Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dave Caldwell Q&A
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/...e-caldwell

Contains a fair amount of "fluff" but also a bit of insight to Caldwell's thinking. 

Quote: 

How would you describe your approach of building the roster? 

DC: We’ve made the commitment to build this through the draft. That’s part of the reason I took this job. Everybody says "I want to build through the draft, I want to build through the draft" but only a select number of them actually commit to it. I firmly believe in doing it. I know we’re going to go through some adversity doing that, but in the long-term, you’ll see success through it. Obviously, we have to pick the right players. I feel like that’s the way to do it, and I felt like this was a market we could do that. The owner is committed to doing it. The head coach is committed to doing it. That’s what we’re going to do. I’m not very patient, so sometimes I tell Shad and Gus, "remind me how we’re going to do this." We’re convicted in our beliefs in doing it. I think it can work here. One thing about Jacksonville, they’re passionate. The perception that maybe the nation has is not accurate, these fans are passionate. They love their Jaguars. It’s a very similar feel to growing up in Buffalo. That city loves their football team. They live and die with them. I feel very similar to the fans here, and the passion that the fans here have.

In before Dr. Glitter gets a 15 minute break from the deep frier to come in and tell us all how he could do a better job.

Time will tell if Caldwell's approach will provide us with a consistently competitive product.  He can't be judged yet for the decisions they've made, and it'll be a year or two before we know for certain if he's got a plan that will put this franchise back on the map. It takes serious stones to say you're building through the draft, then actually do it.  If he winds up being successful, a lot of people here are going to be chowing down on a healthy dose of crow for judging the man a few months into the process. 

Gotta hand it to him.  Instead of wasting money on aging, expensive free agents who might have helped eek out a win or two, he bit the bullet and blew the roster up.  It will pay off in the long run.

If he is so committed to building through the draft, then get the hell on the horn and start moving a few veterans in exchange for more draft choices before the Oct 29 deadline....

Quote:If he is so committed to building through the draft, then get the hell on the horn and start moving a few veterans in exchange for more draft choices before the Oct 29 deadline....
How do you know he's not?  Oh..... you don't know.   Right.   So stop spouting your ignorance of the situation all over the board. 
Quote:In before Dr. Glitter gets a 15 minute break from the deep frier to come in and tell us all how he could do a better job.

Time will tell if Caldwell's approach will provide us with a consistently competitive product.  He can't be judged yet for the decisions they've made, and it'll be a year or two before we know for certain if he's got a plan that will put this franchise back on the map. It takes serious stones to say you're building through the draft, then actually do it.  If he winds up being successful, a lot of people here are going to be chowing down on a healthy dose of crow for judging the man a few months into the process.

FYI in case you wanted to know... you got in with 4 minutes to spare.
Quote:If he is so committed to building through the draft, then get the hell on the horn and start moving a few veterans in exchange for more draft choices before the Oct 29 deadline....
Do you have his phone tapped and a hotline in the kitchen so you can listen in? 

You think you know what's going on behind the scenes, but the reality is you're as clueless as anyone else here.  I know you need to keep the schtick up so people will pay attention to you. Carry on.
Quote:Do you have his phone tapped and a hotline in the kitchen so you can listen in? 

You think you know what's going on behind the scenes, but the reality is you're as clueless as anyone else here.  I know you need to keep the schtick up so people will pay attention to you. Carry on.

Well Caldwell is saying one thing in that article, and then doing something totally against that philosophy by assuring MoJo and Poz that he won't be trying to move them before the deadline. 

Caldwell's #1 focus right now should be acquiring draft picks for veterans,.... - not worrying about MoJo/ Poz's feelings or "making them comfortable". 

Quote:Well Caldwell is saying one thing in that article, and then doing something totally against that philosophy by assuring MoJo and Poz that he won't be trying to move them before the deadline.

Caldwell's #1 focus right now should be acquiring draft picks for veterans,.... - not worrying about MoJo/ Poz's feelings or "making them comfortable".

Plz go

He did that two weeks ago and who was there crying about it? 
Building through the draft is a wonderful concept.  But even the best teams, that have done well in the drafts, have supplemented their roster with free agent signings.  People tend to read into the draft emphasis being preached by Caldwell to mean that no free agents will be signed.    

Quote:Building through the draft is a wonderful concept.  But even the best teams, that have done well in the drafts, have supplemented their roster with free agent signings.  People tend to read into the draft emphasis being preached by Caldwell to mean that no free agents will be signed.    

The Packers under GM Ted Thompson come to mind as an example of what you mentioned.     While Thompson uses the draft for the vast majority of his player acquisition,  UFA CB Charles Woodson turned out to be one of Thompson's best additions.      For many years with the Packers,   Woodson was a differential player.
the problem with building through the draft is it might take awhile. like 3-4 more drafts to be a contender  Wallbash

Quote: People tend to read into the draft emphasis being preached by Caldwell to mean that no free agents will be signed.    

He's signed a number of free agents already.  Why would anyone think he won't sign more?  I don't think that most of us are quite that naive.

I think it's more about not spending big money on free agents - although I could see him spending a bit more in the coming offseason than he did in the last.  

If he built the new roster solely through the draft it might take 5 years to field a playoff team.   28 players on the 53 man roster weren't here a year ago and we didn't have 28 draft picks...
Quote:How do you know he's not?  Oh..... you don't know.   Right.   So stop spouting your ignorance of the situation all over the board. 
Gheez NYC...Grumpy today? We know Caldwell is working on it but I feel the same as TMD. We have serviceable players on this roster that will not be on the team next year. Why not extract value from those that are here?
Quote:Gheez NYC...Grumpy today? We know Caldwell is working on it but I feel the same as TMD. We have serviceable players on this roster that will not be on the team next year. Why not extract value from those that are here?
Oh - I completely agree with Caldwell trading a couple of vets for picks. I'd like to see another one or two trades.  I'm just tired of the folks claiming to know what he is or isn't currently doing to make that happen. 

I think a few posters are wrong to assume that Caldwell isn't conducting trade negotiations for a handful of vets.   I can't imagine a scenario in which Caldwell hasn't reached out to a few other front offices and fielded a few offers from others.  I seems silly to think he wouldn't try. It's a huge part of his job. Whether or not he can come to terms with a partner remains to be seen. 

(bottom line - bashing Caldwell for not doing something he's  almost certainly knee-deep in the middle of doing is what I take issue with - sorry for being grumpy about it  Big Grin  I'll cheer up after dinner and drinks.) 

Just so long as those draft choices live up to your imagined true value, right? Otherwise, he's still terrible.
Quote:http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/...e-caldwell

Contains a fair amount of "fluff" but also a bit of insight to Caldwell's thinking. 
Right or Wrong the truth is this is going to be a long process.  It could literally take 5 years to get this team to be a real contender.  Better get use to be bad because we are going to be that way for atleast another season. 

Just hoping this rebuild is much more succesful than the last.  Caldwell is much better at this compared to old Gene.
Quote:Just so long as those draft choices live up to your imagined true value, right? Otherwise, he's still terrible.

With Monroe, he should have done better valuewise...

with any trades he makes at this point with older vets I don't care what he gets, just get something. Don't stand pat with these players for the rest of the year. 
Quote:Well Caldwell is saying one thing in that article, and then doing something totally against that philosophy by assuring MoJo and Poz that he won't be trying to move them before the deadline. 

Building through the draft doesn't mean getting rid of every little bit of talent on your team.
Pages: 1 2