the contract as a significant factor,   a 6th or 7th Round pick would have been worth seriously considering.
Quote:I never suggested that a team would consider pay a high or even mid level trade price for Matt Schaub.     However,  if Schaub's contract wasn't a significant factor,   he's someone who some teams could use as a # 2 QB.       Even as a product of a good team around Schaub,   if he was able to pick up a system relatively quickly,   he would be an upgrade as a # 2 QB over some current # 2 QB's on playoff contenders.     Under that scenario,   without the contract as a significant factor,   a 6th or 7th Round pick would have been worth seriously considering.

I just can't agree with that. He has no trade value, and wouldn't have any even if his contract were favorable.

He can't win games, that's the basic problem. He's not a young lion that will come in and push when he gets a chance, he's a veteran who has shown what he is, a game manager that crumbles when the pressure increases.

He might be marginally better than Henne or Gabbert, but if he were playing for the Jaguars you likely wouldn't be able to tell who was playing out of the three if their jerseys were blank.
Quote:I just can't agree with that. He has no trade value, and wouldn't have any even if his contract were favorable.

He can't win games, that's the basic problem. He's not a young lion that will come in and push when he gets a chance, he's a veteran who has shown what he is, a game manager that crumbles when the pressure increases.

He might be marginally better than Henne or Gabbert, but if he were playing for the Jaguars you likely wouldn't be able to tell who was playing out of the three if their jerseys were blank.

If the Seahawks,   49ers,   Bengals,   and/  or Broncos lost their starting QB's for an extended period of time,    I probably would go with Matt Schaub in all 4 cases, compared to what's current on the 4 rosters.    Providing Schaub had enough time to get the system down and work with the team's skill players.          In part because Schaub has been on the winning end of many games in recent seasons,   including 2 playoff wins over the Bengals.    

A change of scenery is probably in the best interest of Schaub and the Texans.       He wouldn't be someone I would wanting starting moving forward.     However,   many teams could do noticeably worse in terms of a # 2 QB.     Schaub performed well enough in the # 2 QB role in Atlanta earlier in his career that led the Texans to trade two 2nd round picks for him.
Quote:I just can't agree with that. He has no trade value, and wouldn't have any even if his contract were favorable.

I don't know about that man. That's a pretty harsh criticism of  a guy who has put up some pretty good numbers in the past. I would definitely say that before his struggles this year he was at worst an average starting NFL QB. 
Yeah not sure what the Schaub hate is for either. He was one of the better QB's in this league for a few seasons until it all quickly fell apart.

The grass isn't always greener, see Jags post Garrard

Texans have a lot of the same talented players.  No new young talent contributing from the last few draft classes will hurt anyone.  

Quote:I don't know about that man. That's a pretty harsh criticism of  a guy who has put up some pretty good numbers in the past. I would definitely say that before his struggles this year he was at worst an average starting NFL QB. 

Quote:Yeah not sure what the Schaub hate is for either. He was one of the better QB's in this league for a few seasons until it all quickly fell apart.

The grass isn't always greener, see Jags post Garrard

No, he was never good. Passing yards are the most overrated stat there is, and his high mark in that stat was only good in today's NFL, not great. He was surrounded by talent, had a hall of fame level talent at WR to throw to, and he consistently came up short.

It's not Kubiak, except in that he kept going with Schaub, it's Schaub just not being a good player.
Case Keenum is playing well.

Its frustrating to see when your own team decides to roll with the likes of Blaine Henne while other options existed.
Quote:Case Keenum is playing well.

Its frustrating to see when your own team decides to roll with the likes of Blaine Henne while other options existed.
Yup add him to the long list of young QBs drafted outside of the 1st round that looks way better then Gabbert
You people puling about Gabbert and Henne need to shutup.  The self-pity really starts wearing thin after a while.

"Hey Case Keenum is playing pretty good."

(in a reedy, whining voice) "Yeah, but we had to pickup Gabbert/Henne."

What's next?

"This Thanksgiving dinner is delicious."

(in the same reedy whiny voice) "Yeah, but it would be better if we didn't have to watch Gabbert/Henne."

Geezus...

I hope Coach Kubiak is ok.  That's scary stuff.  

Andrew Luck looks like Popski from Necessary Roughness out there.

They should address the Oline in the 1st rnd next year. Oh wait...

Pages: 1 2 3