Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: -Malik Jackson, on going from the Broncos to the Jaguars.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
"It has been sobering being on a (losing) team," Jackson said Wednesday, according to TheDenverChannel.com. "You realize that not every team wins 12 games in this league."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...th-jaguars

Hopefully he doesn't ruin too much of his money when he cries himself to sleep in a bed of it each night.

Big deal.  The guy is a professional and got paid.  That's the most important thing to players.  Anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional.

Quote:Big deal. The guy is a professional and got paid. That's the most important thing to players. Anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional.
Theres plenty of guys who never got a ring that would say otherwise.
Quote:Theres plenty of guys who never got a ring that would say otherwise.

I doubt it.  It's all about the money, not the ring.  The ring is just a "bonus".
Quote:I doubt it. It's all about the money, not the ring. The ring is just a "bonus".
Thats very valuable insight from someone who never played. Im glad you can make such matter of fact claims without actually being one of them.
Quote:Thats very valuable insight from someone who never played. Im glad you can make such matter of fact claims without actually being one of them.

I'm glad you can make claims otherwise without actually being one of them.
Quote:I'm glad you can make claims otherwise without actually being one of them.
You can find players talking about missing out on their ring pretty frequently. You can choose not to believe all the players who have stated countless times that winning is important or ignore grown men in tears after losing in the superbowl and continue your overly cynical view on guys in a position youll never come close to and their motivations but im pretty comfortable assuming youre wrong.
Glad he actually cares about winning
You hear ex players lamenting that they never got a championship more than you hear them lamenting that they didn't get paid enough for two reasons. One, it is often rude to talk money in public, and two, the ex players that sports writers try to hunt down for quotes are generally well known and generally are the ones who got plenty of money.
Quote:You can find players talking about missing out on their ring pretty frequently. You can choose not to believe all the players who have stated countless times that winning is important or ignore grown men in tears after losing in the superbowl and continue your overly cynical view on guys in a position youll never come close to and their motivations but im pretty comfortable assuming youre wrong.
Millionaires complaining about a ring is for ego and bragging right to others in the same boat.  Now tell me what former undrafted, ps, and other players released and broke after tryouts are crying about; and lets make this a real discussion.  

Sorry for intruding, but I just had to see your logic and viewpoint more in depth.
Winning is important to some...Jalen Ramsey for example
Some players don't like football and only play because they are good at it.

Some play because it makes them a lot of money and its the only skillset they have.

Some play to win a ring and go down in history.

All different types.
Pot Roast was on the Jay Mahr (sp?) show a few months ago.

Jay flat out asked him about money and winning. He asked Pot Roast;

"If you had the choice between going to Cleveland for alot of money, or New England and making 5 million dollars less per year than what you'd get in Cleveland, what would you choose?"

Pot Roast said New England, because winning was more important. Pot Roast didn't hesitate on his answer.

Jay "needled" him a little, saying things like "cmon man, you can tell us the truth". Pot Roast was serious. Winning was more important.

^That is just one example of many players I've heard over the years state that winning was what mattered to them.

Of course, as others have said, there are players/people with differing opinions. But, winning is very important to a great many of them.
Quote:Big deal. The guy is a professional and got paid. That's the most important thing to players. Anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional.

He said as much when he signed here. He didn't need to meet anyone or be wooed here. We offered the best contract and he took it, and he's been pretty darn good here so far. I just hope the new guy builds a team before Malik peaks, which in all honesty is probably happening now. At 26-27 years old, this guy is in the dead middle of his prime, making a ton of cheddar on a bank-breaking deal, and yet our team is a perennial loser. It would be a shame if we waste this dude's talents and our money at the same time.
Quote:Millionaires complaining about a ring is for ego and bragging right to others in the same boat. Now tell me what former undrafted, ps, and other players released and broke after tryouts are crying about; and lets make this a real discussion.

Sorry for intruding, but I just had to see your logic and viewpoint more in depth.
That whole first sentence is totally baseless.

And yeah if youre talking about practice squad played now released and broke of course theyre not talking about a ring, when you dont have a means of survival thats going to take precedence over a ring you werent anywhere near.
Quote:Pot Roast was on the Jay Mahr (sp?) show a few months ago.

Jay flat out asked him about money and winning. He asked Pot Roast;

"If you had the choice between going to Cleveland for alot of money, or New England and making 5 million dollars less per year than what you'd get in Cleveland, what would you choose?"

Pot Roast said New England, because winning was more important. Pot Roast didn't hesitate on his answer.

Jay "needled" him a little, saying things like "cmon man, you can tell us the truth". Pot Roast was serious. Winning was more important.

^That is just one example of many players I've heard over the years state that winning was what mattered to them.

Of course, as others have said, there are players/people with differing opinions. But, winning is very important to a great many of them.

Seeing as they were both FAs in the same offseason, do you think Derek Wolfe wouldn't trade his deal for Malik's if he were given the opportunity to do so? Because I definitely think he would.

Pot Roast can say what he wants, but he's never sniffed the kind of jack that Malik is making. Wolfe was a better player and got a third of what we gave Jackson. Screw winning, you can't be a father and say no to that for a chance to "win." That's a load of bull, just like Terrance telling everyone he's got his weight under control.
Im not saying every player is all about winning or that they would even take pay cuts to win, thats nonsense. But these sweeping generalizations that the check is the *only* thing thats matters is so baseless and absurd. We literally watched our first round pick crying 10 games into his first nfl season because he didnt want to lose, yannick too, you think theyre crying cause this is going to hurt their checks? Or how about House and Senderrick complaining in the media that they want to play despite the fact that their checks are clearing. And thats just with our own team.

This whole "youre a millionaire so nothing else should matter to you" stance is only taken by people that dont have that money projecting their feelings onto people doing what they cant and have what they dont. Money doesnt mean personal satisfaction, despite what you might think people have goals outside of just acquiring money and surviving and they care about and work hard for those goals. If you dont have that fine whatever but dont act like your lack of ambition is reflective of others.
It's obviously going to be different for each player, BUT come on, if your passionate about anything in life, you'd know that many of these guys are in it to win.
It's always, and I mean always about the money.

Just ask Dwyane Wade. Championships don't matter unless your LeBron James with billion dollar Nike contracts.
Pages: 1 2